1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

oil in the air box 2012 the 511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by kenny shirmey, Jul 28, 2015.

1. kenny shirmey Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 511
    Hello, I recently opened the air box and found oil where the connector comes into the box. Im not sure if its an overflow because the oil barely registers in the looking glass. Also the oil possibly has a minor gas smell… I can't tell if thats normal. Ive been reading and it sounds like this could be a common problem, people say to put 1150 ml of oil in.

How do I know Ive put enough oil in?

How do I know this isn't a more serious problem?

Thanks in advance
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Common problem, which is why most of us at least run the ZipTy breather mod, or the full oil recirculation kit. The stock breather location tends to force oil up into the airbox at higher rpm. A common, but not great idea early on was to run less oil so it wouldn't do it.

This is a bad idea and could lead to damage (even though you already have a bunch of miles). You should have at the very minimum 1/2-3/4 oil showing in the sight glass when warmed up and engine off standing straight and not the kickstand.
  3. kenny shirmey Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 511
    Thanks buddy, yeah I will look into the zippy breather mod. Ive seen a lot of people talking about it. Have a good one!!

4. Shawntrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    I had the same problem, I used a plastic reducer to go from the engine hose to a hose similar in size as the rad vent hose and routed down to a small catch can on the other side of the engine. I did this to keep from getting oil all over the air filter & air box. I would just empty the can when I changed the oil. Good news though, I've got about 3000kms on it and I haven't emptied the can in 6 months or 7 oil changes - I keep the oil level just a smidgen under the top of the sight glass when cold, use amsoil dirtbike 10/40 as it supposed to get less foamy, change oil every 12hrs give or take.
    I've found that after about the first 2000kms the engine seems to get really good, no issues.
    I keep the rear linkage joints well greased (where the nipples are), I've replaced the rear wheel bearings a couple of times, and had to replace the starter motor probably because I'm a little overzealous with the spray hose.
    I love my bike
  5. kenny shirmey Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 te 511
    Thanks Shawntrain, where is the rear linkage and how to you grease em??
  6. Shawntrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
  7. Shawntrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    You can see one of the grease nipples (some say fittings or grease ports) in the photo of the drag link right beside where #1 is pointing to. The other nipple can't be seen in the photo, but is just above the lower connection of the drag link, on the upper connection. I use a regular hand pump grease gun with mobile 1 synthetic grease (red in color), grease every three rides (about 12-15 hrs), and pump enough in so I can see the new stuff squirt out at the ends.
  8. Shawntrain Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511
    There are no grease fittings on the pivot (#2) or in the heim joint (#3), FYI