Post recall nightmare

Discussion in 'TR650' started by James Rideout, Oct 2, 2017.

1. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Don't even know where to begin really. Had my Terra since New, completely stock. Pre recall bike ran fairly good with the exception of a stall here or there or erratic idol when really hot, pretty much the same as everyone else.
    Post recall is where the shit storm begins!! Got a call that the recall was done, bike ran fantastic......for about 30km. Then I got the EWS error.
    Brought it back to the dealer who have have no idea why it's happening. They sent the codes and info off to Magnelli for an answer....that was 2 months ago.

3 weeks ago the dealer called me said my bike starts again right out of the blue, they never did anything too it. Told I could take it and use it while awaiting a response from Magnelli who made out ECU's.

The very day I brought it home, 400km round trip at that on a trailer. Drove day 1 beautifully, day 2 EWS error. But it's intermittent...usually after the 3rd try of the key it will work.

New update as of today. Still an intermittent EWS error but it's driveable, afraid to go too far from civilization. The "snow flake " symbol starts flashing to say it's icy out...it was 16 deg so it's too warm for it to actually come on. Then the RPM needle dropped to zero ... bike still works and rides fine but no RPM indication.

So post recall I have a intermittent EWS error, snow flake symbol flashing when it's warm outside and no RPM indication unless I crack the throttle and it will go to 1000 RPM.. it's probably at or above 6k in reality.

Got no spoofer, battery terminals are clean and tight and it's a full charge.

The KTM/Husky dealer is at a loss on what to do...i want to burn the POS to the ground.

Does anyone out there have an idea what's going on with my bike...im up for any suggestions.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  2. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    did you check if the infamous plug above the headlamp is loose? Be careful when you work there to not damage the cable going to the antenna ring around the ignition lock.
    Husky_164.JPG
  3. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    The checking of the plug behind the headlight and addition of the extra ground strap were the first things I did when the EWS error showed up a few months back. Sorry should of wrote that in my post.
  4. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    If it was just the EWS error, maybe its the wire from the Antenna.
    Also maybe some other accessory causing interference?

Sadly it sounds like you have a messed up ECU and/or instrument pod.

I feel for your situation, but it looks like you are going to have to wait for a new components.
    Its very disheartening that you have already waited 2 months and it sounds like that option is not already in the works.
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Firstly can you obtain the error codes from the Dealer ?, they will be a guide to the cause of the problem.

The fact that there is a problem wit the tacho display plus EWS errors suggests a CAN Bus problem between the BMS-E and dash, check the connections
    Mark_H likes this.
  6. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Wayne,
    Is there any value in disconnecting the ECU, putting dielectric grease on any pins and plugging it back in?

I typically do this on marine electronics and the like that do wierd things, but know squat about ECUs.
  7. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    I was under the belief that dielectric grease was an insulator. How would that help.
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Yes, unplugging and reconnecting ECU's plus looking at the socket pins for dirt/corrosion etc can be a good idea, some sensor circuits are very low power so poor connections can cause grief. I am not a fan of dielectric grease though, it can cause as many problems as it solves where used to excess

With CAN Bus on the TR650 there are connectors in the harness for ABS and alarm which are not used on many machines, I noticed one Terra here with intermittent EWS errors had a disused socket tied up to the main harness facing towards the front of the machine near the Coils and suspected noise may have been a problem, on the other without errors the same socket was tied up facing towards the rear of the machine well away from the coil.

The other thing I notice is with some connectors they can look like they are plugged in but not properly seated and can cause poor connections. Sussurf can tell you about not clicking connectors in fully so just going over and pushing/pulling on the connectors can be worthwhile at times to make sure all is OK
    sussurf and mag00 like this.
  9. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Pulled the seat and the plastics, disconnected and connected every plug i could find. Disconnected the battery over night and tried it again.....still the same results.

Turning the key the dash does make a noise like always, the normal dash lights ligjt ip the extinguish. Fuel pump turns on and the bike will start. It does take quite a few cranks before it catches since the RPM gauge gave out.

The RPM gauge does work if you rev the engine high. But only to about 750 or 1K. When the key first turns on and the normal FI start up procedure starts the RPM gauge only deflects to about 2k then goes to zero.

The EWS error comes on about every 2nd or 3rd start. Reset the key and it will go again.

There is quite a noticeable stumble now when the throttle is quickly moved. Almost like a carb bike when it isn't jetted right. Never done this before until these problems started happening.
  10. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    if you toggle to ambient temperature with the S button, does it show a temperature below 2C (which i think is the threshold for the snowflake to come on)? Just wonder if the ECU may get conflicting signals from the temp sensor in the air box and engine temperature that upsets it.

The tach occasionally does not do it's full turn on startup on mine too, only goes to 2k and then drops back. My first Terra did that too occasionally. Didn't really affect starting and running though. I once or twice had a "ECU lost communication to dash" error in the GS911 log indicating that there might have been a loose connection somewhere.

Do you know if a proper and full adaption reset and rebuild has been done after the reflash?
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
  12. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    Wow, you've got it bad! My post recall pails... Bike doesn't like to start now, taking multiple tries. Then it ideas high and erratically. Died going into a corner once.
  13. bogwheel Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650?
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bultacos
    Apparently their are a few having cold starting and erratic running problems of late. Mine went back to have the ECU resent for another go, but instead marelli sent them a solution to try using the new software ?? Bike feels different, lumpier idle, more positive from take off, but not as smooth. Went to start it cold the next day, and still takes heaps of cranking and about four goes of stalling to eventually start.
    Seen other bikes that start cold after only a few cranks.
    Over it!!
  14. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    Bogwheel from Ipswich. AzOzRider from Brisbane. Did you go to the same dealer?
    Mine is running great at the moment ecept it has idles high on a couple of occasions (bars straight ahead with cable slop).
    Could call it boring.
    But I do remember, last summer and autumn, when the humidity was high the stalling problems were worse.

Head scratch.
  15. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    There is only one dealer. They suck... BAD! Sabotaged my bike while there because I wouldn't spend an assload on a service I know they would only charge for and not perform anyway. I've ridden this bike all over the continent, in every kind of weather, in every season, in every elevation Aus has to offer. Humidity has nothing to do with running great one day, and instantly not the day it comes back from a re-flash. I've never had the troubles I have now. I've reported the whole mess to the safety recall folks here in Aus. Can't find a contact for Husqvarna other than writing to them in Switzerland. The distributor was fired so if there is a new one, nobody will tell who it is. Appears to be more of KTM trying to eradicate these bikes. Hate to say it, but I think Italy sabotaged the bikes with the new flash. It isn't a secret KTM wants all of these off the road.
  16. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200
  17. MatLax Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha TW200

Oh sorry, I quoted you but was aiming my answer at James Rideout!
  18. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    I've tried everything noted in all the threads on this forum I could find. Still same issues.
    Intermittent EWS error - re-connected and cleaned every connector I could find, added the extra ground strap and done wiring checks.
    Cranks over for a good 5 seconds before it catches since the Recall when it's cold.
    RPM gauge doesn't go above 1K no matter how high the motor revs.
    Once running the throttle response isn't very good. under light input it works fine. When your crack the throttle hard there is a very noticeable bog, similar to a carb bike where the exhaust/ intake was changed but isn't jetted right. I know weird for an FI bike.

I'm almost 100% sure its the ECU causing this, there wasn't an issue until the ECU was sent off for the recall. The bike ran fantastic for a few weeks post recall but as the KM's rolled over the problems started popping up one at a time.
    Only other thing I can think of is a bad voltage regulator. Sort of similar issue I found an the F800 forums. Except those guys never had EWS problems.

I will say my dealer has been very good with it all. He seems more pissed about the Husky/BMW issues than I am and the issues my bike is having. They have been in contact with Husky NA a few times and keeps pressing them. The issue is BMW and Magneli don't want to help at all. The only reason BMW and Megneli helped at all is because of a Government recall so they were forced too.

Riding season on the East Cost of Canada is pretty much over now but I hope it gets resolved soon. I've driven about 500km this entire season on my Terra :(
  19. AzOzRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    HD, BMW, Suzuki, Kawi
    In my case, I am now dealing with Husqvarna Australia. They called after rI filed a complaint with the feds here. I went down on my bike in a corner when the thing cut out. The recall work (flash of ECU) has made both my bikes much worse. I don't trust them now, so won't put wife back on hers until this is solved. I've been to the dealer 2x... they of course say "all fine". The bikes are not fine. So Husqvarna has asked the dealer to bring them back in and let them connect to them and collect data. From there decisions can be made. I have asked for the old BMW programming to be restored, but no word yet on if they will. Old programming and booster plug was fine. I have addressed with them the fact I was never notified of the recall... I had to just hear about it. They claim to be "working on that".
  20. James Rideout Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rm250, DR650
    Just got off the phone with Husqvarna North America. Though some searching I found their toll free hotline.

They have a new ECU, full Dash assy and a new lock/key assy with antenna on order for it. When it arrives they will sync it all up and install it.

Glad there's movement but there is no estimated time for delivery of parts.

Well that should take care of all my issues. Hopefully after it is all done I can enjoy this bike like the majority of you
    LED likes this.