1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Octane Booster?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rusty 2, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

I've let some really good riding buds of mine talk me into pre-registering for an AMA dual sport ride next month up in Ohio,...it will be my first one. Now the other day one of 'em tells me that the little country store out in the sticks where they make the gas stop doesn't have 93 octane high test. I always run Shell V-Power 93 @ 40:1 with Amsoil Dominator. I'd planned on packing a couple 4 oz. bottles of oil,...but now I'm wondering if I should pick up a bottle of octane boost as well....?
    Is that a good idea,...a bad thing,...or simply a gimic? :confused:

Anyone ever used any of the many different brands of this stuff in a two-stroke? What's in it? Will it hurt anything?

I don't like the idea of fueling my Husky with anything but my own perfectly measured home brew to begin with,....but I doubt I can carry enough pre-mix in my 4 little 1 liter fuel bottles to make the 100 mile loop Saturday on day 1. Sunday is a shorter day they tell me.
  2. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    I would just bring a MSR bottle full of race gas 112 and add that to the tank when you fill. Octane booster? No idea.....
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I've used octane booster in many of my two strokes over the years. It won't hurt anything in your engine and has a stabilizer in it as well. I have used either Trick, Klotz or Maxima and was usually using booster in older air cooled engines and observed trials bikes that had some lean jetting. These days, I just use a stabilizer in my fuel, as I always have plenty of high test on hand, although I have ridden a few of my bikes (both two and four stroke) on regular from time to time when I was in a remote area. No ill effects were noticed when I did that.
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is the best stuff I have found.
    http://www.batterystuff.com/fuel-treatments/OS2q.html

I used to carry race gas with me to mix, but now I can carry a much smaller amount and I have confidence in the product.

A small MSR bottle of this stuff will go along way.
  5. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey,...I like the looks of that stuff! I know the 112 race gas would up the octane too, but that stuff gives a mixing ratio table that sorta eliminates the guess work. I like that.
    Thanks a bunch guys & gal! :thumbsup:
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I personally would not use octane booster. It usually will not change your octane rating enough to do anything and has chemicals in it that are not good int he 2 stroke. I just don;t think it is the right solution. Race gas would be a better choice but you would need to pack a decent amount.
  7. HuskyMax Husqvarna
    AA Class

I agree with Kelly, if you look closely at how they rate the octane booster it is in points. 1 octane point is actually .1 octane number so even with the 18 ounces of the octane booster to 1 gal of gas you only gain 1.6 octane. If you would add 1 quart of 112 to 2 gal of 89 you would roughly have 92 octane.
  8. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Well, okay,....I've got 4 of those 1 liter MSR bottles. Two of 'em ought to suffice then, right? Much more than that, and along with my drink bladder and a few tools that stinkin' backpack starts to get kinda heavy.

Where exactly do I look for 112 octane race gas? There's a little county civil aviation air port nearby that has 110 octane AV gas,....
    but I can't remember ever seeing 112 race gas anywhere.
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    If it were me, aviation gas would be good enough.
  10. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

It sounds like neither one of you guys actually read the link I posted above. I found similar information for most octane boosters, but the 100% Trtraethyl lead in the Kemco booster is different. You absolutely cannot use it with a catalytic converter, but it works awsome without one. If you put 18 oz of it per gal of 89 as mentioned above you would end up with 105 octane instead of 90.6 as mentioned above.

You only need to add 2 oz per gallon to raise the octane from 89 to 94+ octane.

I used to carry 113 race gas all the time, now I can carry much less of the Kemco stuff and have confidence in it. I don't care of you use it or not, but I feel you owe it to yourself to at least read the link. Ken
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I have heard that aviation fuel actually burns quite hot because it is designed to work at extreme altitudes.:excuseme:
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I have heard something like that too,but I have not noticed any pre ignition or other signs of running hot. But maybe down yonder where you are it could be an issue.
    I only use it as a treat for my bikes to spice up the 92 octane and give them a little lead. It is good for them.
    Real handy for me to get. The airpark is on the way to town and I can drive right out on the runway and serve myself. About $.50 a gallon more than 92 at gas stations. The old jeep even gets a hit once in a while.
  13. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    I read your link with gret interest. I wonder if there could be a local source? Looks like a good product.
  14. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class