Oil pump gasket -replace with silicone?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi I've had to pull my oil pump and when I did so the old gasket fell apart.

My local dealer have taken 8 days so far and no gasket has got to them let alone me.

I was hoping to get my bike back together for this weekend and was thinking of using ThreeBond 1215 which is a silicone based product but it is oil soluble or so I think.

I did want to wait for the proper gasket, I have even had an attempt at cutting my own gasket:
    DSCF0083.JPG
    But the material is impossible to cut accurately with an Exacto or a Stanley.

The main worry was that I noticed some effort was needed to turn the oil pump from the driveshaft when the cover was bolted down, I wasn't sure if the gasket provided some clearance for the end of the oil pump driveshaft? Or maybe it was just because the rotors don't have much oil in them, in any case I wanted some advice if only for next time.

I still want to use the original gasket but figure I might make do with a liquid gasket until it arrives, I just don't want to find that I haven't taken something into account and seize it.
  2. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    I am not familiar with that oil pump but it is possible that the gasket is a specific thickness to set a clearance. You should be able to make one with some patience. A pair of curved scissors (for curve cutting) and a single hole punch (office paper type) are invaluable when making gaskets. I also use small metal tubes as punches to create other size holes. Permatex moto-grey is a great oil-proof sealant. Cam.
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Thanks for the advice. I got the gasket today and it is a metal gasket with some texture on each side, it can't be more than about 50 thou (1mm) thick. My clearance problem seemed to be that the pin in the barrel didn't go into the hole and instead tried to make it's own hole. I gotta wonder why they couldn't put two pins on there, would have taken out all the guess work.