1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Pistons

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Caden, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Caden Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 husquavarna 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Honda cx650c
    Ok so my bike has low compression. And I was wondering if I used a replacement piston for the same size but different model would work. I have a 125 Xc but I was wondering if I used the 125 wre would work. If not. Does anyone know where I can get a cheap piston from?
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Pistons for Husqvarnas aren't cheap. It depends on if there is a ridge at the top of the cylinder. If there is no ridge and your piston still looks good a quick pass with a hone and possibly new rings. But mic the bore for wear first. I'm not sure if wiesco offers a 125 husky piston. You might try halls.

Go to eBay and search for 83 husqvarna 125 piston.

I would suggest going through the bottom end at the same time. Crank bearings, seals, gaskets. I had three 85/86 husky 125's that gernaded. Bad crank bearings. Thre was so much play in the crank bearing the internal motoplat rotor took out the stator on all three engines. It cracked were the threads hold the stator. It's not worth taking a chance. These three bikes were ridden hard. On one engine the kid had to ratio cup he eye balled the color of the gas. It was clear when I checked it after it blew up. No oil. It was so hot the rotor hit the stator there was so much play in the bearing.

Don't forget to lap the head to the cylinder. There's no head gasket it's a machined fit.
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

wiseco has not made a 125 Husky piston in over 15 years for those bikes

OEM and those are scarce and expensive $150 about avearge when you find one.

125 used spacres on the pin inside the piston.

do not know of anything that will fit and work right. simply not bore size.. pin size, dimensions, etc
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
  5. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

uhhhhh....thats a chainsaw ring
    2premo likes this.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The pistons run from 75/83 there was no 125cc husky saw in those years I was running the husky 2100 99cc series logging then. I'd change the piston while it's available. There's no replacement for displacement I cut a cord of firewood from standing timber to on the ground bucked up in 50 minutes never broke a sweat in 10 degree weather. I had had coffee in the truck after it was loaded.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Bill that is a chainsaw ring in that e bay post.
    Eric The Leg and Bigbill like this.
  8. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    Wiseco can make them up but wants you to order in batches of time. Would have to got through
    a builder like like Rick Horvart who is main buyer for husky pistons.
    If i had store front on garage shop, and tax number Wiseco would sell me pistons in batches. Thought about it
    but would really have to have my ear on limited market. Best if some made sleeve , made them standard size and piston std size. But whats the market. Friend in Tx has the nice late model 125 white husky that is so much fun to watch on the track.

Mid Ohio 125Gp was so much fun the watch Nils A Neilson ( miss spelled ) race up front and win on those 125s

I want a twin shock late model 125 - can you see my size on a 125 watch out .
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    husqvarna 125 series of line trimmers...but yes the ring is not from a motorcycle. pistons on the link might work though.. im not strong on the 125 stuff :(
  10. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S

Correct Joe, the ring is for a chainsaw, but the piston in that link is described as "Husqvarna WR CR 125 '76 - '83 55.69mm Wossner Racing Piston Kit". When you follow Bill's link, does the piston show up? If not, this link should get you there:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-W...ash=item43aa98d6b9:g:z00AAOSwuYVWpeQt&vxp=mtr

Does that appear to be the correct piston kit for Caden's bike?
    Tony.
  11. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

no idea as Caden never stated bore size. sounds like a youngster that got the bike cheap and has little surplus cash for fixing it. We were all there once. Bottom line is, parts for older 125 are not cheap, don't know what size he needs, don't know his budget . That equals can't help.
  12. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Thanks Joe!
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Yes I agree the ring is for a 125xp husky chainsaw. She's a beast of a saw.

There are 125 pistons listed there for bikes.

Please take your time fixing your 125 husky. I don't see many here. I had three liquids that were run hard beyond belief. I took two '85's and one 86 to make one run. I mixed parts and used one cylinder from one bike and a piston from another and the crank and bottom end form another. My kid and his girl friend were laughing at me, not thinking Frankenstein bike would run. There was no husky cafe then only the husky club
    I rode this bike every day for three months in the yard. I wish I kept it.
  14. Caden Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 husquavarna 125xc
    Other Motorcycles:
    1983 Honda cx650c
    I will take mY time fixing it and I will gladly put money into it. It's a 125 cc motor. I haven't taken the head off since I bought it. It just seized today. I will check bot size. But I will have the have to have it bored. But the eBay link helps a lot. I might call wesco and get a batch made for me even if it is expensive. I love my bike and for being $300 bike. She ran like I champ. As this is my first bike. I'm learning from trial and error. I'll update the post once I have an idea on bore size and everything else thanks guys
  15. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
  16. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Caden, take the head and barrel off. Take the barrel and the old piston to a reputable shop and ask them to measure it. If you have the specs for the 125 motor you have, the shop will tell you what it measures up to, and advise what they will have to bore it to, to clear the next size piston. Then you can search for that size. DON'T buy a piston until you have had this done or you could be wasting your money. Take your time and put it back together right. My motto is " do it once and do it right". As Bill said, we have all been there before. Take advice from those that have made the mistakes.
    You never know, you may just get away with a bore hone and new set of rings. But that would probably be wishful thnking !
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    yes, need to inspect crank and rod as well. those could just as likely be your seize culprit..actually more than likely.
  18. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

hmnnnn 30+ year old ignition (dry) side seal.....nah....no way an air leak and a lean sieze.

Caden, Myself and Kartwheel know old Husky 125s......don't mistake our old guy sarcasm as negative. Love to help any 125 riders
    Husky cr likes this.
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

measure old bore and old piston. no bore until new piston. the will bore based on new piston. also check the ignition side seal. no need to split cases. just pull flywheel and vila right there. Caden where are you located? State is fine. maybe could get some help for you if a friend nearby. Just trying to help ya man.
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    These bikes lasted for 30+ years and I feel if we rebuilt them to spec they will give us a lifetime of service.

For some reason all three 125's I had the ignition side bearing was destroyed. Two cases it had ripped out the ignition stator and threads too on the liquids. Take about run hard.