1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

petcock for mid 70s gas tank

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dumpbear, Apr 6, 2014.

1. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Hello everyone does anyone have a fix for a petcock with a broken barb end i have 3 that work fine except for the barb is broke on all of them I've never seen a replacement part for them.I wondered if anyone found something to replace it.Thanks for any help in advance.
  2. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

send me an email at coolhuh73@cs.com with your address, I have a couple old ones.
    justintendo likes this.
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
  4. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    thanks Ron I'm glad old husky riders can help each other out.
    Tom
  5. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Since when is 60 old? LOL

"Never slow down, never grow old" ..... Tom Petty
    dumpbear likes this.
  6. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Ron i'm 57 i meant old huskys as in 60s 70s 80s lol thanks again
    Tom
  7. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

I knew you meant old Husky's, just couldn't resist. LOL
  8. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    well i got to diggin around looking for a hose barb for my karcoma petcock and i finally found them at Capital Cycle in Sterling VA they are for a BMW but they fit my husky just fine they just came in the mail today the price is 2.95 apiece and they have the rebuild kit for them too.I thought you guys would like to know it seems like all the ones you see on ebay have broken hose barbs.And Ron i did a pass along a guy at work needed a petcock for a tank he just bought for a 76 cr he's restoring now he has one! thanks again Ron.
    Tom petcock barb.jpg
    Ron likes this.
  9. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    can you give us a part number for the barb and the rebuild kit?
  10. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Go to Capital Cycle and type in petcock the barb # is 16 121 233 366
    the petcock rebuild kit # is 16 121 233 000Z
    i don't know if the rebuild kit is for our huskys but for 10.95 you ain't out much let me know if it work's LOL I googled Karcoma petcock there were alot of places that sold rebuild kits i don't what they fit cause i was lookin for the barb and Capital Cycle was the only place i found them.Now i should go back and look up the rebuild kits i know i have at least one that weeps pretty bad.Good luck .Hey don't buy to many they will think they got a hot item and jack the price up:lol:
    Tom
    justintendo likes this.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i think 2 or 3 would good for awhile...nice find
  12. Cliff Anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda CR250R, 2000 Honda CR125R
  13. Cliff Anderson Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 Honda CR250R, 2000 Honda CR125R
    How do I disassemble the Karcoma petcock to rebuild it? I have the Capital City rebuild kit. I haven't figured out how to open the petcock. From my 1974 Husky 250CR. Attached pix *_2.jpg shows the view with the lever facing up.
    Appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Attached Files:

14. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    There's a snap type ring on it. That's a pain to remove but it's doable make sure you oil it all up when you put it back together.
  15. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Has anyone had success rebuilding these stock Karcoma petcocks? I purchased 3 rebuild kits a year ago from Bing Power Systems (they are a US Karcoma distributor) and the black rubber valve insert was to thick. I had to sand it thinner from 3.14mm to about 2.3mm to get it to work, it was a hassle. It required a bench vise to compress the valve assembly enough to get the ring clip into place.

This picture is what I bought from Bing Power Systems. Looks similar to the kit from Capital City.

Attached Files:

16. vintagecs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '78 390OR, '76 360 Auto, '74 125SC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Penton, Yamaha
    The first picture shows a socket where I cut a slot with a hacksaw for the lever to fit through. Works perfect. 1/2" I think. The second picture shows the kit I got from the Bing Agency in Kansas City; about $23 so the Capitol City kit sounds much better. You can see how much thicker the new gasket is, and when installed the lever is so hard to turn I think it might break. Bill, will oiling alone help this? Crash, how in the world did you sand it down? I bought some rubber coated gasket material to make my own, but I don't have a punch to knock out the holes. Maybe I can find one on eBay.
    100_3351.JPG 100_3353.JPG
  17. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    I have the same rebuild kits from Bing also,I haven't rebuilt mine yet as they are still working but I always use some type of oil on new assemblys of rubber to metal.
    I wonder about the thickness of the rubber washer.
    Keep us posted how that works..
    Good idea on the socket.
  18. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I will be doing the same thing.
    Originally, I was going to buy just some, same thickness gas/chemical resistant rubber, then punch out holes with leather punch. Then use gas resistant washers/orings for thread joints. Then I saw these kits so ordered one to try.
    Guess we will all get it figured out.
  19. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Hey vintagecs,
    I sanded the rubber valve seat by pushing it back and forth over 320 wet and dry, it took half an hour. The process tore micro chunks of rubber from the holes making them somewhat like a crater, but enough area between the holes remained level. Bottom line was the valve didn't leak.

I called Charlie at the Bing Agency and ask about the excessive thickness and he told me I just needed to make a jig to squeeze the valve assembly together. I made the same tool as you did and used a bench vise as you did but without success. It wouldn't go together. Its apparent that no one at the Bing Agency uses this product.

I have two more kits and was considering making another valve seat thinner by sliding it around on a hot plate. I've melted the rough edges of rubber hose before using a soldering iron and had pretty good results. I'm still pondering this idea. :thinking:

In regards to the liquid rubber, is it thin enough to just pour into the valve body to the required depth?
    vintagecs likes this.
  20. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Try this:
    Get a washer with center hole same size as the outer rubber size. Washer should be thickness of what you want to make it.
    Then outer washer will be your height to guide you. Use a new razor blade and using washer as guide to be level, you should be able to slice excess off like slicing bread with a guide. Put lil Wd40 on razor blade.