Northwest Fall Gathering Round 2 - China Hat / Bend Oregon Oct 2011

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by oregonsage, Jul 12, 2011.

1. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Thursday October 27th through Monday October 31st.. At China Hat/East Fort Rock OHV area near Bend Oregon, Camp/Staging Area 25

(What happens in these events people start drifting in on Thursday, then there are a few remaining until Monday... for the most part.)

After input from members it will be China Hat again with the 'encouragement' of Husqvarna NA and local dealer Bills Husqvarna (BMP)....details of their participation to follow.

One of the last weekends in October, 2011 (come for a day or 5, whatever works for you) at Central Oregon's East Fort Rock/China Hat riding area, Camp 25.

Bring cake, we have a handful of October birthdays to celebrate among other things!!!

China Hat Gathering Logistics Information

EFR/China Hat General information

Camp 25 Map

Weather Forecast (Hourly Chart)

A few bullet points (for more details open the Logistics document above)
    • There is a commercial airport RDM in Redmond, Oregon (15 miles north of Bend)
    • Bend has a wide variety of places to stay for the people that want to stay there. Fleabag to 4 star resorts .. really.
    • There are decent places to eat in Bend (and there are great places to eat in Bend, and there are McDonalds' in Bend ...it is a tourist destination, something for everyone.)
    • The riding area is about 30 miles / 60 minutes away from Bend
    • There will almost certainly be extra bikes
    • There will quite probably be a number of people with vehicles going between Bend and the riding area
    • Fishing, golf, mountain biking, skiing (unlikely in October) are common local pastimes so if you dont want to ride all the time there are other things to do. http://www.visitbend.com/
    • The Giant Loop bag people http://www.giantloopmoto.com/ are headquartered in Bend as is off-road gear vendor Atomic Moto http://www.atomic-moto.com . Atomic plans to visit us at the ride, too.
    • BMP Husqvarna (Bill's) is in Salem, about 2 hours west of Bend. They can help you with parts, off road permits and general Husqvarnaness plus they will be at the event. http://billshusky.com
    (Above stolen from Coffee and edited)
    Update by Coffee 8/12/2011:

I will add information here as it develops.
  2. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'll take China Hat redux for a Hundred Alex...
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Shasta just because I haven't ridden here. BUT it does not look like much single track.
  4. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Shasta , not much single track at China Hat
  5. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

I dont know much about Shasta.You would think there would be some excellent riding .Dont really ever here much about the place tho...except for the Shasta Dam Gran Prix.north of Weed is some very interesting volcanic terrain,but dont know if there is riding.Dan
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    The D36 Buckhorn Enduro was held at Shasta-Chappie for years. It tended to get snowed out as it was in November, but it was good stuff. It got cancelled right after 9/11, since you need to drive over the dam itself in order to get to the staging area, and it didn't get held for many years...I think the first time was last year. It's a real nice campground right at the base of the dam, right above the Sacramento River. Kind of annoying, though, as you can hear the hum of the dam all night long. There are other staging areas besides the one near the dam but they're way out there and not big enough to stage an enduro. For years you had to apply for a permit ahead of time to cross the dam, then it went to showing ID when the dam crossing was open, then I think they just left the gate unattended.
  7. rpmguy Husqvarna
    B Class

Hello out there. I no all the NW guys and maybe Bills are going to China Hat in the fall. Im going to ride to my famous corner and have a beer for all the downed riders LOL. Maybe Bill will bring a few of the new 2012. I havent been back yet to the crash site. This time Im going to ride in the back of the pack.
  8. MoombaRdr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr250
    China Hat East Fort Rock Camp II, TJR will be there in the fall, we will meet you at the corner with a cold one. I will bring one for PC also, you two can have a proper reunion.
  9. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I vote for China Hat. I can't afford the gas and tme off to go down to Shasta.
  10. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    China Hat is big enough, with enough staging/camping areas to accomidate large groups, but in the fall, dust (like everyone that attended last year knows) is the problem.
    I really don't know if it is any worse than most riding areas in CA in the fall though.

It is always hard to plan ahead because of the weather, but how about setting a date earlier in the spring/summer for a group ride? I have gone to CH three times in the last couple of months for two to three day rides and had pretty good to excellent conditions each time. Currently there are some light rain showers moving through for a few days and the riding should be pretty good, so I'm planning to go.
  11. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lobos usually runs the Fall Classic ISDE in late October at EFR/China Hat (it was a week after our event last year, but they plan to move it to another location this year so it doesnt look like we have any other off-road events to compete with at China Hat until November (tent).
  12. bigriver Husqvarna
    AA Class

China Hat gets my vote.
  13. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I'm down for China Hat. I was actually thinking about going down and racing the fall classic.
    One way trails that weekend :cheers:
  14. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I havent seen the details yet, but indications are that Fall Classic will be in the Tillamook area this year http://www.lobosmc.com/ . MRA has a tentative spot on the OMRA calendar at China Hat the first week of November, but Im not sure what that will pan out to be. http://www.motorcycleridersassociation.org/

And I agree, the races are a great way to enjoy the area without the oncoming traffic hassel.
  15. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

China hat works
  16. BrandonR Husqvarna
    A Class

I'd go to China hat again.

Mid October is usually a good time to be there, this year the weather is anything but normal though so :excuseme:
  17. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm.... maybe China Hat in October and Stonyford in November since it is farther south. Gives a couple of options. I am waiting to hear more from the folks in Northern California about the options down that way. Given the right circumstances I could do both.
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

What is the event at China Hat the first week of November?
  19. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    MRA lists it as "Enduro/Race" ..... I've not yet heard a firm plan or location so it may not even be at China Hat.

But I have some contacts and will see if I can get some clarification.
  20. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I'll be watching as this unfolds....
    If it's China Hat then I'll probably make it, but I really dont have the interest nor motivation to drive to Shasta. Too far and too hot for my nancy-ass fairweatherness!

How about Gifford!?!?
    I'll certainly make that one!