1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New to me 87 WR430

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Darrel78, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    My first left kick Husky. Not much work to do on this one image.jpg
    troy deck, suprize, wrx and 1 other person like this.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    nice, make sure you pull the swinger and grease the bearings. if they start binding much they will crack the swinger. i dont believe the cracking is a problem if the bearings stay tight and greased. lots of these swingers have cracked however when the bearing gets some rust, right where round bearing tube is welded to the rectangle channel. i have successfully tigged this repair and its held but its nice to not have to.
    some on here dont like the last gen swedes but they are my favorite. great chassis once dialed in for you weight. atf fluid in the fork and a lil stiffer springs at both ends work awesome for me anyway. best damn seat ever put on a dirtbike..nice big filter that stays clean a good while. nice big 3-plus gallon tank too. yours looks to be in pretty good shape, everything is easy to service on these bikes. very cool these were "handbuilt".
    chris squires likes this.
  3. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Nice example! It looks very original, decals and plastics look to be in quite good shape too.
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    nice find :thumbsup:
  5. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Thanks for the tip on the swinger, I'll take that down and service it. My plans are to dual sport this one. I'm pleasantly surprised on how easy it starts.
  6. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    that is one hell of of a bike there. keep it serviced up and use good oil and fuel. awesome condition. good luck with it.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    yeah some people complain about kicking the big lefties, but its a very nicely designed kicker with good leverage. tucks in well too. keep that kicker rubber in good shape! they are available new from husqvarnaparts. also make sure those motor mounts are tight, they can loosen and vibrate. the aluminum mounts then fatigue quickly after that. i bought a set of ss ones from the same place.
    not trying to preach or anything just letting you know things i have run into quite a few times with these things.
    way want to stock up on some 608rs bearings, they fit the chainrollers and brake pedal. i have always thought that roller bearing brake pedal was pretty trick
  8. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Thanks! This is the kind of interaction / information I was hoping to get. I've had great luck here at Cafe Husky on parts, advice, tips for interchangeability and such. Another old Husky lives on!
  9. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Seems I've read these bikes were prone to vibration issues but this one seems smoother than my '96 360 and that one is smooth. Have you seen any rear disc brake conversions for these bikes?
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    some people adapt parts from the early 91-92 rear disc huskies as the swingers are very similar toward the back. i actually really like the rear drums on the swedes like yours, you can really modulate them alot, seems the newer stuff is either locked or free. i swapped the brake pedal toe piece from a 91 husk pedal to my 88s, its double the size. if you look at your 96 pedal the toe piece attaches the same as the swede.
    Photo891.jpg
    Darrel78 likes this.