1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Oil at exhaust/head

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by AbnMike, Apr 2, 2017.

1. AbnMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    vintage 250 WR
    1983 350 WR.

Sat a couple weeks. Started it up today and it was smoking where the pipe meets the cylinder. The four Allen bolts are tight but it was blowing oil (see pics). Normal? Something broke?
  2. AbnMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    vintage 250 WR
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I would say a little seepage is ok. It tells me the cylinder is getting lubed. Plus these older 2t the pipes aren't sealed to the exhaust manifolds like the newer bikes are. Is she spewing out the muffler too?
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I agree. "A paper towel is cheaper than a piston."
  5. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    did you leave the fuel on or does the tap leak a tad? this can overfuel the crankcase and when you fire it up, it throws a bit of goop out all the spaces. should clean up after a good hard run in top gear. if its still spitting everywhere, you may need to check your fuel oil ratio..(didn't put two lots of oil in by mistake?) worst case scenario?? the gearbox side seal has failed and you have an auto lube happening. thus usually results in LOTS of white smoke with a funny smell and the motor runs on and high idles. you would notice it pretty much right away.
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I second the fuel leaking into the crankcase.
  7. AbnMike Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    vintage 250 WR
    Thanks. Could definitely be the tap leaking I guess. I'll pull it off the carb and test it out and see. I'm pretty religious about keeping it turned off (and it was off when I started the bike).

Just seemed like a bit much. It idles out just fine so guess it's not a seal. Just means I need to get out and on it more (if it would ever not rain in Morgantown - I chose this place over the Seattle area because we didn't want rain - it has rained almost every day for the past 6 months it seems. And it's cold. And I'm old and complainy).
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    You know with all my used bikes the norm was to replace the needle and seat because they were leaking. Before I rejet them it's a must. Check the float level too.
  9. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

petcocks can and do seep/drip. old