Problems after power commander

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Blunderbuss, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Blunderbuss Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Hello! I'm new to the board, I didn't see the usual introduction thread so hopefully I'm not bypassing the usual formalities. I'm out in the Phoenix AZ area and have been a proud owner of a husky terra for a year now. I recently had some modifications done at my nearest dealership (Tucson). I went down a tooth in the front sprocket and also had a power commander installed. Right away on my long ride home the bike started chugging when the rpm's dropped bellow 4k in 3rd and 4th gear. I called the dealership and they said it wasn't their issue, call power commander. Since then the bikes stalls out randomly on deceleration. It also randomly idles high when started (3k rpm's), this can happen if the bike is hot or cold. I've also had the idle stick at 4k rpm's while on the road. Anytime I'd pull the clutch in it the idle would just skyrocket! I've waited on the phone with power commander on two separate occasions, I waited so long the first time I just gave up. The second time I was only I hold for half an hour. Power commander let me know that this wasn't their problem either. Apparently the unit does not control the idle. At least that's what this fella said. So now I've got a bike that runs worse than when I brought it in and no one wants to take any credit for it. Any ideas?
  2. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
  3. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Have you hooked a computer to the PC to see what it's doing? What are the status lights doing? Check the map that's loaded, if you see any big changes between adjacent cells that may be the problem.

I would suggest taking the PC out of the circuit and try it. If it was wired with a fuse just take the fuse out and see if it clears up, if it doesn't it's not a PC problem.

I have a PC and an Autotuner on a 630 and it's always a work in progress.

There are lots of folks here that know a lot more about these things than I do, maybe they can help.
  4. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Hi Blunderbuss, Welcome!

I'm in Tucson, so give me a holler. I would be willing to help out. Check your PM.

You might try these guys http://www.evansteelperformance.com/Site2/

That is where I go for my dyno work. $100/hr I think, but they're good. Small friendly place.

I'm sure you have tuners in the Phoenix area that are capable as well. They all will be busy, so schedule ahead of time.
  5. dmw_az Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    500hp Dodge SRT4
    Where are you located in Phoenix? As mentioned, the tuners for these bikes take some fiddling with. I have the EJK and for the most part it works well, but at times the bike does not behave well.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    You can, by plugging in a pc to the PCV using the PC software, view the fuel map and see what changes it is making/adding to your ECU state. You can save that map on your PC and then zero out the entire PCV table and "send" back to the PCV, and will then be running the bike as if there was no PCV attached. Should then be like prior to the install. Have it dynoed or manually adjust tables based upon another users good map/table who runs the same map as your stock ECU is holding.
  7. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
  8. Blunderbuss Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 terra
    Thanks for all the help! I haven't had a chance to get any trouble shooting done yet but I will soon. I'll report back with what I find out. I'd love to meet up with you AZ folks too when you have some free time.
  9. DBHUSKY Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada

Hey, I had the high idle problem with my bike after installing a power commander 5, random 3-4k idles. I found that it was a vacuum line. When I took my evap stuff off, there is a brass nipple on the top left portion of the engine near the throttle actuator that sits on the top of the engine. Some people (after doing some reading) forget to block off the vacuum inlet (it is pulling in air, throwing off air/fuel mixtures) and others have a dry rotted block off or hose. Mine turned out to be dry rotted after only 1 year of doing the block off (prob from the serious heat this engine puts off, hence the black rear brake fluid some owners get). Anyway, once you block it off, reset your bike (disconnect the battery and let it sit for 30 minutes, turn the bike key on but don't start the bike, turn the throttle all the way open and all the way closed three times, then turn the key to off, then back on and start the bike...do not touch the throttle, let the bike idle until the cooling fan comes on. It fixed mine. much more power and a dead steady idle at 1400 or so. Hope this helps.
    mcalistr likes this.
  10. jetsun Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 Honda cb500f
    Hi tere

just came back after a ride after having PCVinstalled
    it ran ok for 20 minutes then after some engine braking action Idle started hanging around 3, 4k....same as yours...?!

Im not en expert mechanic can you be more specific with the "evap stuff" maybe you got a picture

thanks a lot