1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

oil being sprayed into airbox on 511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by nozzzaa, Jul 26, 2014.

1. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    has anyone else come across this issue, had my bike serviced three times now by three different husky dealers all claiming that the last dealer prob put too much or too little oil or whatever, just no matter what I seem to do or what level the oil is at I seem to get oil dripping out the airbox,

pisses me off cause it makes my bike and engine look dirty as hell!!

anyone know the issue and fix for this as ive stripped it to clean it and would love it if she stayed clean for more than five minutes!!
  2. James Patton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2012, WR125 2006
    Other Motorcycles:
    1250S Bandit, DRZ400S
    Search the forum common problem. Easy fix, Zip-ty breather mod or ho-made catch can,
    Zip-ty mod is best in my opinion, allows running the full volume of oil, so better for the engine.
    BadMotoWeazal likes this.
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    +1 Zip Ty is quickly becoming the only place we can trust other than the few premier long time Husky dealers like Bills, Halls, etc. I think most dealers only give partial effort to support Italian Husky customers hoping you'll get sick of the bike and switch to an orange or white and blue KTM.
  4. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    One other note...DO NOT LET THEM CONVINCE YOU TO RUN LESS OIL! It's far easier to clean up some oil mess than get the parts needed to rebuild the engine. Keep it full!
  5. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This!!!

And I've always hate the idea of the crank case breather routed into my airbox. Cut the hose, get the breather filter & zip tie to the frame up high some place.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  6. underwatersimon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 Beta 350rr
  7. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Wow.... that's fancy, I've just used this in the past.........

[IMG]
    Of course I could see the advantages of the Zip-Ty unit.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  8. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    thanks for your help, I know that had prob been asked loads before but didn't know what to search for apart from "F*$king oil everywhere mod":D

is there a cheaper optin anyone has managed to do other than paying for that, don't get me wrong it looks like an awesome bit of kit but just cant afford it at the mo but at the same time want to keep my bike clean,, luckily its not my main means of transport so it can sit in the garage clean until I find a solution or save the cash for the zip-ty.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  9. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    badmoto, what is that where is it from and what you gotta do with it?
  10. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    I cant seem to find anything on catch cans :confused:
  11. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Usually the oil breather hose connects to the air box some place. Remove the hose & place a rubber vacuum cap over the hole at the air box. then insert the breather filter onto the end of the hose & safety wire the hose to the filter. Find a place high on the frame & mount it with a zip tie. You may have to cut the length of the hose or get a coupling & some extra hose to make it longer to reach a good mounting point. It is not maintenance free though. You'll need to clean the filter as needed so the crankcase doesn't build up pressure.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2564/d/dirt-bike-crankcase-vent-filters

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/crankcase_breather/

http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm
    Big Timmy likes this.
  12. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Oil? what oil...

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Tinken, rabskyline, Big Timmy and 2 others like this.
  13. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    There is an option to buy just the breather without the great big add-on box.
    Some have used just that & been happy.

I'm screwed either way as freight to Aus is f:censored:d!

I'm planning to do a similar thing to Badmoto.
    Big Timmy likes this.
  14. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Man, you better get that fixed.... Oil on tire on street is no bueno

15. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    lmfao @ Caiman!!:lol:

So if I could understand what this frickin breather pipe actually does im thinking of bodgin summit together as quick fix for the mo,

am I right in saying that unless you have a feed going back to the crank in a sealed unit like the zip-ty version our bikes will pretty much always puke oil up thru that breather pipe to where ever you have it directed and its then just waste so you just keep making sure you got enough oil in there.

if this is the case then I will just direct the pipe to a make shift bowl/can/whatever strapped to the side so then it doesn't piss out my airbox, but one question, im guessing it doesn't need pressure as the airbox isn't pressured right?

badmoto - with your filter idea , what happens to the oil that your bike shits out now as that's just a filter and not a collection tank??? are you saying that if you mount it high enough it stops it from coming out?
    Big Timmy likes this.
  16. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The breather for the crankcase is to allow pressure to escape as you don't want the crankcase pressurized. The powers that be dictated that modern bikes should not allow oil that is pushed through the tube to be dropped on to the soil or water. The filters I has shown you & the methods they are used allow the crankcase to breathe allow oil or air out the the bike is running & hot, then allowing filtered air back when the bike cools and pressure is equalized. It's really an old school fix, but if oil is pouring out of the vent there is a real underlying problem somewhere as the only time is my 35 plus years of riding I've ever seen oil in my air box/coming out of the vent hose is if I looped my bike & it landed and stayed inverted for a while. So, something is not right & maybe someone can explain in better detail why the oil is pushing out of the hose at volume as it should not do that.
  17. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Oh.... to answer your question the oil dumps on the ground
  18. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    The oil comes out the hose as the breather is in the lowest part of the engine casings....the transmission.
    The transmission on these bikes is also the 'sump' as a scavenge pump draws out the oil from the crankcase area to run as a semi-dry sump arrangement.
    How BMW though it would be a good idea is beyond me?!? :thinking:
    Gasses coming out the trans breather can carry out the oil....
    If the breather were in the head/tappet cover where it should be, like just about every other motor ever built, it would have been fine.
  19. nozzzaa Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    garage full of shite
    Bad Moto have you use that idea on the BMW engine or you talking About all bikes you've had previous
  20. BadMotoWeazal Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On my Cagiva built SM 610 & many other dirt bikes.... But not the BMW built HVA. Sorry Bro