1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

No Spark, need some help

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Tythew, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    2008 Husky TXC 250
    So we were at a double header race a couple weekends ago and the bike runs great Saturday, however Sunday it won't start. I tear into it to try to get my son to the starting line and find it is getting no spark.. Finally I just sent him out on my bike. So after going through the manual and searching on here I am still puzzled. The coil reading were coming up a bit off so I bought a new coil. It didn't change anything.

Here are the readings:
    Primary Winding Resistance - Manual states 4.5 Ohms +/- 15% - My Readings 0.5 to 0.8 ohms. This seems off, but both new and old coils read the same :(
    Secondary Winding Resistance - Manual = 5KOhms +/- 20% - My Reading 5.4KOhms
    Terminal Cap resistance - Manual =4.5 to 5.5 Kohms - My Readings 5.01Kohms
    Exciter - Black-Red and Red-White - Manual = 12.7 ohms +/- 15% - My readings 14 ohms
    Charge - Yellow and white wires - Manual = 0.16 ohms +/- 15% - Mine = .5 ohms
    Lamp - Yellow and ground - Manual = 0.65 ohms - Mine 0.8 ohms

Any input? Where do I go from here?
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    • do you have 12 volts to the coil? (look for frayed or broken wires) Use a voltmeter.
    • how are the coil grounds? (look for frayed or broken wires)
    • did you do anything to the bike between Saturday and Sunday?
    • unplug the kill button.
    • how is your spark plug? water or gas inside the cylinder or outside?
    • how is your battery and condenser? (capacitor- kinda hard to measure in Farads)
    • clutch safety switch? bypass maybe
    Your resistance measurements seem fine. (btw, betcha your meter shows 0.5-0.8 ohms with the leads shorted together). But I don't see where you measured the pick up coil (trigger- 100 ohms); also make measurements with the circuit unplugged unless specified.
  3. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    Thanks for the response Trenchcoat.
    All wires seem to be just fine.
    How would I check for 12v to the coil? While turning it over?
    Nothing was done Saturday to Sunday.
    Kill button was one of my first checks. Tested functional at the wire to the cdi.
    Spark plug was replaced to rule that out.
    Battery is good and still turns the motor over just fine.
    I don't know how to test the condenser. Farads? My multimeter probably won't test that.
    Did the TXCs have the clutch safety switch? Mine does not.
    Pickup Coil... the manual has a good test but says it is for only the TE and SMR models. But to check resistance between the Green wire and the white wire. Reading should be 100 ohms. Does this apply to the TXC as well? Seems odd as the pickup Coil has the green wire and a red wire. The white goes to the stator.
  4. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Primary coil resistance reading are way too low. This will kill the spark.

Paw Paw
  5. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    The brand new coil spec'd out exactly the same. Seems odd, but maybe it is bad too?
  6. DirtRoadevil Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 txc510
    I'm curious also. I have a 2009 510txc in the exact same boat right now. I also purchased new coil and it read the same as old one. Electrical is not my strong field at all. My bike does have a clutch safety switch but they are simple to cut outta the system. Do u have and different readings or results by kick-starting vs electric? My bike was great one afternoon ,next day absolutely no spark.
  7. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    sounds good- what did your old pick up measure out to be? they usually don't fail overnight when not riding.

btw, I wanna reemphasize this: resistance is measured with everything unplugged from the component.... usually.

good luck.
  9. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    The old pickup shows no continuity, open. Pretty sure it is bad.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  10. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    The pulsar Coil is replaced and the bike runs again! Thank you all for your help.
    DirtRoadevil and Trenchcoat85 like this.
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    :applause:

got any pictures, advice, hints, part numbers, costs for anybody reading this 5 years from now? You're the expert now.

did you compare resistance measurements of the old pick up (open, I guess) and the new?
  12. Tythew Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TXC250
    Sorry no pictures. The pulsar Coil was the one linked above from RickyStator.com. The two leads (green and red) on the original showed open with a resistance check. The new one measure right around 100 ohms lead to lead. It is pretty much a bolt it in and solder and heat shrink the leads and go process.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.