No Huskys

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by bsh7680, May 26, 2018.

1. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    Well for the 1st time in 8 years I do not own a husky. Found a TM and I love it. The motor and suspension are great. Cafe Husky has been great and I will be checking in from time to time.
    gots_a_sol likes this.
  2. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    You found a TM? Like on the side of the road or under the couch :rolleyes: Beautiful bikes :cheers:
    gaz and Dirtdame like this.
  3. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    2 years ago i had a chance to get my YZs road registered- that was the time i got rid of all my husky bikes.
    since then i do own YZ125 and 250s only...
    I like the Husky engines for their durability- they where robust but it was always a pita to get parts for...
    i do maintain/repair the huskys of my friends- so i still have them around me but i ll stick to yams for better parts availability, also i m a yam person.
    I m still using cafehusky - its one of my favorite forums- the people here are good- great community!
  4. jeanjean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    IT175H
    I never rode one of the "new" yams with the alu frame, but the steel framed 125. I liked the balance of the yam, which is similar to the one of the husqvarna.

Actually, I thing that the husky is one of, if not the most well-balanced 125 cc.

The YZ is very close. I feel well on yamaha bikes too, so i understand what you mean when saying that you`re a yam person.

I tried a Suzuki RM but didn't feel well on it.
    I tried a Kawa KX and was not able to ride it.
    I tried an orange bike, but it feels to small.

Maybe I'm a yam guy too...

jeanjean
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    I was Yami before I was Husky. There are 3 Yamahas in my garage and 2 Huskies.
  6. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:

I think you made the point- both bikes are well balanced- thats why i liked the husky- seat position, chassis- i really felt home on it- but with yearly degrading intake boots, wires etc i went for the yam, havent bought a single intake boot in 30years for a YZ...
    NCSteve and gaz like this.
  7. gaz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    As a tall guy the stock Italian husky fits me well and the motor is mx style, just as a 250 should be. I take real care of the old girl now, and generally ride my KTMs so the WR can get a real day out every now and then without stressing too much about replacing bits. The Husky has definitely gotten under my skin.
    NCSteve likes this.
  8. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Since most parts are still readily available in the US, especially for the 125/165, I'm sticking with the red Huskys awhile longer. Actually, the 165 is near perfect for me and the SE woods, so planning to maintain it as long as possible. 300 I'm thinking I'll do another 50 hours, wear out the original piston, then refresh and trade it on another 300 or maybe a dual sport.
    I'm moderatly tall, 6 ft, but 33" inseam and arms makes all bikes seem a little cramped, especially jap bikes. Red Huskys just need a tall bar and I feel pretty good in the saddle.

My ex racing bud was a yz man, so ridden lots of them and liked them all. Hadn't ridden the ali frame though. Def considered being more practical and just going YZ. Great bikes, lots of parts and mods available with no end in site. Something about the more exotic EU bikes that excites me though. Started in '80 when I traded my Honda CR250 for a Maico and continues still. :cheers:
  9. bsh7680 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 PW 50, 08 KTM 50 JR Pro
    Steve if you can find a TM I would suggest you give it a try. Rode Italian Huskys since 2010, but could not bring myself to buy a blue KTM. The TM is an amazing bike. After some research, there are more aftermarket parts than I thought. I have heard the OEM parts are fairly easy to get, but have not had to try them out yet. I like to be on the exotic bike too.
    NCSteve likes this.
  10. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:

i did buy a 1999 TM80 for my niece acouple of years ago- it was easy to get parts for here in germany- 1 phone call and the parts will arrive 2 days later.
    build quality was superior- i had to lent the bike to a local championship driver as his ktm 85 was giving him a hard time having cheap/rubbish brakes and was constantly using crankshafts after 40-60hours...

I do repair these bikes and if you doing so- you ll see the differences in engine manufacturing...
    for example the WR250 engines- the engine cases are bulletproof- maybe to heavy - but you see why these engines can do more hours than others, TM on the other hand has 4 crank bearings in some of their engines which reduces the crankshafts to bend/flex.
    The older TE610 without an oil pump- great engines when used for what they are made for. TE 250/450/510- really strong runners- again a little bit heavy but robust engines- they are still running strong around here- its a shame parts availability is really not that good anymore...
    My neighbours KTM 350 SXF was constantly having metal flakes in the oil, and he is very gentle to the bike, cleans everything, changes oil after every ride... he did open the engine up to find out there was exccessive metal on the engine cases from production which caused the flakes in his oil...
    He bought another brand dirtbike now...
  11. jeanjean Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    IT175H
  12. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:

I just realised you are from the netherlands- i sold my old 165 husky to a friend from eindhoven- where about are u from?