1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ohlins Paint Code.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 2T_vs_4T, Aug 14, 2011.

1. 2T_vs_4T Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on the Paint Code for Ohlins remote reservior and piggyback shocks.
    Can any one here point me in the right direction.
    Cheers 2T_vs_4T.
  2. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

4. schimmelaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky Shocks Mounted 001.jpg Yep, talk to Phillip at above site. Perfect color and stickers.
  5. Ron Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here's mine all done. Joe\'s 390 Husky.jpg
    RUF likes this.
  6. 2T_vs_4T Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll give www.husqvarna-parts.com a call and ask about shipping the spray cans of paint, I'm in Australia and I'm not sure about airmail of spray cans.
  7. pcnsd Husqvarna
    A Class

Ohlins Classic Bronze paint is manufactured for Ohlins USA by Custom-Pak Products, Inc. The PN# is 9904-02. You can buy it directly from Ohlins USA with a credit card. (828-692-4525) If you are in OZ, I would check with your national distributor for Ohlins products first. Given the VMX scene in Australia I would be shocked if they didn't market a like product.

Best regards,
    Paul
  8. 2T_vs_4T Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well be shocked, the national distributor doesn't carry any spray paint. They said it was never a Ohlins product, so there you go.
    All I really want is the paint code or RAL, what ever it's called. I just want to paint a set of remote reservior shocks, so don't need a lot of paint.
    I don't think they can air mail spray paint.
    2T_vs_4T.
  9. enduro250z Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have had those Ohlins spray cans sent to Australia no problems, however when i went to use them i was very disapointed. The colour is just not right in my opionion and i have got lots of original shocks with samples of original paint. I thought maybe i had a dud can but testes out some others too. They were not all bought that the same time either. The so called genuine Ohlins paint is just far too light and not browny bronze enough. So i tried looking for a better match. So far i have come up with these too which are a lot better than the genuine paint, a lot closer but still not 100% perfect. Needs to be slighty 'orangyier'

When i was testing out colours i got these 2 colours and the Holts - Powerplus part numbers are in bold.

as an example GM holdan paint codes 2G024 and 15946 are the same as Isuzu 855 or R901

If you walk into a paint shop all they need is the 2G024 or R901 etc

You can see that these colours are very close acording to the info below the GM Holdan 15946 is covered by the PJ4030 and the PJ4020

PJ4020 - 150g (not available in 350g cans)
    Persian Sand Metallic – GM Holden 1974-75 – Paint code - 2G024, 15946
    Cognac – Isuzu – 1987-89 – Paint code - 855, R901

PJ4030 – 150g or PK4030 -350G
    Cognac Metallic – GM Holden 1989-91 – Paint code – 855, 2G060
    Persian Sand Metallic – GM Holden 1974-75 – Paint code – 15946
    Kinver Sand – Landrover 1999 – Paint code – 609
    Copper Bronze Metallic - Ford 1972-74 – Paint code – R
  10. HVA_Moto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 250 CR
    I used Holts - Powerplus. Copper Bronze - Ford, quite a good match.
  11. Xanadu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 - 250 WR

Try to find a paint shop with one of these (or similar) gizmo's and you will get an exact colour match by scanning the original paint from your other shocks.

:)
    bora117 likes this.
  12. Ryden Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 24
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB900F
    I know this is a necropost, but I've searched high and low for these colour codes without a really good answer.

Then I had a stroke of genious and asked Öhlins themselves. I tought you might want to know the official answer.

According to Lars Isaksson, the bronze color is GM 8546 Light Russet Metallic
    The yellow colour found on modern springs etc. is a standard colour, RAL1007 Daffodil Yellow

[IMG][IMG]
  13. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    While we're on the subject, how about the blue color on the ITCs? Any advice?
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

In USA
    engine enamel of "Old Ford Tractor Blue" is good match. Just for shocks and not resevoirs (anodized blue)
    SteveJ likes this.
  15. Rocky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    1986 Honda CR250 ,03 WR450 Yam
    I know this is a old post but it's a good one. I recently did a set of remote resevoir Ohlins shocks and used the GM 8546 Light Russet Metallic mentioned in a post and can say that it was an exceptional match to the OE paint left on my shocks.

I'm doing a set of ITC's now and am mixing the RAL 5015 tomorrow to check the color

[IMG]
  16. Rocky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    ohlins painted.JPG Ohlins shock copper old.JPG
    Don't think the link above worked?
  17. Rocky Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    I mixed the RAL 5015 blue mentioned above for the ITC shocks and it wasn't close the original color so I went through paint chips in the Sherwin Williams automotive color tool and found Mercedes Benz code 949 KASKADENBLAU to be the best match to my shocks.
    I have the chip here on the shock and the drop of paint above is the Ral 5015. I added an additional amount of the blue toner when I mixed the chip color to make it a touch richer and bluer and the paint was pretty dang close!

Attached Files:

18. dingodog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 CR125, '82 WR250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    XC150
    Can I remove the springs without de-pressurizing the reservoir? Anyone removed/disassembled reservoir and had re-anodised?
    Thanks in advance!
  19. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    the springs slip off pretty easily, leaving the shock body available for painting. the pressured shock shaft will extend to its limit all the time. if it doesn't, it needs regassing / recoing etc. make a spring compressor to help do the job
  20. dingodog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 CR125, '82 WR250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    XC150
    Thank you, much appreciated!