1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

POWERDYNAMO MZB IGNITION

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by eveready, Sep 23, 2016.

1. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1976 honda elsinore, 84 IT490 Yamaha
    Has anyone here had any business with the German factory direct online shop? The reason I ask is because of the price difference compared to buying here in the US.
  2. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    I just recently got mine from there. Took about a week to get it. Make sure to get the puller as well. I got the A/C system that used my existing mounting plate as it was slightly less expensive. Kit number 71 25 799 for my '87 430. Easy install and I recommend them. My cost all up was $313.
  3. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Just as an aside, some folks are concerned about the lack of a key way in the rotor (flywheel). Using machinery handbook as our reference we find tapers less than 15 degrees tend to be "self locking" (for example the common Morse taper as used on drill presses). The taper on our crankshaft easily meets this criteria. Torque to spec, re-torque after a short time running and you are good to go. Don't forget to lap the new rotor to your crank.
    DaveM likes this.
  4. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I think I will go that route. I have a 76 360wr with bad Motoplate. All of the Husky supplers want $500 plus shipping, compared to $270 plus shipping. Hard to believe someone has to make $200 on a part, but I find that a lot on Vintage Husky parts.
    DaveM, justintendo and Darrel78 like this.
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I have bought 2 of these recently. The lack of a keyway makes no difference at all. Just make sure you lap the flywheel to the shaft. Mine was the DC system for my '78 390 Auto and '78 390 WR six speed. Brilliant ignitions !
    2premo, DaveM and Darrel78 like this.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Good info you guys. However the keyless rotor seems like a timing hassle even though the taper fit is plenty to secure the flywheel/rotor. The key way provides an easy reference where the flywheel/rotor needs to mount for proper timing. Don't you need to use a timing disc or dial indicator every time the flywheel/rotor is installed?
  7. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    I would think that you would need to time the flywheel each time it is removed. That's the price to pay for this setup with no key way provided. In my application this is acceptable to me. Not sure how often flywheel removal is required but this would be an extra step.
    justintendo likes this.
  8. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    and not that big a deal to throw the dial indicator in there and time it up. would be nice if there were a key way tho.
    Darrel78 likes this.
  9. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    No, you do not have to retime the rotor every time you remove it. When you do the initial installation, set the engine at TDC without the flywheel installed and mark the cases to line up with keyway. After you set the timing rotate the engine back to TDC and mark it on the cases to line up with the timing mark on the rotor. If you have to remove the rotor just put the engine on TDC and line up the marks.
    2premo and Darrel78 like this.
  10. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Darrel,
    I just installed a PowerDynamo AC ignition on my 87 250 rebuild. Is the AC version a digital or analog ignition?
    Do I need to use a thin electrode spark plug and a non-resistor plug cap? I think it came with a plug cap.

Thanks,
    Dave
  11. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    The paper work that came with my system recommended non-resistor plugs and caps. I'm running a NGK B8ES plug in mine. I'm thinking that the A/C system is a simple analog system. Mine is working well so far; no complaints here.
  12. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Dave, I used an H4 halogen headlight bulb in mine after getting the power dynamo system installed. Very bright and easy to see at night now.
    everfree likes this.
  13. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Thanks, I'm running B8ES plugs in all my Swede Huskys.
    I think I timed the bike right, based on the instructions. Used a dial gauge in spark plug hole, found TDC then moved back the rotor to 2.0mm BTDC.
    Guess I'll see when I try to start it. :-)
    2premo, justintendo and Darrel78 like this.
  14. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

For what it is worth the HPI ( Horse Power Ignition) also uses a Keyless Rotor.
  15. Drew Smith Husqvarna
    AA Class

Very disappointing no one here appreciates the value of an American distributor providing tech support I have several Powerdynamo units and am happy to support a small business
    disonny and Four Digit like this.
  16. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Hi Drew, I'm happy to support a US distributor but $150 price difference is a bit much.
    Pete
  17. eveready Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 360 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well it's time to order a new POWERDYNAMO MZB IGNITION. My question is do I or the AC or DC? I would like to run Preston Petty enduro lights without a battery.
  18. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    You can use either AC or DC with incandescent bulbs and no battery...

If you want to use an LED bulb you'll need the DC system... DC will also let you add a small battery if you ever decide to (can come in handy if engine stalls).
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    AC vs DC question
    cars haven't used generators for decades but have DC operating systems
    they use a rectifier, it cuts half the wave to allow only one half the sine to be DC
    you can find motorcycle rectifiers too since most street bikes run AC charging systems
  20. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Both PD systems are AC power out of the stator... DC system has a rectifier/regulator. AC system has only a regulator.