Overdrive 6th gear

Discussion in 'Motosportz' started by motosportz mike, Nov 22, 2010.

1. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

Hello, we have been working on an overdrive 6th gear set for the 250/310/450/510 and finally have someone that can produce them for us. The question is will people really buy and install these ? Afterall you have to remove the engine and split the cases making this a major job to do although this a relatively easy job on the husky compared to other brands. The overall change would be 3 teeth higher in the 6th gear set in the transmission. The price for the set would depend on the quantity of orders, if we get a lot it would be 280.00 for the set, if we get a few it would be 375.00 for the set. Please PM me with any questions or thoughts you might have. Of course feel free to ask on here so others can see as well. Thanks motosportz mike.
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I don't have the ratios memorized, and I'm a bit lazy at the moment, could you post up the ratios so we could do the math/compare how much lower the rpms would be in 6th gear at a certain mph?

And for other people post what approximate years they would work for?
  3. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

The years would be 2004-2009 TE 250 & TXC 250 2009-2010 TE 310, 2004-2010 TE,TXC,SM 450 & 510. Basically for the 6 speed DOHC models excluding the new x-lite motors.
  4. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

5. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Would be nice, but sound like a pain in the a$$ to install. possibly not worth the effort.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats what we are trying to figure out. On TT and here people were saying that if there was a 6th gear replacement they would be all over it but in reality when you consider the price and the fact you have to split the cases how many will actually want the product?
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It sounds like far more of a PIA than it really is. Tranny swap on the WR250 is a 4 hour job start to finish. I realize the 4T is double the complexity but I still think it is doable in a single day. Believe me as I found out with the WR250 the overdriven 6th is a godsend for anyone wanting to do much road work connecting trails, etc.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Do em for 2 strokes!
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    A good wrench up here (like JR) can do it in half a day start to finish. The husky 4 strokes are pretty EZ to do but you have to do it.
  10. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hoping to finally tackle this 6 speed tranny swap this winter.. But more than a little nervous if I can handle a job like this if I've never done any motor work previous (I am a bicycle mechanic by trade).. This would be with a helping hand and eyes of three guys who have done some motor work previous (all own
    Husky WR250.. one recently re-built his bottom end).. And hopefully with the assistance of Wallybean on speed dial (hint hint).. ;)
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    my 94 WXC250 has the wide ratio 6 speed and is wonderful. :thumbsup:
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

I am slow and take my time so I imagine someone good can easily do it in half the time. The toughest part is just making the commitment and starting.

The two stroke WR 250 and 300 already have a fifth gear set you can order from Husky. Just look up the part numbers from the 99-2000 WR250 tranny which is a true wide ratio 5 speed and order the 5th gear set. Gives you an instant 83+ mph topend with 13x48 gearing. As I remember the gear set is ~$250 and if you are patient you can do the 6 speed swap for that much. Part numbers for the OD 5th gear set:

8000 86992
    8000 86993

Gear ratio for that set is 0.8333. With 13x48 sprockets and 120/100 tire the bike is doing 80 mph at 8000 rpm. :thumbsup:
    Kgb likes this.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Fat Tire Flyer,

When you get close just send me a pm and we can set up a time to chat. I have pics and have walked several guys through the swap. It is far easier than you think. The only tricky part is getting the new tranny spaced correctly. Not hard at all just need to have some calipers handy so you can do some accurate measurements and then get the appropriate spacers. The spacers tend to be generic and you should be able to get them locally or at worst on line. I have quite a selection as OFG Dino sent me the ones that Hall's gave him when he did his 6 speed. I think I spent at least 4 hours on the phone with Dino during that process with pic's e-mailed back and forth. He was very particular about fit and making sure that everything is perfect. :thumbsup:

As Kelly said you will love the 6 speed. It really completes a very solid package.
  14. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you Wallybean.. As you said "toughest part is just making the commitment and starting".. But before that I will need to order any replacement items
    (gaskets etc) needed when separating the cases.. What made me smile was when you said "I think I spent at least 4 hours on the phone with Dino".. :lol:
    And I thought I would be the only one that would be so "ah scared" to attempt a project like this.. I read your post "WR 250 5 Speed to 6 Speed Swap" at
    TT many times and the spacing issue (having needed shims) was what concerned me most.. But I lucked out just like TT member "dirtaddict23" and ended
    up with two complete 360 bottom ends.. Then somehow (I don't know where it came from) I ended up with two Husky WR250s (one 2006 and one 2007)..
    When I do the swap.. I will document it from the perspective of a newbie.. Thanks again Wallybean.. Cheers.. :cheers:
  15. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I think the take home message for the thread is that if Motosportz offers an overdriven 6th for the DOHC 4T huskies I would do it in an instant.

When just swapping gear sets you don't have to worry about any of the shimming and shifter changes you need to make in a complete tranny swap. So time to change is really very straight forward. Lay out all your parts in the order you disassemble and re-assembly is a snap. :thumbsup:
  16. AndrewS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE350s 2013 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 TE250 (sold)
    I use the method I believe I read in a Clymer manual years ago... Use an egg carton to put the parts in as you take them off the shaft. That way they're separated, but not going anywhere, and they're kept in the order they go back on.
    Shawbridgehusky likes this.
  17. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Nice to see a solution to a frequent gripe, guys. I hope it takes off! I'm down to an x-lite bike only now.
  18. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    This information was taken from the spec sheet for my 2006 te250, and as far as I know, is the same as most of the other dohc bikes in recent history.

1ª/1st 2,000 (28/14)
    2ª/2nd 1,611 (29/18)
    3ª/3rd 1,333 (24/18)
    4ª/4th 1,086 (25/23)
    5ª/5th 0,920 (23/25)
    6ª/6th 0,814 (22/27)

My understanding is that the new 6th gear would be a 21/29 (0.724). So that would change the overall top to bottom ratio from 2.46 to 2.76.

So it would work sorta like this:
    50/13 = 3.85
    45/13 = 3.46

3.85/3.46 = 1.11

So it would be like going from a 50T to a 45T on the rear sprocket in 6th gear.

You fine people may want to check my math, but I believe it is correct.

For reference, I believe these figures are for about the model year 2005-2007. I've no reason to think they have changed much:

TE250/450/510/etc: 2.46 -> 2.76 if Motosportz gear is installed (1.122)
    TC450: 1.96
    TE610: 3.39

Yamaha
    WR250f: 2.93
    YZ250: 1.93

KTM (2007)
    450EXC, 525EXC: 3.01

Kawasaki
    klr250: 3.39
    kdx200: 3.09

Honda
    crf230: 3.41
    crf450R: 1.98
    crf450X: 2.70

DRZ400: 2.65
    SV650: 2.89
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Kelly,

You want me to split off the 2st discussion into a new thread in the 2st forum? I believe this could become a long thread.
  20. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Andrew the egg cartons is a good way to go if you lack bench space. I just clear about 8' of bench and that way I can keep everything seperated and easily viewable. I also keep different assemblies isolated from the other assemblies...clutch from tranny etc.