1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Nomadic Rack

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by gillies, Jun 9, 2013.

1. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
  2. Radar Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
  3. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    That looks nice! Well designed and ready for lots of different items. I'm thinking that would be a great place for a tool bag.
  4. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
    That's what I was thinking. I am very aware of the add-on fuel tank Motosportz carries, and it looks good, but I was thinking this might be cool for times when I don't need fuel but could carry other items like, as you suggested, a tool bag or similar. Just wanted to know if anyone has put this thing through some torture testing, as I know many have with the Motosportz tank.
  5. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    Just ordered one for my '07 TE250 for a dual sport trip to Colorado this summer.
  6. J_monk Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 smr511
    Just installed a nomadic rack on my 2011 smr511 there's a little bit of cutting to the plastics but nothing major looks great and is nice and sturdy highly recommend it!
  7. J_monk Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 smr511
    Just installed one on my smr511 last week looks great and is nice and sturdy there's a little bit of cutting to plastics required but nothing major, highly recommend it!
  8. J_monk Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 smr511
  9. SDPUTTER Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 511
    Justin, the owner and way cool guy :D, installed the one on my bike (pictures on his website). I've run it a few times with just the one gallon rotopax. Single tracking, It spanked me a couple of times when I had an planned/unexpected buck and needed to hang my a$$ off the back. I've also got a large wolfman rolie bag. For me, the large is too big, I should have gotten the medium. I think I could stuff a sleeping bag in it. I only ran it once on top of the rotopax. I tied the bag down a little further back and had the same room as without it, but I'm only 5'9". Didn't run it too hard. Has worked great for me so far.....especially with the leverage I can get to drag the back of the bike around in a pinch
  10. Husqmarkus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250x Yama, 2010 Tiger 1050
    Great question! I was thinking about this rack for my upcoming CO trip. I will need to carry some additional fuel; since Beasty only gets about 40 mpg. I already have a rotopax so no additional cost there and it would be nice to have the ability to attach a tool bag to it when not carrying fuel.

Okay I just ordered the rack; I wonder how the "trim plastics" will work. I am hoping they provide me with a template to make the trim to the plastics? I am looking forward to receiving the rack.
  11. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Keep us posted, this trimming also has me wondering...:rolleyes:
  12. J_monk Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 smr511
    No template but it comes with easy to read/follow instructions with pictures
  13. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    Shipped with crappy steel hardware (not stainless) and bolts that were too short sending me to Lowes.
  14. gillies Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 R1200GSA
    Have you installed it yet? Beyond the hardware, what do you think? Three weeks from my trip, and I'm still on the fence with this one.
  15. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    The rack is welded, tubular steel, quite strong and powder coated. The rack is decent. I guess I shouldn't be too down on them because of some missing bolts. It just pisses me off. At any rate, the mounting design isn't just great, but it is definitely strong enough for the 20lb recommended max carry weight. In fact, the rack itself could probably carry 100 lbs, in which case it is massively over designed and a lot heavier than it needs to be. However, if you are looking for an easy, bolt-on rack to carry 20 or 25 pounds this one will serve you as well as any other. You might just have to go buy some M6x1.0 bolts that are 60 mm long. Ultimately I will probably replace all the hardware with stainless.
  16. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I had the nomad rack but sent it back because of the fit was for a 2011 model.. It was in my opinion overly built for the 449/511 . It had very good holes around the plate for securing things with straps , just thought it was on the heavy side . The front mounts were what needed to be fixed for the 12"/13"... I came up with my own system and plan to make my own rack that goes on the fender to ad too my carrying capacity. I use all stainless bolts, aluminum and carbon fiber brackets . The hard cases I bought at Sears for $9 each... My stetup wieghs less than the nomad rack :) Here is the link to my build if have not seen it allready. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/i-got-panniers-on-my-te511.33834/

[IMG]
  17. MotocycleWriter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650, TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150RT, BMW R100GS
    Definitely overly built, Rearwheelin. Should be aluminum and weigh only a few pounds. I bet this one weighs, six pounds. Maybe seven. And those ounces add up...

That said, and even given the negatives, it's a decent, robust rack that will do the job. I do like the size of it. Be no problem to lash on a Pelican 1450 or even a 1500. It'd also take a top case with the old, plastic-cutting-board-multi-purpose-mounting-plate. If you need a rack, this will do the job. If you need the perfect rack, keep looking. I'll probably keep mine and upgrade with stainless hardware. Oh, and it was relatively cheap, considering the price of this off-road gear.
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  18. toolguy1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250WR, 1978 390OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 triumph tiger, 2012 KTM 500EXC
    I purchased one of the rear racks for my '11 TE449. The package came in..........NO HARDWARE!! I emailed Justin and he said he forgot to put it in my box. It took a week to get the hardware to me. The installation went OK and the rack is solid yet a bit heavy (agreed should be aluminum). The price is good so no real complaints here.
  19. Husqmarkus Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250x Yama, 2010 Tiger 1050
    Here is mine with a little bling on it for originality. I am still learning on the CNC machine so feel free to critique - I have a tough skin :applause: I personally think it looks very sweet....
    [IMG]
    I really like how below the paint on the rack it was very shiny aluminum will mount her up tonight and snap a couple of photos to post up here :)
  20. toolguy1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 250WR, 1978 390OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    05 triumph tiger, 2012 KTM 500EXC
    You're right........it is aluminum!! I just checked it with a magnet.......no sticky!! haha
    It must be that good heavy kind of aluminum. It sure seemed heavy when I mounted mine for some reason.
    I think the mounting bracket is steel.

Nice looking job on the logo machining!!