1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New (used) TE310

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DRCA, May 9, 2016.

1. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR650R/Scorpa SY250F/Gas Gas TXT Pro
    New user on this forum, so I'll try not to deluge people with too many questions...

I picked up a used 2011 TE310 a couple of days ago.. The bike has 800 miles and is actually street legal in California (rare!) I just rode it around the neighborhood and it feel pretty good. I plan to ride fire roads some single tracks and maybe get back into doing a few enduros and dual sport rides.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Oh yeah, a little about me... I am on the old side of 50 :-), was born and raise in France and moved to California 30 years ago. I have been riding dirt bikes since I was 14. I am a 4 stroke aficionado and previous bikes included 1988 Husky 510, 1992 Husaberg 501, 2000 KTM 520 but I also had some smokers, like a TM 80 (1992 I think - big wheel, pink bodywork, it was factory bike that ran the ISDE in Tulsa with factory suspensions all around, best bike ever :-) ), and a few trials bike. I also have a WR450F in France where I ride a couple of times a year.

So, now I need to pimp up the 310 a little bit and I have some questions:
    • I am the third owner of the bike, the previous owner owned the bike for a few month and didn't ride it much and didn't do much to the bike either. So most of the mods were done by the first owner which makes it tricky to get all the details of what's been done to the bike.
    From what I understand the previous owner the bike has been de-restricted: throttle stop removed, O2 sensor removed (and maybe some other stuff. I've searched on the forum and the other possible things are removing the catalytic converter I know where and what to look for), and the velocity stack. On this one, I am in the dark as to what to look for and where to look. Any pointers would be great.

• Radiator guards - The bike doesn't have any. What's the good setup for radiator guards? What do people recommend?

• Low end stall / backfire - The bike tends to hesitate / stall when the throttle is cracked open rather fast from all the way closed and there is some backfire too. I am surprise that this still happens on EFI bikes... What's the fix? New EFI programmable controller? What's the recommendation on these? 12 points injector? I read the various posts but couldn't come to a definitive conclusion!

• Pipes / headers / muffler - without wanting to throw too much money at the bike, is there much to gain from a new header / muffler? I am looking for bottom end grunt rather than top end. I might have a good deal on a Akrapovick will system, but if it adds only to the top end and robs some off the bottom, I'll pass.

• Suspensions - The bike came setup with a lot of static sag so I reset it to 35mm. But... since I am on the higher end of the weight scale [IMG] I am sure that I am going to need to look into the suspensions pretty quickly. What's a good place to get springs? Any tuning recommendation (I have Racetech Gold Valves and shims stack setup in my WR and I've been relatively happy with it).

• General recommendations - Any recommendation of mods / improvements to do on the bike?

I am sure I'll have a lot more questions and thank you in advance for all the help.

Denis

Attached Files:

juicypips likes this.
  2. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

Zip-Ty can reprogram you ecu, they are also known for their suspension work . they really are a one stop shop. You can sen your forks in a rifle case and b sure they will arrive and return in good shape. My .02
  3. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Zipty can't reprogram the ECU on a 2011.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Depends on how much street you plan to do with it. If you are only going to ride the dirt you won't have any problems....but if you are doing any fair amount of pavement, you'll have to restore all the street legal gear that the bike originally came with (mirrors, horn, turn signals, etc).
  5. Tugsy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice tank is that an IMS? I thought those tanks would not accept stock plastic shrouds?
  6. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I think it's the IMS. The shrouds fit ok on it (with a little bit of distortion). The tank is just a tad longer (or the location of the anchor stud is a little further back than on the stocker) and the seat is just a pain to put back on. The lower fuel cocks are reversed compared to stock (left <-> right - no idea why) and the fuel line / pump power connections at the back of the tank are pretty much impossible to access making the tank installation / removal an ordeal.

