1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Poor FMF Silencer Fit '08 CR125--Help?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dfeckel, May 20, 2009.

1. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

As everyone with a pulse around here has noticed, I have a new '08 CR125 that I've set up for the woods. I put an FMF Turbinecore 2 spark arrestor silencer on as per the directions, i.e., loosening the expansion chamber mounts and putting a bead of hi-temp silicone at the junction of the pipe and silencer. When putting it all together, I noticed the silencer slid into the pipe only maybe 3/8". No amount of jiggering the pipe could get it to overlap any more and still line up with the subframe mount tabs. If I ignored the mount tabs, then the silencer would slide in almost a full inch. Of course, the mount tabs were then a mile off. I chalked it up to manufacturing tolerances and assumed the silicone would take care of everything. I was a good little boy and waited over 24 hours for the silicone to set before starting it up.

Well, after about four hours of hard running at the Pine Barons enduro last weekend, I had a major spooge mess to clean off my swingarm, shock, and rear brake reservoir. Now, the spooge I am okay with. I was still running the break-in 24:1 ratio with stock jetting, so I expected spooge. However, I expected it from the tip of the silencer, not from the pipe junction.

I cleaned everything up the best I could, and then remounted the silencer with fresh silicone and hose clamps around the rubber gasket thinger that goes around the junction. I haven't ridden it yet to see if that worked.

I suppose my question is whether that minimal overlap of the pipe and silencer is normal?

Does anyone else need hose clamps around the rubber gasket thinger to control leakage there?

Anyone care to bet whether what I've done will even work?
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My two strokes all leak a certain amount at the stinger/muffler junction, but not too much. Sadly, I can't boast that I have a Husky in the group, but these'll do for now. I've seen some people zip tie the rubber connection cover with good results. I might try that some time. But all my connections seem to fit properly with the right amount of overlap. I have two that are FMF to FMF and one that is stock exhaust to FMF.
  3. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you recall whether the stinger and silencer overlap more than 1/4" to 3/8"? I refitted my stock silencer before putting the FMF back on to see if it overlapped better and it didn't. Maybe I'm making a lot out of nothing...
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I haven't measured, but I'm sure they go on quite a bit further than 1/4 to 3/8 inch. If I had to guess from looking at the drool and rub marks when I have them disassebled and all the shoving and wiggling of the muffler I have to do when reinstalling them, I'd have to say that they overlap at least an inch.
  5. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hmmph. That's what I thought. Here's to hoping my hose clamp and silicone hold tight:cheers:!
  6. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I guess if there is not enough overlap.....a guy could MIG the joint once and for all...and that would definitely render a leak free union....

I am suspicious that it needs to have some flex in that area though...:thinking: anyone try this....it would complicate service for sure

my CR has dribbled there from time to time....it does get annoying...as dirtdame has mentioned most two strokes dribble a bit...
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Once you go to 50/1 mix it won't be as bad.:thumbsup:
  8. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

So, 50:1 is the hot ticket? I was a little surprised to read in the manual that Husky still recommends 32:1. It ran awesome on 24:1, with a strong midrange and shrieking top end, but I noticed when I switched to 32:1 it was a little flatter in the mid. If I go 50:1, then I'll definitely have to lean things out a bit jetting-wise.

I think there does need to be flex in the stinger/silencer junction. The expansion chamber is rubber mounted, and I'm thinking a weld to the silencer would break often due to engine vibration. Plus, that really would make any pipe removal a real pain.

I suppose if my silicone and hose clamps fix doesn't fix, then I might fab a bracket to mount the silencer with more overlap, or even have the silencer mount tabs repositioned.
  9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Take the silencer to a good welding shop and have them TIG the brackets in correct position. I hope the '09 FMF fits!:busted:
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

A few things 1 on my 2008 CR my FMF turbine core spark arrestor fit fine
    2 i did change to a fatty pipe with the same spark arrestor and it fit fine
    3 i do wrap a little header tape to the joint and then but a hose clamp
    on it it keep the tape in place
    4 when i changed from the stock pipe to a FMF Fatty i get zero drip at
    the joint nothing at all
    5 i always run 32 to 1 with motorex 2 T and i do use race gas
    6 remember the oil mix lubes the motor and the crank bearings
    7 My 2006 CR 125 is still out there leading in points for the AMA
    National Hare and Hounds Expert 125 class on the original 4 year old
    STOCK bore with the original STOCK never been touched lower end
    8 this is what has worked for us even stock jetting
    9 Both bike will be getting a rebuild before the next National
  11. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

what i did with mine was wrap duct tape around it till the connecter fit like it should, thrn i wrapped and tied safety wire around the connecter and no leaks.
  12. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my 06 the FMF fits just like the stock unit. Assuming the stock silencer fits correctly something sounds wrong. Can you loosen the pipe mounts and maybe even the subframe and get it any better. If that does not work can you ovalize the silencer mounting holes to get a better fit?

On the oil, I can get zero spooge with 32:1, it just has to be jetted correctly.
  13. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Next time I have the subframe up, I'll try to get things to line up better with it loose.

Come to think of it, the subframe position could be the issue. I've had it up already, and maybe I didn't get it quite repositioned correctly. The stocker doesn't overlap much with the stinger, either. Although I'd be a little surprised if there was that much slop in its mounting to result in my silencer fit problem. We'll see.
  14. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just a follow-up. Hose clamps and silicone did the trick. Ix-nay on the ooge-spay.
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Good deal!:cheers:
  16. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

mine just got in today. i will let you all know how the install goes tonight. maybe get some pics too.
  17. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok, got mine on. had to drill a new hole in the top silencer mount. also wouls be nice if they gave you new gromets and bolts since the silencers tabs are a big thicker then the stock peices.

the important part is its on.

it hasnt fallen off yet

its quieter then the cracked busted a$$ stock silencer.

and it looks pretty
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I've always had issues with FMF stuff, never seems to fit just right.
  19. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the gnarly pipe and the shorty silencer i put on my kx250 fit nice.

i really wanted a pro circuit 296 but they dont make one for my wr.

oh well, im just happy i have a quiet bike now.
  20. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just mounted FMF Gnarly pipe and Power core silencer in less than 5 minutes on my new 08 cr 125, fit just as well on the other 08 125 I race as well.