noisy engine normal..

Discussion in '610/630' started by justplainron, Nov 12, 2020.

1. justplainron Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    NONE
    Other Motorcycles:
    fjr1300, DR650, KTM300, Buell ULY
    O.k Im having second thoughts now. I have a video on my phone I took of the bike after several hard pulls. Its idling and its really kinda noisy tick tick... Goes away just above idle. Don't think its that decompression thing, but maybe it is. I have a video i took on my phone but apparently I cannot upload an apple M4V video. Its not obnoxiously loud, and certainly is no knock. Man I wish someone who knows these bikes could hear it. It has manual cam chain adjuster, so maybe that needs ran in just a bit. I know valves usually get tighter, and not more noise.. Hmmmmmmm am I making mistake? Oil was changed about 500 miles ago.. Engine is all new inside, chain is new, 2500 miles on complete overhaul with documents and photos supporting it. Maybe Im just used to my whisper quite DR..I don't know what to do with this video to upload it, i figured about anything iPhone related could be uploaded these days.

Ill try this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWefMYMeM4&feature=youtu.be
  2. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Normal. Idle kinda sounds like my 630. There are more videos on here of people with similar noise questions.
    justplainron likes this.
  3. justplainron Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    NONE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Kirbybikes, It does sound like just normal mechanical noises related to valvetrain etc.. I spent a nit of time listening to thos" my husky makes noise" videos and you can definitley hear a difference on a few of them where something wasnt right. I need to figure out the procedure for the manual chain adjuster as well. I slept on it last night and woke up feeling good this morning.
  4. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    The last time I heard my bike was some weeks ago (then the tracks were closed again because of the coronavirus and I won’t use it until they open and spring raises the temperatures).
    As far as I remember, the noise at idle is very similar and in general it’s usual that a 610 sounds like that.
  5. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    It could be the cam chain but it doesn't sound bad. On my 86 510 manual adjuster you loosen the locknut and push it in until you feel resistance, then tighten the lock nut. I understand the newer ones are ratcheted.
  6. justplainron Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    NONE
    Other Motorcycles:
    Im pretty sure its fine, I picked it up 30 Minutes ago. i have a whole truckload of spares!
  7. Scott Eldredge Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 Te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW F850 GSA. Gas Gas Txt 300
    Yesterday I was sitting on the floor next to my idling 630, and I heard all kinds of noises. Does make you think something might be wrong. When I stood up, it didn't sound so messy. I think it's normal for these bikes and bikes like this. There's a lot going on inside. My KLR was the same way--all kinds of mechanical noises and whirring and clacking.
  8. The Old Husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 610, 1990 EML Husqvarna
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 TM MX125
    Husqvarna's are the strongest big 4 stroke singles on the market. That comes with some sounds. What i hear in the video are the valves. But part of the sound is also made by the combustion itself. Think on clatter with big diesel engines who have this very obvious. This was a lot worse on my 1985 TE 510. When it has a nice idle run, pulls like crazy, and react fast on the throttle, its ok. By the way, my 1987 Honda XR 250 was also a noisy thing. And after tuning it became worse, but he always ran. Its not a silent tourer like BMW.
  9. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    There sure as hell was something wrong with mine when it was making noise cos it started knocking when one of the crank journal bearings let go on the second ride of last season, havent had the bike back since the rebuild cos something wasnt making it run right :mad: but i ride it like it was stolen all the time & its held up well til 17000 miles.
    The cylinder, piston & rings & valves looked in very good condition.
  10. Ungarisch Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SM510R, 2007 SM610, 2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Z1000
    That sounds identical to my bike with only 1200 miles. Valvetrain noise is completely normal. Rod knock would sound very different than the sounds in your video, a very distinct thunk and sounds nothing like the combustion sounds and valve tick in your video.

I just recently did the valves on my bike and set the gaps perfectly in the middle of the allowed range, and I still get the same tick as you. It's completely normal.

Your's being a 610 I would keep an eye out of the chain stretch if you're north of 10k miles and ignore the other sounds. It's mostly in our heads.
  11. justplainron Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    NONE
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have come to terms with the noise level and it not much of a thought at this point. I just didnt have any experience with this particular bike. Now I do have the manual cam chain adjuster so I need to figure out when I will nesd to adjust that, but as of right now the motor only has about 2700 miles on it since complete top and bottom end rebuild. I'll just pay attention to it when I get more seat time on it in spring when some rides are scheduled!
    I will say that I enjoy this thing immensley, with all the sprocket combos and tires and tons of spares and extras, I have played around and found that I like the 47 tooth on the back. I am currently running a 48 because that was the sprocket on the 50/50 wheel set, the 47 on the 80/20 dirt wheel set seems more what I want so I will swap out the 48 from the 50/50 tire to the 47 and I should about be golden. just a tad over 5K at 70 and I should be able to cruise for hours..
  12. Eoin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin AS
    I had an obvious ticking noise on my 250, turned out to be a cam bearing. It went from ticking to death rattle really quickly, so if you've done a few miles it's probably fine.