Play in Lower Fork Legs - 08 TE610

Discussion in '610/630' started by Howard70, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

I need some advice!

Took a simple low speed fall last weekend after the rear wheel washed downslope on a slight side hill - no excuses my own inattention.

Afterwards I noticed a slight clunk when the front tire would hit hit anything larger than a small rock or minor rut. Checked the triple clamp / fork leg bolts, etc. could find nothing loose. With the front wheel off the ground there is slight but noticeable fore-aft play in the forks. Assumed it was the steering bearing adjustment and got to that adjustment this morning. Tightened bearings (after loosening the steering nut and the upper triple clamp fork leg bolts) until steering was noticeably tighter (actually slightly too tight), retorqued steering nut and triple clamp bolts. Play still present - so not the steering bearing adjustment.

Backed off the steering bearing adjustment to a proper feel, retorqued all. Removed from wheel and found that play & click is in the lower fork legs. Grasp end of either lower leg with one hand and hold other hand at the upper fork tube / lower fork leg junction and can feel that the play is between the two. Push the lower leg up into the tube an inch or so and the play is still there.

Should there be fore & aft play in the lower legs? I suspect not. Any suggestions about what might cause this and, hopefully any suggested solutions?

Thanks,

Howard L. Snell
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Can anyone look at their 610 forks and check to see if fore/aft play is normal or give input?

The 610s are tough bikes, I don't think a slight fall should cause a problem.
  3. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

The best I can tell not taking the wheel off, is there is no play.
    For Ref. mine is a 08 with about 3500 miles.
  4. rajobigguy Administrator

'06 with about 4000 miles and I don't see any visable play. I guess I could put a bridge gauge on it and see what the actual movement is but I suspect that if you're asking the question then it must be pretty apparent on you're bike.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    An old trick we used to do to forks that had sloppy tolerances was to use some shimming material such as pieces of old feeler gauges which we would slip under the bushings to get the perfect clearances. That was if the forks didn't seem to be damaged, the bushings weren't very worn but the forks were too loose anyway.:busted:
  6. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Reddog, Rajo, & Dirtdame:

Thanks for the replies. I don't need to take the wheel off to feel the play. With the front wheel off the floor the slight fore & aft play feels like the headset (sorry - I'm a better bicycle than moto mechanic) bearings need adjusting. However, tightening them all the way to a point where steering is stiff (thus too tight) doesn't remove the play that can be felt.

I'll probably get a suspension guru to take a look. Or I could just send the forks to Les.........

Howard Snell
  7. Thorton98 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Same here.
  8. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

weird. you are certain its not a wheel bearing issue?

try taking the front wheel off, and playing with each for tube. See if one of the other is messed up.

another thing, but its a real reach, is a loosened up part of the internal forks. It was a minor issue on some Huskys, circa '05. I have seen it. But its rare.

Are the fork tubes straight? Bent in the crash. Knocking when travel goes past a few inches? Just guesses. Its hard to diagnose over the internet.

Sending those forks to Les will be a blessing in disguise. Have him add a compression adjustment. Just some ideas. Good luck and let us know what you find.
  9. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

10. restukey Husqvarna
    A Class

07 610 with a little bit of play. I think it is from the fork bushing. I wouldn't worry about it since your bike is so new. It probably came with it. I was concerned and I called LTR Suspension about it last year. It wasn't a reason to send the forks in. I've kept on riding another 10k with no problems. I thought it was my headset bearings at first, but it was from the fork legs.
  11. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for Additional Replies!

Hey -

Thanks for the additional replies. Interesting to hear that a few of us share the same symptoms and better to hear that they aren't necessarily indicating a problem. I'll keep watching the play and see if it gets more noticeable.

Howard
  12. knary Husqvarna
    B Class

It's only a symptom if there's an illness. :D
  13. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

My wife wouldn't argue with you at all - and she'd maintain that my descriptions of conditions associated with bikes (the Husky or the pedal kind) would qualify as symptoms for that very reason!:thumbsup:
  14. djchan Husqvarna
    A Class

Checked yesterday when I had it on the stand. No fore/aft play in my '06 lower forks.
  15. restukey Husqvarna
    A Class

Patient is suffering from delusions and might be a danger to himself and his bike.
  16. djchan Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey, these forks are so stiff we're lucky there's any longitudinal play.
  17. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :lol::p