Overheated my TE630

Discussion in '610/630' started by Homerb, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Well today I decided to check the clutch bushing/cup washers etc, so started the bike and left it idling in the driveway for 15 mins to warm it up before draining the oil.
    Bad idea! The lack of air through the radiator caused it to boil and spray coolant up my wall from the overflow bottle.
    Well at least the clutch bushing etc checked out OK.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yeahhh, big thumpers make a lot of heat at idle with relatively low coolant flow.
    Did your cooling fan not kick on?

Side note, it's about impossible to keep coolant in the overflow bottle on a 630, it just evaporates out. What's the level like in the radiators now?
  3. Grez Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1150 GS
    Interesting, I rode 2 weeks in Morocco in temperatures in the mid 30's C (mid 90's F) and had no cooling problems. Overall I think I added a drop of coolant, most of my bottle went to top up the KTM's.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS

Different story when you're getting some air flow from moving and some real coolant volume flowing from being above idle.
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Agreed. I still think the fella's got an issue, though, as I've had to idle mine for longer periods than I'd like (and longer than he had) and mine didn't spew (and the fan functioned as it should.)
  6. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    My fan doesn't turn on when I idle the bike in the garage. I tested it and it turns when I plug 12v to it.
    So maybe I have a bad temp probe. But I used an infrared thermometer while it was idling, and while the exhaust itself was up to 500F, the cylinder and head never got much higher than 120F or so.
    So question, how long do you guys idle before the fan comes on?
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    i've never left mine idling long enough to find out, but it'll come on sitting at red lights on very hot days, so I know it works.
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Yeah I'm sorry to say I'm not sure how many minutes it takes for the fan to come on myself. I've idled it long enough to do that several times, of course, but have never timed it. I'd say it's somewhere in the 10 minute range, though.
  9. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Thanks for the input guys. I didn't even think to look and see if the fan was operating. Guess I'll give it a run tomorrow and make sure its operating OK.