Pls. look (differences in oil filters, same part #)

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Aug 25, 2017.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi Guys. Just curious as to your opinion on these two oil filters I received in an order for my 630. They're both marked (box and cartridge) as KN-563.

The main thing that has me concerned is "what's inside." As you'll see one has a hole and the other does not. Not talking top hole here- though the pressure plate is a different color that end seems fine- again it's the "what's inside" part (as in the bottom two pics.

They are, overall, exactly the same size, though the pleating is a little different. One is made in China and the other in Thailand.

filter 1.jpg filter 2.jpg filter 3.jpg

So you see what I mean, in terms of "what's inside." Is the one in the middle pic just not "completed" (i.e. did they not drill the whole in that batch?)

I will, of course, study the one that I take out and put in the pone that matches that, but wanted to get your opinion as one may have to be sent back.

Thanks!
  2. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    it is difficult to explain but in my opinion they are both good. they have a somewhat different overpressure bypass system. The gasket is usually rubber in the overpressure bypass valve. I put a picture of my UFI and HIFLO filter Filtro caterina.jpg
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks man- appreciate the feedback.

It's through the other end (inside) that has me puzzled though. One has a hole, and the other not.
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Push the oil relief valve in and shine a torch in it . Bet you'll see light on the inside somewhere
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Good idea- will do.
  6. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi, EricV

the right one filter in my pic is not original part. So I never has used it. Why? Because the hole diameter is not the same. May be I'm crazy... may be not
    (In the second pic you can see the OEM reference number printed on the left one)

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

Same problem in Rotax's pic: I guess left one is OEM while the one in the right is a "cheap copy"

I´m curious... What's the point of not purchasing the original filter? It's only (at least in Spain) aprox. 10€... and it last al least 5.000km
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Just get the Hi Flow filter guys. Always buy a quality oil filter.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I usually use Hi Flow, but had received a gift certificate to Motorcycle Superstore and all they had, in the 563, was KN.

Anyway thanks Motranqui. Not that it's that important, but you guys seem focused on the bypass valve end, which I have no concerns with. My post may have added confusion as I wrote more below the pics, which may have been missed.

It's the other end (actually inside) I'm talking about, wherein you'll see one is solid and the other has a hole through it. The one I ended up installing is the one that's solid/no thru-hole, as that was the same as the one I pulled out.

Still interesting as to why they're different (and curious as to if this has an effect or purpose), what with them being the same brand/number/size, etc. The no-hole one is made in Thailand and the one with the thru-hole is made in China.
  9. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Mototranqui:
    Very small differences in this measurement do not adversely affect the operation. The important is the toughness of the bypass overpressure spring.
    My te630 from the factory mounts UFI filter.
    Currently Hiflo mount
    0 issues for now
    in Italy a hiflo costs around 7/8 euro
  10. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Rotax, I've got two Hiflo 563 that I have never used them. May be your explanation makes me change, thank you

Anyway, HF has 11,5mm bypass diameter while the original has 13,5mm. Besides the bypass toughness of the original is by far higher that the HF (I have both at hand and I have checked it...) So HF filter will open the bypass sooner than the original, that is, will let more easily pass "dirt oil" than the original one. If we suppose that the toughness of the original bypass is correctly calculated, I would not install HF filter...

Anyway may be not a high interest topic to talk about it...

Regarding to EricV´s question, , sorry but I have no idea why one filter has a inner hole while the other one hasn't...
  11. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA

Better a lubricated engine by the filter pass by an engine not lubricated by a dirt filter because it's too old
    Thousands of times use hiflo without any problems.
    Do you buy only original pieces?
    who produces the original filters for husqvarna?
  12. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Yeah, Rotax, it's only a teoric question. Of course better a lubricated engine by the filter bypass than a not lubricated one, I agree 100%. I only raise the possibility that the HF opens the bypass too soon ... :)
  13. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Also in my opinion The Hiflo filter does not open in bypass before the original filter. With 10.38 mmq surface area compared to 14.3 mmq of the original, that hiflo rightly needs a softer spring to operate the same as the original filter.
    Hopefully I've explained correctly in English ...
    motranqui likes this.
  14. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Make sense...
  15. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    No problem - the discussion on the bypass has been interesting so all good.

I did post on Cafe Husky 4-strokes, but no one had a guess on it there either. Kind of interesting as it seems (to me at least) that this difference (the hole/no-hole thing) would cause greater curiosity then the minor differences in the bypass valve (which didn't cause me pause at all. :)

I'm pretty cautious, so it's not likely I'll use the one with the hole through it.