Parts Compatibility Between Older And Newer 610?

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by J.R., Aug 5, 2011.

1. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    450 Supermoto! and a BUNCH 'O parts
    So Im looking at an older 2000 sm610s and wondering whats compatible between it and the 2006-07 610's? Is the engine still the same design? Chassis? would the body parts from the newer 610 (or 570 since they swap onto the '06 610's) swap onto this 2000 chassis?
  2. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ahh I just realized the older 610 has the drive chain on the right side unlike the newer 610's.. But looking at the parts fiche for a 2004 570 and the 2000 610, It appears they share a lot of things.

Anyone want to chime in on their stories of the older 610's? Reliability? If they're anything like what I've read about other older single cams, then it sounds like a good buy..
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    My '03 TE610e has the drive chain on the left side. I would expect all 2000-2004 TE610s would as well. Body parts from the 00-04 era bikes are generally not compatible with 06 and later bikes. I'm not sure where '05 fits in this.
  4. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Remember back in 2000 there were 2 different types of 610, competition or the electric start type (SM and dual sport ). The 2000 electric start stuff has been updated a lot but it is still the basis for the 610s that we saw until 2009.
  5. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I just realized I based that off a 98, but I looked at pics and you're right about the left side chain mnb. But I have seen some put the '00-'04 570 plastics on a 2006+ 610.. Dunno what it took. But thats irrelevent unless i decide to use newer stuff. If i get this bike I wanna change the looks, I'm not too particular on the looks of the plastics.

How about the reliability? How would you say this is as reliable/as good of a commuter as the newer 610's?

Parts commonality with this and other models? Would engine parts fit from other single cam bikes? I have newer bikes too (2004-07 stuff), would wheels/sprockets fit the same thing? I love having common parts/spares between bikes..
  6. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    What are the valve check intervals? I looked on husqvarnaoutlet.com but the manual on there is pretty slim. I couldnt find it or anything like piston/top end intervals etc..

Anyone?
  7. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    john savage likes this.
  8. PaulClutch Husqvarna
    AA Class

A hell of a lot of people mix up between the electric start model TE610E/SM610 which ran from 1998-2004 later type 2006+ & the LEFT kickstart competition models the TE/TC/SMR 610/570 models which run from 1991-2004.
    Electric start have chain on left side & the Left kickers have the chain on the Right side.
    They are NOT the same motors & no you cannot fit the electric start onto any of the left kickstarts models!
    The only crossover is within the cylinder head of both engines types as they are compatible but slightly different.They do run the same headgaskets & front sprockets.
    The tank panels are the same for 1998-2004 on all the 610's.That about it all the other parts ignitions, engine gearbox parts etc are all different.Husky should have called the electric start bikes with another model abbreviation to avoid this confusion!
  9. J.R. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ya, Rancher1 cleared up the chain side confusion. The parts interchangeability I was curious about was mostly the necessary engine maintenence parts, and maybe some body work for asthetics (even if some work is required).

Buuuut, I have a 2006 610 lined up too so we'll see what happens