I don't need the extra capacity so I have the stock tank that I tried to put back on. It had some stripped thread inserts (these are crappy compared to what the Japanese use on theirs) and some of these were repaired but the tank ended up leaking. So I put the IMS tank back on, the one of the fuel line inside the tank burst :eek:... wasting what would have been my first ride on the bike!

I found and ordered a stock tank on eBay that I should receive this week. I'll probably keep the large tank if I ever do Dual Sports rides.
  7. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It looks like your O2 sensor has indeed been removed, which probably means the shunt and other "power-up" mods have already been done. It'll be easy to tell if the throttle stop and airbox restrictor are gone as well. The Cat is in the exhaust pipe between the header and the can. Easy to see if it's gone, but I suspect it is.

TXC ECU and 12 point injector will rid you of your off-idle bog. But you'll need iBeat software and cable to reset TPS and other stuff. This is far and away the best mod I did for my bike. Maybe a dealer near you can help.

Check your chain guide on the swingarm. My stock one wore really fast, and the chain was starting to saw through it.

My stock springs were wildly mis-matched and incorrect for my weight (200 fully armored) Replace the oil in your forks and shock, then dial in spring rates per Vinduros guide on this site. http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/vinduros-suspension-setup-recommendations.17836/

I have 250 hours on my 310, and have crashed many times, but never have I damaged the radiators. They seem well protected.

NICE SKIDPLATE. Uptite Racing George Erl special. :thumbsup:
  8. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    Good list, Aaron8.
    The 310 is a fun bike, love mine. You can do a lot of upgrades to make it even better. I did all of the above and then some... full Ohlins and Akrapovic exhaust... IMG_0728.JPG
    Aaron8 likes this.
  9. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:

Whoa.... Niiiiiiiiiiiice!

Couple of questions for you:
    • What plastics do you use and how well do they fit?
    • How do you like the Akra exhaust? Is that the full exhaust or just the muffler? And can you pass sounds inspection with it?
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

1st find out if you have a 4pt (yellow) or 12 pt (green) injector in it.

I beat can fix a 4pt injector with a little work.
  11. DRCA Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310, 2013 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:

Got the yellow (4 ports) one.
  12. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WOW! Full Ohlins goodness! That is one gorgeous machine. Is the frame black?
  13. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The 12pt injector and the related ECU will make the bike quite a bit more responsive @ $450!

....or you can get your hands on I-beat and tune it until it runs right.

I have a 250 with 4pt and a 310 with 12pt and they both run fine.

Set your TPS @ 102.3% WOT and richen up the COs until it runs good.

4pt like it around 105 107 109 with the Spark arrestor in the pipe.

Get I-beat and start playing.
  14. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, I love my 310.
    I don't remember the plastics brand... might have been Husky plastic. I got the plastic from Bill's Motorcycle Plus ( a CafeHusky sponsor).
    The Akra exhaust is a full racing exhaust, and yes it will pass sound inspection. I think it came with an optional baffle too. It adds a few HP across the RPM range and more low and mid torque.

IMG_1849.JPG
    juicypips likes this.
  15. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Thanks, Aaron8. Yes, the frame is black.
  16. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

you sign a waver. there is a way around it.
  17. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Zipty can only program 2013-14 ecu's that use the keihin injection not the 2012 and earlier with the mikuni injection.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  18. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    Possibly a PCV for that model year might be cost effective and work with your injector/ecu with already made maps from dynojet or ZT. I would check some early threads here or contact ZT.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  19. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

my bad, should have said for the power commander and auto tune. a waiver is needed.
  20. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    The TXC ECU is on an indefinite backorder from Husky. Yes the 12pt injector is eventually the way to go but it will run extremely rich on the bottom. If you've gone thru enough post on the forum you'll hear about the Powercommander V, no longer available to ca residents. If you can find the one with Fuel and Ignition #23-009 and add the 12 pt injector your bike will turn into a very fun bike where 1/3 throttle feels like 1/2 throttle or better before the mods. If you have questions you can PM me.
    EUROJulian likes this.