Passing Torches....

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by pvduke, Dec 5, 2008.

1. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Seems nowadays, I tend to gravitate towards the smoother flowing or faster desert stuff. Even doing some light MX now on the TC.
    I think I might be done with the LMS type stuff though. Sadly. Been doing truly ugly stuff for eon's now w/ some mates, long before Taddy and Knighter made it 'popular'. My orriginal mates have moved on, looks like I am too.

I'm getting on in years and my body just won't/don't do or put up with as much as when I was younger. The pace has not gone down so much, but the uber-ugly techincal stuff really kills me now, especially with a jacked-up body. Vicodin only helps so much. Jack and coke just makes it worse, well, the next morning anyways. ;)

I'm still jazzed to be riding though, espcially on a Husky. I like the sniffs and stares, questions too at the track, on the trail and so forth. I've always been a gear head and love all kinds of bikes. And seem to be getting more back into the machine end of it, as opposed to 'who can bury whom' on the trail, like it used to be. So the uniquness of the Husky comes into play there as well.

I'm not sure how much I've got left in me. I'm riding with a little more caution nowadays. I look at my scoots and some of my scared up gear and pics and think back to younger, stronger days- and what I used (hate that word) do on a regular basis.

I now ride with a younger, stronger crowd. Once they were chasing me, tongue hanging out, wondering how they're gonna clear that element or super ugly climb- or just catch the 'old man'.

Now- the roles are reversing. I'm trying to keep 'em off my tail, sometimes just trying to keep up. I hear the term "old man" more than I used too. Sometimes out of repsect, others out of ribbing.

But I'm wiser in my older years, too. I realise we are only here for so long, and the important thing is to keep doing what you love for a long as you can.

"it aint the year, it's the mileage"....

Anyone else getting 'creaky'?
  2. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Creaky". I know that feeling. :oldman: Having seperated my AC this summer it's feeling like crap now that things are cold and damp in my neck of the woods. After I tumbled I sprung to my feet, shrugged my shoulders and pop pop popped it around and starting getting myself together to continue my ride. Little did I know that the stabbing in my shoulder wasn't a damaged chest protector like I initially thought. Basically my mind, still young at heart was ready to go but my body just didn't take the licking that it could have if I were 10 years younger. With all my other aches from past injuries I can totally justify retirement to a warmer climate in the future. :cripple:
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I typically ride with guys 10-15 years younger than me and like the nasty stuff. I'm still keeping most of them behind me and feel good about it. I have learned a lot of old guy tricks and can ride for many miles usually wearing the "kids" out and watching them fade badly towards the end of the day. I am no pillar of physical fitness but have learned to ride using very little energy. Clearing big hills the first time by overcommitting really pays dividends.

so what I am saying is stop being such a puss :lol:
  4. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Must be your cupcake diet.
  5. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

With old age comes the perfection of treachery :D You can stay ahead of them young whipper snappers by using your head more ( the one on your shoulders :lol:) :cheers:
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:

You a funny guy.

Was goofing off in camp just before our first ride last Friday morning...I was on my CR, showing off on a boulder doing zap/splats and stuff...my right leg slipped off (the bad one) and I spiked the ground with it on the landing. Ripped the shin/calf muscles good. Sucked it up and burned 8.5 gallons in 6 hours....

Peeps were wondering why I was left foot starting a right kicker all day... ;)

I also like my new suspension settings- nice and stiff for the faster stuff. I pay in the climbs and rocks, but man- it handles great! Plus,
    I'm taking the bypasses now- lettin' the young guns have thier glory in the uber-ugg. Since gettin' crushed almost to death 2 years ago, I got nothing much for the A-loop anymore.

:lol: @ wetdog's cupcake diet. :thumbsup:
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:

Copy that- and when I can't, and they get on my nerves with too much greif, there's always the dreaded Atomic Power Wedgie to put 'em back in their place. :thumbsup:
  8. HuskyT Moderator

I take it this means we are still on for Perris some night or day this Holiday.... you know a day trip over the Holiday will have the track packed... let me know where you are riding and we can hookup for a ride.....

So switch to Percodan !

More sniffs than stares at all the tracks we ride....

The uniquness of a Husky... other than the fact that it is a pig in the corners , especially on an MX track like Perris? Just ride a little faster and get up on their Grill in the corners..... a size 12 boot on thier engine case helps as well....

Today's my Birthday ... 41 officially I have made it over the hump.... now an old man...

My right bicep has finally healed since spearing a double at Glen Helen.... I'm ready to ride PV... when are we going? and where? I'm off from the 24th thru the 5th ... give me a call...

T
  9. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Weeeeee!

Glad yer back in once piece!

I'm planning a track night 12.11.08 at Perris. Gotta new claw for the TC, adding more oil to the fork. It's ON.

And mine aint no pig in the corners....try pullin' yer forks up a scohce, young man.

P/s- gonna be getting some private 'moto' schooling up north from my roomie and doing some practice at Comp Edge, I'll kepp ya posted on that too!
    Shine Glen Hellen- that track sucks on a 250f...... lol
  10. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

I have a pic of a B'day cake for ya somewhere
  11. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh shi*! I didnt even notice that!
  12. Wetdog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here it is. The Wetdog B'Day cake.

Attached Files:

13. HuskyT Moderator

I 'm going to try and make it on the 11th.... Out around 6:00 p.m. if all works well. Will call you b4 then.

T
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice :thumbsup: Happy B-day to you. :cheers:
  15. rajobigguy Administrator

You certainly touched on a subject that I can relate to. Broken back, broken wrists. several separted joints and a knee cap that was ground half way off in my youth tend to make me a much more timid rider than I used to be.
    Did a ride out of Lucern last year that was supposed to be a 90 mile event. Started at the top of the trail head with my buddy about four young guns and myself. My buddy and I put quite a bit of distance between us and youngters at first , even with me crashing twice it took several minutes for them to catch up with us at the first stop.
    It was all down hill from there for me. Another hard get off and my right shoulder was separted. Nothing to do but try and limp my through or call for a medivac. With almost no use of right side I kept on trying to get to the end of trail. One more dive over the handlebars with the shoulder landing sqaure on a boulder just about did me in. The good news was that my shoulder poped back in and I had some use of my right side again but OMG did it hurt.
    When I was younger that kind of stuff only took about week before I was ready to go out and tear it up but it took me about 3 mo. before I was really healed up this time.
    anyway the piont being, Yes I am feeling the miles.
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Cmon- gotta be more than one old fart hanging out here.... GEORGE?! :lol:

How are you adapting to time marching on?

I also find myself in camp more, working on peeps bikes. Some of the gang will do 3 epics in a day......used to do same and into the night...now if I miss the last go-round, I'll usually have a line of bikes at my tailgate wating for service. Heck- the beers and food that end up in my truck bed as payment make it worth not going back out in pain!

*CHOMP-SLURP....*

:D
  17. rajobigguy Administrator

Happy birthday Tim:cheers::applause: but please don't say that you are officially an old man because that makes me wonder what I officially am.:excuseme:
  18. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good post Rajo.....

and I started a HuskyT Bday thread....so take it over there guys...this one is for the old folk! :oldman:
  19. rajobigguy Administrator

Well I guess I fit in the old folks thread. It's nice to know that are a few of us that haven't resigned oursevles to riding power wheel chairs around the campsite.:lol: I'm pretty sure that there are a few more that can relate to this thread.
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    You guys need to eat more cup cakes. I am almost always that guy going "come on, one more loop!"