1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ohlins shock question- URGENT

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Leftcoast leftkicker, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

Help! Anyone rebuild their Ohlins & use the new-style shock body sleeve rub spring guide?

It replaces the black plastic piece held in place with the 2 metal clips. The new version does away with the clips a with its built-in "fingers" that drop into the groove in the shock body.

Here's my problem- it's stuck on the groove on the shock cap. How do I continue to pull it down (about another 1/4")?? I'm afraid that if I leave it on the end cap groove that on compression it'll force the cap off (same way you remove the cap now)!

CRAP! All I want to do is ride.
  2. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Possible to move it back up and insert two thin feeler blades for the clips to "ride on" as it passes over the seal cap?
  3. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

nope, it's locked into the groove. I might try heating it & moving around If that doesn't work then cutting it off, dis-mantling the shock cap from the body, sliding the new set on then re-assembling. Yeah, I'm wicked pissah stoked!
  4. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK, fixed them. Evidently the hot set up is to install these BEFORE you reassemble the shock internals (but you have to put the smaller spring set & keepers on first) then insert the internals w/gold cap, then oil & gas. If you don't then you can (like me) pull & rock them down into their groove- takes some doing but possible. Be aware that ALL new bodied Ohlins use this system and not the old one with 2 grooves/circlips to sandwich the plastic part. The new bodies only have 1 groove so you have to use this new keeper.
    Hope it helps
    piggyback likes this.
  5. tapio Husqvarna
    A Class

Is this one of the new adj, type Phillip sells, and have you tested them one the track?
  6. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

No it's an older (2 yr) set. I'd like to get the adjustables but might have to sell of a few items first.