1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Primary gear / crank tapper question...

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by motojason, Oct 29, 2014.

1. motojason Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430 CR, 83 250 CR, 82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX500, KX250, KX125, FE570, TMEN 300
    Hello,
    Will an 85-87 WR/XC/CR 250 primary gear fit on the tapper of an 83 250 CR crank? I know the tooth count is different, but I only need to know if the gear will fit on the crank.

Trying to use a later 5 spring clutch that has more plates, but the diameter/ tooth count of the basket is larger. I know the primary gear that goes with that basket only has 30T, my '83 primary gear has 32T. The kick start idler drive gear at the base of the basket is the same with 17T.

Thanks! -Jason
  2. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Hi.

Yes, the TAPER is the same on all of the left side crank ends.

Andy
    justintendo likes this.
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I believe the gear on the back of the clutch, the intermediate gear, and the kick starter gear all must be compatible. I believe around 1984 threr was a change, so make sure they are the same (compatible) pitch and tooth count. Or at least go through the parts sheets and see what I am referencing. I believe they made the gears better but not the hardening for the needle bearing on the kicker gear so not sure if it was an improvement overall or not.
    justintendo likes this.
  4. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Fran is right, you have to have the entire set, the primary gear, clutch basket, idler and kick start gear. They changed in '84 when they went to the all steel basket, so 84-up is compatible but your '83 is not.

Also, if all you want is the extra plate, you dont have to go to the 5 spring clutch, all you have to do is order the '84 plates, they are thinner which allows you to run one more of each plate, they will fit right in your '83 clutch basket.
    justintendo likes this.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    That's some excellent work on machining to grind two matching tapers without a keyway and not have them slip. I'm impressed with the quality of the Swedish workmanship. These gears, shafts, trannies are works of art. These trannies are so strong they can handle engines from a 250cc to a 500cc 2t engine. It's the Swedish engineering combined with there workmanship. Don't forget the quality of the Swedish steels too.
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The key on a tapered shaft like a magneto is purely for alignment, it does not hold anything, the taper fit alone is what holds it in place. The key is intentionally made of softer material so if the part does slip it will shear the key. Sachs engines up to the 250/350 7 speed have taper fit countershaft sprockets with no key, and aftermarket ignitions like PVL and MZ-B/Powerdynamo do not use the stock flywheel key.
  7. motojason Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 430 CR, 83 250 CR, 82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KX500, KX250, KX125, FE570, TMEN 300
    Thanks guys! Great info, just what I needed to know.