Penton, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, KTM, Honda

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Bigbill, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Ok John Penton wanted to design a dirtbike the way he felt it should be manufactured. I really don’t understand the difference between a Penton and a Husqvarna dirtbike. Both were race ready right out of the box. Was Husqvarna a lesser bike when compared to the Penton? What was the difference between these two.
    Now after Kawasaki got into the game with the kdx200 then the kdx220. They offered the kdx175, the kdx250, the kdx420. But I believe the kdx200 was the best bike of the line up. The kdx series of Kawasaki bikes was designed by the Pentons too. It’s probably the best woods bike of all time. Then came the KTM 200 to compete with the kdx200. The kdx has been discontinued. I guess the KTM 200 took over the sales. Now are these woods bikes being replaced by the 125’s with big bore kits. Like the 144cc’s? A smaller bike that can be man handled in the woods tossed around? Do you think these 144’s are the bike of the future of racing?

I often wondered when we started riding the suzuki ts185’s which were small and nimble in the woods but lacking better suspension. Why were the other dirtbikes so much bigger?

The woods bike evolution? Any thoughts.?
  2. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

am sure the story is in the husqvarna big book, believe husky didn't want to build a bike and put somebody else's brand on it. but they did come close.
  3. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Pentons were re-badged KTM's (Austria) and the Penton trials bike was a Wassell (English mfgr). KTM's come from Austria and Husqvarna's come Sweden. thats the difference
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The culture of dirt riding in the late 60's was predominately big 4 stroke singles and twins. The DT1 was introduced in 1968 and became popular enough for Yamaha to release 125,175, & 360 models in 1970 . Suzuki and Kawasaki started in about the same time frame The Suzuki TS185 was a a decent bike
    here in New England as the TS250 was a tank. All dual purpose bikes fell out of favor for the serious riders around 1976 after the Honda MRs and Yamaha ITs came out. The KDX175 and PE175 followed soon after.

John Penton was a Husqvarna dealer when he started Penton. He had asked Husqvarna to build a 125 and was told there was no market for it. That is when he went to KTM