1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New to this forum

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Jeff B, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    Hey, new to this forum. Been watching and reading for a while and thought it is well worth the plunge. My current bike is a 1975 wr 250. Great bike! has everything I wanted for a vintage legal cross country bike. (1974 like design...250 mag) Uppipe, reed valve, mzb ..now, DC plastics high breather...it works with modifications, mikuni conversion...starts easy. It was all stock when I got it. Including the shocks. Had the motor done including new rod and new LA Sleeve back to original bore. Not asking questions right now, just an introduction. Always looking for ways that I can improve it, so any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks Jeff
    juicypips likes this.
  2. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    Welcome Jeff! Great bunch here.
  3. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Welcome
    You can add pics of your bike.:)
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Welcome, aftermarket shocks & premium tires are always good upgrades
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    sounds like you have a pretty good start! a good rebuildable fully adjustable set of shocks with springs set for your weight, along with maybe the the fork being sprung for you or dialed in would be good mods.
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Welcome and like others said; get some pics posted.
  7. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    You're gonna love this forum, welcome!
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Hi Jeff, glad you joined the site!

Quote: "Always looking for ways that I can improve it, so any suggestions will be welcome."
    Pictures and a description of the type of riding/racing you're doing will increase the likelihood of suggestions. Always like to see what changes others have found helpful to them. We love pictures.
  9. husqyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC430, 1987 250WR.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 955i
    Welcome
    This is a great site with a great amount of help, without most of the Bu***it found elsewhere.
  10. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    Actually bought the bike in 2009. I've tried Works shocks on another bike, now on the WR, I'm using 13.5 inch (stock 12 inch) Progressive. I can't tell that much difference. When you only have 4-5 inches of travel, it gets harder to tell good from average. On my modern KTM, I've been using Perelli Scorpion intermediate front and Kenda Millville rear. I like that combo, so that is what have been using for several years. It now has an aluminum mx tank. Proform pipe with DG hanging off the back. I have thought about a different reed block. What do most people do to mount a mikuni . I made a sleeve for the back of the carb out of a mountain bike innertube. It goes on but it is tight. I bought stiffer fork springs from Vintage Husky. Ordered modified damper rods from John. All I could see was holes drilled bigger and top out spring removed and rubber piece from newer forks put on instead. One of the best mods was a 400 cross front wheel with the larger brake shoes. I have a small machine shop in my garage so I can make spacers and bushings as needed. I noticed that the rear brake used a lot of adjustment even with new shoes. That changes the pivot point and you can loose leverage. I machined a fatter brake cam so that when new shoes are installed, it spreads the shoes a little farther apart. Husky doesn't use splines so you can't move the arm. Cross country is all I do with this bike, but I'm going to try trials. Jeff

Attached Files:

Crashaholic likes this.
  11. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    bike looks great, sounds like you have it pretty dialed..
  12. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Jeff, In reference to the carb mount on your bike, heres a link to an Autozone radiator hose that another member found would work, and it only cost 10 bucks. If you're thinking about a different reed block then check out Ebay for any used late model 70 Husky reed valves that used a stock Mikuni carb. To my knowledge the late 70's 360 and 390 intakes are the same as your 74 250 and all you really need is the reed plate with rubber flange-boot that connect to the carb.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8gddz?itemIdentifier=885483_0_0_
    cpat likes this.
  13. cpat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1972 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 wr250r,2014 klr 650 ne
    Hello again Crash. Got my 250 wr back together with your incouragement, totally flooded it and bruised instep kicking so much but it did fire and tried to run momentarily. What is this hose mod to connect a Mikuni you speak of? Pat
  14. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The hose I mentioned was to connect a Mikuni to the stock Husky intake manifold. You said you were using a bicycle tube, were you actually talking about the other end of the carb where it slides into the air cleaner housing?
  15. Jeff B Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1975wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha ty 175,
    Sorry..the mountain bike inner tube gasket is on the back end...goes into the bell. However...the "o" ring set-up looks better I don't like the inner tube set-up, but it works. For some reason, the inner tube beaks down with time. Carb removal is simple. I remove the carb and air bell as one unit. The "o" rings are better suited for the job I would think. Jeff