Post Recall results log - TR650

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, May 22, 2018.

1. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    I'm starting this thread as a reference for others to use when considering to do the recall or comparing results after the recall. Can we follow a similar format please and keep it tidy and clean. Please feel free to add problems that you might have also.

Pre recall (OE plugs, injector & air filter);
    1. Cold start stutter or stall (OE plugs, injector, air filter).
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle.
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation.
    4. Number of cranks cold start = 2-3.
    5. Number of cranks hot start = 1.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom slight hesitation off idle, others ok.

Post recall results (OE plugs, injector & air filter) after four cold starts and short rides only;
    1. Cold start stutter or stall. Gone
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. 99.9% gone
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. 99.9% gone
    4. Number of cranks for cold start =2-3. No change
    5. Number of cranks for hot start =1. No change
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom slight hesitation off idle. Bottom is better, others no change.

How do I feel about my Terra now? As they would say in the old days "I'm tickled pink":) and would recommend getting it done.
    Slick likes this.
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Pre recall (OE plugs, injector & air filter); (Brisk Plugs, 650gs EJK fueler, K&N Filter)
    1. Cold start stutter or stall (OE plugs, injector, air filter). Still some cold start stutter, but greatly reduced
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. Occasionally. Still some.
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. Still some
    4. Number of cranks cold start = 1. Sometimes 2.
    5. Number of cranks hot start = 1. 1.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom stall off idle, others ok. All ok.

Post recall results (Brisk plugs, OE injector & K&N air filter) after almost a year of usage.
    1. Cold start stutter or stall. Gone, higher idling solved it.
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. As before, still some (but rare)
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. None
    4. Number of cranks for cold start =1. Often have to crank twice
    5. Number of cranks for hot start = 1. No change
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom is perfect now, mid has less zest, high no change.

How do I feel about my Strada now? Just for solving the off-idle stall problem the recall is a no-brainer. Low rpm is so strong now that I rarely feel the need to go over 3000rpm in most scenarios. I'm still using the EJK in very conservative settings to make up for the slight loss in mid-range, but that's because I occasionally do some "high performance" touring on the mountains, otherwise for everyday use the bike is perfectly fine as it is (post-recall that is)
    kiwiape likes this.
  3. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Pre recall (OE plugs, injector & air filter); OEM plugs & injector, Pod Mod, Booster plug & pipes. (No change with other plugs.)
    1. Cold start stutter or stall = None with 8532184 firmware. delicate with newer 8543015 firmware. (updated on 11/02/16)
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. = None
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. = None
    4. Number of cranks cold start = 1 with 8532184 firmware. 3,4 or 5 with updated 8543015 firmware.
    5. Number of cranks hot start = 1 sometimes 2 regardless of firmware
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. = Bottom end stall off idle, others ok. Stalling mainly on hot days but couldn't really pick it. Monthly resetting with GS911 helped for about 1500k's in winter & 1000k's in summer.

Post recall results (OE plugs, injector & air filter) As above minus BP
    1. Cold start stutter or stall.= Fixed
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. = None
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. = None (occasionally some lose of full engine braking)
    4. Number of cranks for cold start = 2 or 3, improved
    5. Number of cranks for hot start = 1 or 2, no change
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end = Bottom end is dead reliable now. No change with others.

How do I feel about my Terra now? Deciding on the ECU upgrade was a piece of cake decision for me. After pushing the issue for so long with the help of many others, it fortunately worked out for the better. Just a couple of things post-recall. Still every about 2 to 3000k's I feel the tuning goes off, over time unsteady idle & harder starting creeps back in. Its time to reset and recalibrate. One other thing if I may, the improved bottom end is twofold with no cats. Very happy camper.
    kiwiape likes this.
  4. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Pre recall (plugs, injector & air filter); Pulstar plugs, OEM injector, pod mod, GPR single exhaust CAT removed.
    1. Cold start stutter or stall (OE plugs, injector, air filter). occasional but few minutes warm up idle helped lots.
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. none
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. none
    4. Number of cranks cold start = 1-2
    5. Number of cranks hot start = 1.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom slight hesitation off idle, others ok.

Post recall ; as above
    1. Cold start stutter or stall. Gone
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. some at first when reflashed ECU installed but seeds to have mostly dissapeared.
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. none
    4. Number of cranks for cold start =1-2
    5. Number of cranks for hot start =1.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end. Bottom slight hesitation off idle.Agree bottom end is better. No change elsewere
    How do I feel about my Terra now? Love riding it. Done ~ 50,000 km now. Hoping for many more years together but wondering what to replace her with when she carks it one day :-{
    kiwiape likes this.
  5. Benergy Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW, Ducati, Hondas
    Pre recall with OEM components- hesitation from stop prior to complete warming. All other functions good.

Post recall - no torque available below 5k rpm; needs much clutch slipping and patience. rev limiter not working.

After over 3 1/2 months at 2 different dealers, it appears that I possess a parts bike, not much joy in that!
    kiwiape likes this.
  6. westcoaster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra 2013
    Pre recall (OE plugs NGK MAR9A-6J, OE injector, OE air filter)
    1. Cold start stutter or stall: No real cold start stutter, but our winter temps typically around 5-10degC/40-50degF. Idling around 1,500rpm
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. No over-runs
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. On-throttle stalls at pull-off - I had a few, usually when not at full operating temp
    4. Number of cranks cold start: 1, sometimes 2.
    5. Number of cranks hot start: 1.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end: Bottom stall off idle, others ok. All ok.

Post recall results (NGK CR8E plugs, OE injector, OE air filter)
    Bike has beens standing 22 months, serviced and ECU updated same time. Only a handful of short runs so far, will update after some more mileage.
    1. Cold start stutter or stall: unchanged
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. As before, no over-runs
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation: On-throttle stalls at pull-off - None so far. Seems to be solved.
    4. Number of cranks for cold start: Now 2-3 cranks. Might be battery is not at full power. Will check soon.
    5. Number of cranks for hot start: 1-2, No real change.
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end: Seems same across the range. Though I have not ridden for nearly 2 years and have not done TPS reset.

How do I feel about my Terra now?
    Firstly, great to be back on the bike!
    So far, the off-idle stall problem seems to be solved. Therefore a re-flash was worth it. Took about 2 weeks from RSA (ECU sent to Magnetti Marelli Italy). But as noted above, I need to
    (a) check the battery,
    (b) follow up on the HOTTER plug fitted by the agent, despite my asking for a COLDER plug (WTF!??),
    (c) do a TPS reset and
    (d) ride some more for longer distances.
    kiwiape and PaulC like this.
  7. Navigare Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr650 Strada
    Pre recall (OE everything) 2013, bought new in '14 12k km's
    1. Cold start stutter or stall: none
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. none
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation. happened many times on cold and sometimes even on hot
    4. Number of cranks cold start: 1-2 somethimes 2
    5. Number of cranks hot start: 1-2
    6. Power - bottom, mid and top end: fine

Post recall results (OE everything)
    Decided to update after some dangerous left turns stalls. Just few rides, but it seems problem is gone, very happy on slow technical forrest single tracks and gymkhana seems fun now! Idle seems higher rpm a bit.
    1. Cold start stutter or stall: no change
    2. Abrupt over-run to on-throttle. no change
    3. Over-run to on-throttle cut or hesitation:problem seem to solve
    4. Number of cranks for cold start: no change
    5. Number of cranks for hot start: no change
    kiwiape likes this.