Oil coming out of my bike

Discussion in '610/630' started by BobPS, May 22, 2016.

1. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Hi guys,

Last Tuesday I was on my way home from the office. About 3 km from the office a fellow motorcyclist told me that something was leaking from my bike and it caused smoke. I pulled over, turned off the engine and checked my bike. Yes, there was brown oil (milky oil) coming from underneath the seat.

At first I thought that the rear suspension was leaking, cause it looked like it came from the rear suspension. But when I looked at the oil sight glass, I saw the oil in there was milky too. :banghead:
    So I pushed my bike to a nearby parking lot and called a Husky mechanic that I know. Anyway, I ended up calling a pick up car and the car carried my bike to the Husky dealer.

The next day I called the mechanic. Unfortunately, he wasn't in cause the previous day he had a motorcycle accident and dislocated his knee. So my bike is still not repaired or checked yet. I don't know when he will be back to work, hopefully some time next week.

Anyway, here's some pictures of the leak. As you can see, it looked like it came from the area above the rear suspension, from underneath the seat. IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

That brown spots there, are oil.

I will not know what the problem is until the mechanic check it.
  2. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Geez Bob, I don't like the look of that. Sure its not coming from the airbox? The milky oil suggests water. Possible head gasket issue? Or worse, someone tipped water or something in your sump.
  3. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    The crank case breather hose from the head to the back of the airbox is know to come loose or pop out. I suspect this is where the oil is coming from, however, it doesn't really explain why it's brown and milky. Could be head gasket, or water pump seal.
  4. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    I talked to the mechanic this morning, he told me that it me that it may be the head gasket or the water pump. He'll get back to me once he learn what the real problem is. The milky oil, I guess it's because the oil is contaminated with the radiator coolant. The coolant I use is red in color.
  5. bajadog Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 (farkled out)
    Other Motorcycles:
    11 Husaberg TE 300 08 KTM 950 SE
    Doesn't a leak down test eliminate a head gasket leak?
  6. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Hi guys,
    I just got back from the dealership. It's the water pump that caused the problem. In the parts catalog it's the one listed as "pump shaft"
    It's corroded and apparently it lets the radiator coolant to get mixed with the engine oil... it didn't get into the combustion chamber though. So there's no gasket leak. When I had this problem last week there was no white smoke coming out out the exhaust, so I'm sure there's no gasket leak.

The good thing is they have this part in stock, even though it's at their headquarter in Bali, but at least I don't have to wait for too long for the part to arrive.

Bob
  7. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    Update:

I went to the dealership yesterday to pick up my bike. They replaced the pump shaft, and flushed the engine with new oil. The only thing still needs to be replaced is the oil filter. They do not have one in stock but they managed to clean the current filter and reuse it.

Bike runs great. This morning before I leave for office I checked to see if there's any oil or coolant spot on the floor. Glad to report that there's no oil nor coolant on the floor ...at least this morning. I rode the bike to this office today, and on the way to the office I didn't smell any smell of coolant, hopefully it's the shaft that caused the coolant leak.

Thanks guys.
  8. Homerb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 1050, KLX300, TT250,
    Great news Bob, and thanks for the update. Its bound to happen to someone else sooner or later. Hopefully not me.
  9. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    what 's happened it is inexplicable .
    if you break the pump shaft comes out or oil or water .
    They do not go out emulsified together.
    there is a small hole on the water pump for this problem
  10. BobPS Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 795
    At the time my bike was at the dealership, there was another bike, a TE310 if I'm not mistaken, that has exactly the same problem. Pump shaft corroded and radiator coolant got mixed with oil and turned oil to milky colored. The mechanic showed me the pump shaft of that bike, compared to mine that one was in worse condition.

Anyway, so far... this morning... there's no more coolant leak. :banana: