Ok, so I think I just lost third gear...

Discussion in '610/630' started by RDTCU, May 10, 2013.

1. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Hit a false neutral a few times last week, then today, mid wheelie, shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and I slammed down, revs went up, wouldn't pull in 3rd, just... bad sounds...

Wouldn't shift to 4th unless I went down to 2nd then back up to 4th. So now I'm about to putt putt the few miles home and look for chunks....

Hopefully it's just a bent fork from my last drop and it didn't do much damage to the dogs, haven't found anything major in the oil, ever.

If I find chunks, it's new gear time....
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    OK, I tore into it a bit, and I'm not missing any teeth, gut i've got some shavings and one gear is gauled a bit on the side. I've got 1st, 2nd and 4th, can't go higher, 3rd is just a false neutral. SO, either a fork is bent, and hopefully my dogs aren't FUBAR, or the gear to shaft splines have stripped and the chunks are contained...

Either way, i'll probably be pulling the motor tomorrow and clearing off the table to split the case.

Oh boy...

ETA, strange thing, the small fine oil screen under the right cover was broken in half not sure how that happened... hopefully nothing bouncing around under the crank...
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You could have started out with just a bent shifting fork, but you had better check the gear that the fork controls and the gear(s) that it slides into. If the dogs are blunted and the slots have blunted edges, those will need replacing. Sometimes it's not about the teeth at all. I have had a gear break. There would have been a definite kaboom that would have ended your ride.:eek:
    Xcuvator likes this.
  4. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yeahhh, so far I'm probably in it for a couple gears and a fork, and the odd screen that somehow got destroyed....

How hard is it to pull the flywheel and split the case without the special Husky tools? My dealer is busy and it would be faster to do it myself if I can tear it down without the pullers... I'll give them a call when they open today and see if I can borrow the pullers.
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Called Neeley Racing not far from here, they're not quite as backed up as Upstate and should get it back within a week or so of getting the motor. They're mostly into KTM's, but they'll do Huskies too...
  6. notoriouz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Ninja 650r
    Just out of curiosity, how much money would a job like this cost you if it were to potentially happen?
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Neeley's would charge ~$450 for labor to tear down the lower, plus parts.

Got another option from Pro Motion, that does suspension and engine work, $250 labor.
  8. steven kowalski Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Just curious how you know there are no missing teeth without splitting the cases? I have never been able to do that.
  10. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    If you pull the clutch cover you can shine a light through the kick-start hole, then rotate the crank or intermediate shaft to spin the gears.

If you get the right angles, you can see every gear on both shafts.

At least that's how you can do it on the 630, not sure about your bikes.

I can see some gauling on the side of the intermediate 3rd gear, so there's definitely a bent fork, and judging by the filings and false neutral, some rounded dogs too.

I'm yanking the motor tomorrow, probably get it to ProMotion this week. I just don't have the time or pullers right now....
    wright184 likes this.
  11. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Good to know, thanks
  12. safonjo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630 '10 and TE450 '07
    May I ask you, are you shifting with clutch or not?
  13. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Depends on the situation.

Low speed upshifts, yes.
    Riding fast, no, it's a dogbox and you don't have to.
    Downshifts, yes.

What probably bent my fork was my last drop, right on the shifter, which probably kept 3rd from fully engaging, and after it slipped out a couple times, it wore the dogs and bent the fork worse.
  14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    The Husky just got really light... :p

[IMG]
    Motosportz likes this.
  15. notoriouz Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Ninja 650r
    Looks like a Trials bike lol
  16. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    that tire in the background tells me you have other dirty habits good thing cause the tires on your bike are worn slick
  17. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Truck/buggy in progress...
  18. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Ran the motor up to Pro Motion on Thursday, DJ tore into it today, looks like I'll need a few gears and two forks, things just snowballed from that one bent fork. I'm having him throw in the TE 5th and 6th gear while he's in there, for lower highway RPM.

Other than that, he says this motor looks way too good to have 10,000 miles on it. Got a cam chain on the way, and I'll run it up there if it shows up soon, but the original should still have plenty of life left...
  19. STANIMAL Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    WXE260
    Any news ?
  20. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Just waiting on parts from Husky, they're in the middle of their warehouse move... I gotta stop breaking non-stocked items! :banghead:

Can't really complain though, it's the first real mechanical issue I've had in 10K miles, and it was my fault...

BTW, nixed the TE gear swap, after a closer look, those particular gears will be just fine.

Cam chain and screen should be here tomorrow, gears within the next few days if they're consistent on turnaround.

Weather's been awesome, it's been torture...