Not Husky Related - Justin Jones T-Boned @ the Baja 500

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by TemecuCoastie, Jun 10, 2015.

1. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    [IMG]The Ox Motorsports bike was thought to be missing after the crash, but was actually being protected by concerned bystanders.
    BAJA 500 NOTES
    This year there were two Bud Light Baja 500s, one in the North and one in the South. Last month, Colton Udall won the southern version by riding solo. For the northern version, he was racing in Australia, so his Ox Racing Teammates Justin Jones, Ray DeSoglio and Mark Samuels handled the duties without him. The Precision Concepts THR Kawasaki team was in a similar situation: team leader Ricky Brabec was riding a National Hare & Hound, so Max Eddy Jr., Justin Morgan and Ian Young rode his 1x bike.
    In the end, the 1x Kawasaki won the race, as reported. But not without a lot of drama. Now that everyone is home, the stories are coming out. Justin Jones was leading the race at mile 96, when he hit a truck that was on the wrong side of the road. “I knew the area was sketchy,” said Justin afterward. “There was a lot of traffic and during prerunning there was a speed limit imposed. I knew the turn was blind, so I went outside as far as possible, and that’s where the truck was. I went off the road on the right and he went in the same direction. I don’t think there was anything I could have done.”
    [IMG]Justin was rescued by the locals and a very dedicated bystander name Gabriel, who helped get him to medical help as quickly as possible. Three hours later he was in a San Diego Hospital where he was diagnosed with a fractured pelvis and collarbone. The locals also took care of his bike, making sure it ended up in the right hands. As for the race, Morgan, Young and Eddy took win, which was long over due, after suffering their own bad luck in the previous two SCORE races in Mexico this year. Unfortunately, their team leader was also injured on the same weekend. Brabec went down in the Hare & Hound, and was injured himself.
    The Baja 500 was also troubled with a number of crashes on the truck side of the fence, involving Robby Gordon among others. All this brings issues of safety back to the surface. The Caselli Foundation had the funds to provide helicopter support for part of the race, but unfortunately, that had ended before the Jones crash. There will be more updates to come.
  2. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    more power to the racers...and to the glory of open course Baja racing- it's flat out epic..but you will never see me racing an open course race..like any of these.

PS Ive raced more times in Mexico than a lot of folks, just always in closed course moto only races (Enduros, HS, XC type events only) I even felt safe in the Tecate GP that went right though town, but had full traffic control at every road section and intersection.
    Kam1 and TemecuCoastie like this.
  3. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    Robert said it best, this is "open course racing". You are racing on open public roads used by locals, farmers, spectators etc. Also Justin was leading the race at the time so he was "breaking trail" on the course. Perhaps the guy driving the truck didn't expect the racers to come through that early, or even knew there was a race that day. This is only speculation on my part.

I raced SCORE Baja races for 15 years starting with the 1985 Baja 1000 and ending with the 2000 Baja 2000 and am fortunate to have never smacked into another motor vehicle. The closest I came to that was in the 1990 Baja 1000 when I drew the number 1 starting position and was "breaking trail" at 6:00 AM out of the Ojos Negros start area. I was amazed at the number of spectator cars and trucks I encountered in the first 20-30 miles of the race. A rule I have always "lived" by while racing down there is always assume there is a car or truck coming at you at every blind corner or rise so NEVER charge into those situations wide open.
    robertaccio likes this.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    but you will never see me racing an open course race..like any of these

never say never I would do it in a car or truck
    TemecuCoastie likes this.
  5. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im glad that young fella will recover. Glad for him and his family and friends.
  6. TemecuCoastie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FC250 and 2012 TC250
    A truck goes without saying.

In Webster's under the word "Macho" there's a caption: "See Trophy Truck"
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have done it about 15 times always in a truck even trophy truck a few times. BUT there is nothing better then doing it on a bike I have always preran on a bike. Some day I hope to return but for now I will remain on this side of the border. Closes thing to Baja is Vegas to Reno which is in a few weeks. Next year for my 60th birthday I want to solo Vegas to Reno. Got a year to think about it. I have done Vegas to Reno like 13 times so I have a idea what to expect.
    A new TE 300 is my choice so far I have finished Vegas to Reno on a ATK 560and ATK 604, Than a Yamaha YZ 400,426 and 450. So now it is time to do it on a Husky TE 300.
    LandofMotards likes this.