1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Oil leak

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mantrap, Sep 25, 2009.

1. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just noticed that the seal around the kick starter on my 2006 wr250 is leaking, is this an easy fix? All so I noticed that there is a small amount of play in the kick starter shaft, is this normal?
  2. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

It started leaking even more today, is it difficult to replace the seal, do I need to split the cases.
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Normally, you would just have to pull the primary side cover to get to the seal. Drain the tranny oil and the coolant. Sometimes the brake pedal needs to be removed to get the cover off, along with the kicker, the clutch cable, and any hoses that go to the water pump. Haven't seen your engine, but that's the way it is on my two stroke engines.
  4. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

The primary cover on the WR250 is on the left side, the seal for the kick starter is in the case.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Gotcha, haven't seen one of those engines. Sometimes, a seal can be pulled from a case without removing anything, but I don't like removing a seal that way as it is kind of awkward to do. I'm surprised that there aren't other WR owners answering your inquiry.
  6. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Having had no personal experience with this I have refrained so far in deference to maybe someone who has fielding this one.
    I can tell you however that over on KTMtalk at least two guys replaced leaky shifter shaft seals on their 300 2Ts without removing anything but the shift lever itself. One dug out the bad seal with a seal puller, and the other one drilled a small hole in the metal cladding around the seal and ran a little sheet metal screw in there and pulled the seal that way,...(or so he said).
    And that KTM shift shaft seal is in a harder to get at place than a WR's kicker shaft seal,...and it's smaller too. I'd sure give it a try before I tore the whole engine down if it were me.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    That's how I pull crank seals. Actually, I drill 2 small holes and 'fish' a length of wire through both holes and then just pull it out.

As long as the WR kick seal installs from the outside then there's no reason this method would not also work there.
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

On my WR250 I thought I had a leak at the kickstarter shaft and even bought the seal. Then I figured out that I was just seeing chain lube being thrown up there.
  9. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats what I thought to but it is defiantly leaking. So you think I can fish it out without removing the shaft?
  10. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I went out and looked at mine,.......I'm pretty sure I could.
  11. mantrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for all your help I ordered a new seal and will try replacing it this weekend.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I used a pull hammer with a small sheet metal screw attached to the end to pull the seal that I had to remove from a case. Drill a little hole (smaller than the diameter of the sheet metal screw) in the seal, then screw in the little sheet metal into the hole and gently knock it out.