1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Nordisk rims

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Wildebeest90210, May 5, 2012.

1. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've got a set of Original rims from my 83 500cr. The front is cracked in one place. I'm having a clear out so the question is are they of any use or are they scrap?
  2. hvaloz2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

i am sure it can be welded.... not good for a super cross triple jump....but no husky parts should be scrapped.
  3. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK, I will list them here first along with a 'scrap' 430 barrel and head see if anyone wants them.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    It might be seam separation from a direct hit. Rims like these are rolled, seam welded, then finish macines for roundness. The seam is welded about 50% or less with the weld zone central across the width of the rim. A coincidental impact at the seam will cause the unwelded ends to separate without affecting the weld or structural integrity of the rim
  5. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just worried about embrittlement due to age/work hardening. I will post a pic with the rest of my stuff on classifieds. I don't know but I guess Nordisk stopped making rims years ago. Did they supply any other marques apart from Husky?
  6. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Tie some fencing wire around those rims and twitch it up tight or the weld will come undone.
    Fine with the wheel laced up but they will explode if left bare for any length of time.
    [IMG]
  7. Leigh Roberts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC450, SWM RS650R
    dukkman, you are so right. I found my 430 rim separated on the garage floor today. I'd cut the spokes out a couple of months ago and was preparing the rims and hubs for rebuilding. The front has been sitting doing nothing and must have separated in the past couple of weeks. Looks just like your picture, as if someone put a very straight saw blade through it.
    Can it be easily welded up again?
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I have not let the crack or place that never was welded bother me. I do not have but a couple of rims without spokes and none have broken apart. I like the Nordisk rims because they are dated and say made in Norway. Whether I would repair or buy another rim, probably buy a new one how much is a rim now $175?

My guess is they are electron beam, plasma or perhaps resistance welded. It is most likely extruded class of aluminum as opposed to cast which will tig weld nicely probably preheat advisable. As for the results, I would expect those are heat treated, It won't be like new. I would want to fixture the rim with the gap closed (maybe not fully together) up as opposed to forcing the ends together, tacking and then welding so the tacks do not give way.
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I feel that a suitable replacement for Nordisk is the Sun rims that Buchanan's sell.

Have worked with resistance welding previously, the 50% central weld I previously mentioned about is a characteristic of that process
  10. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    DO NOT weld anything structural aluminum (like a rim) unless you have it re-heat treated. Welding removes any heat treating and makes aluminum as soft and weak as butter. You are far better off with a cracked but still heat treated Nordisk rim than welding one. Cracked Nordisks are common, all of mine are cracked and I do not give it a second thought.
    86 400 XC and husqyhamm like this.
  11. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I'm with Kartwheel, it is the spokes that hold the wheel together!
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    you guys realise this is a 2012 post?
    2premo likes this.
  13. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Nah, never look at the dates, life is rapidly disappearing over the horizon as it is.:cry:
    SA63 and oldbikedude like this.
  14. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have welded hundreds of them with no issues. Buried rocks in the Dez really beats rims up.
    Later George
    VoodooHusky likes this.