1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

new Te511, need help with initial setup (engine, handling, etc).

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by SloChicken, Sep 27, 2012.

1. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz450f, 900ss, st2, rd350, HD EG
    Hi all,

Just picked up a 2012 TE511, really looking forward to getting this bike out.
    Already ordered new decent desert (non-dmv legal) tires, the FMF slip on and went with the performance map download for now - may do the JD performance setup later.
    Threw on some backwards bendy ASV levers just for fun too.
    But curious about what everyone is doing to their bikes for best setup.
    Another thing. looking to ditch all the smog stuff. Any tips? for instance, what gives with the evap canistor on the L side of the engine??? Can I plug this thing and get it out of here?
    Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am coming off a YZ450f and my riding
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome :)

I'll move this over to the 4st area where the TE511 type of people hang out, so you can get more feedback.

:cheers:
  3. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Welcome... Great bike, great choice.

1. The muffler and EFI is hiding a bunch of power. You did the pipe, at some point do the EFI.
    2. Oil level is the biggest issue with these bikes. Set it at the bottom of the sight glass and then check it hot after riding. If you put to much in the crank case breather pukes into the airfilter and drains out the bottom of the airbox and onto the engine. Fun. I took my breather completely off and re routed it up by the head stay and with a filter and it is a none issue now.
    3. Springs are probably to soft, they are for most. Real nice comfy suspension (TE's) But get lively when pushed.
    4. First couple of times you do the air filter make sure it is sealing well. I like to rim grease mine. the far corners can leak if not setup right. I just got some Notoil filters for mine and they look much nicer than stock.
    5. Seat concepts seats rule and on this bike is fantastic
    6. Chain, sprockets, brakes and valves seem to last forever on this bike for some reason. My valves have not moved in 3500 pretty hard miles.
    7. Husky hard parts gas car is excellent and huge improvement over the stock one. My stock one worked OK new but warped after time and got real hard to use. The aluminum one spins on like butter.
    8. HDB hand guards witht he fold out mirros are very nice for this bike.

Shameless plug (Motosportz) We have real nice rotor guards and steering stabilizers for these as well as the add on Nomad tanks that give 3 gallon total and about 100-120 miles use.

Kelly

9. Go have some fun!!!

[IMG]
  5. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    mine is like this:
    2012 TE511
    Akrapovic Exhaust
    Cycra ProBend Bark Busters
    TuBliss 18" rear
    TuBliss 21" front
    Pirelli MT43 Trials rear tire
    Pirelli Scorpion XC mid-hard front tire
    DoubleTake mirrors
    Motosportz axle wrench
    Motosportz front axle bolt
    Motosportz shark-fin
    Motosportz steering dampner
    Motosportz skid plate
    7602 oil drain bolts
    7602 Rad brace
    Seat Concepts seat rebuild kit
  6. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    on order or waiting for me to install:
    front sprocket 14T
    JD EFI Tuner
    front tugger strap
    RAM mounts for the GPS and the SPOT.
    Nomad tank from Motosportz

I'd like to have the suspension set up this winter & will try an iridium plug if I can find it.
    Thinking about pivot pegs; I have them on the V-Strom & might be nice on the Husky.
  7. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    I'm 200lbs dry springs seem good on my 2012.... Bike is awesome . I havn't even messed with the shock sag. Turned the clickers up a bit.
  8. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks everybody!
    you all rock! Seems like this is going to be a great place to pick up info and share ride stuff!
    Keep the comments and tips coming!

I am kind of curious about the efi and what can be done to make that better. I haven't ridden the bike yet - trapped with 5 12h shifts this week. Really not too interested in "making do" until I have my new tires on the bike. Still have to install the pipe and get the performance map download put on. So, probably not going to ride the bike until next friday. It is going to be a long week ...

Thanks again all!
  9. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    RD350 ...Nice. My brother had a tricked out RD350 way back in the day. I was just a little kid but the garage talk, I remember, was that he could smoke any
    RD400 around. I do remember going for rides on the back and holding on for dear life while he rode wheelies down the street with me on the back.
    Back to topic, since you've invested in the pipe I would strongly recommend investing in the JD Tuner as well. They really should be sold in some kind of package
    deal because I think you need both to get most out of the motor. The JD Tuner, however, imo, will give the most significant power increase above anything else.
    Good luck and enjoy. :thumbsup:
  10. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Im 200lbs and needed a 6.0 spring. Its been revalved to so I dont know if that plays a role in shock spring.
  11. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    Kelly, where can I get the No Toil air filter? Parts Canada didn't bring them in so I have to order from USA.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    RockyMountainMC

No Toil Foam Air Filter 130-45

I will see if Bills wants to carry them as they seems to be a lot better build than stock.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    A couple of tricks on the 449/511 platform.

There is a wire that attaches to the head of the engine, you can see it on the left hand side near the top. It is a ground wire. Remove it and move it to your frame near by, there is actually a hole already in the frame near the front of your engine up top. Ty says it is the #1 failure (*When racing of course and may or may not ever fail during normal use) on the 449 Huskys. It gets hot/vibrates and breaks inside the insulation and you won't even know it, but your bike will be sputtering and not run right.

Also, there is a capacitor near the rear of the engine, unbolt it, flip it over, bolt it back in. There is plenty of cable slack and room. This will move it away from the engine and will keep it cooler for less possible head aches down the road.

Steering dampers are a great idea. The GPR V4 is a newer design, fits the 449/511's and gives basic torsion back and forth. If you happen to be out at the races and need repair, GPR usually just hands you a new one. Motorsportz/Kelly's damper is better and imho is the best for most riders, as it torsions heavy away from center, but tapers off as you move back to center. Kelly backs his product 100% and there will never be any issue with his service. The Scotts/Ohlins damper is an old design, expensive, it has high speed and low speed adjustments and can be a pia to set up for the average rider. The Scotts damper torsions away from center, but is free flowing back to center and is preferred by many racers, especially desert racers where high speed corrections are needed.
  14. SloChicken Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    thanks! Really appreciate all the help!
    Damper is on the short list.how do you feel about the stock skid plate? Seems sturdy enough for gub'ment use, and probably lighter than the aftermarket ones. Cheaper too!
    Not that I am trying to be cheap, but I think a good suspension rework and the steering damper will give me more gains for now.
    Thanks!
    Keep the suggestions coming!

One question about the dampers. do any of them actually raise the bar height as a matter of how they are mounted? I am looking to get about 1" or so of bar height increase and this would be a nice way to go about it. Two birds, one stone and all ...
  15. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    I beat up the stock skid plate riding in the Rockies and it held up OK.
    Better than I expected.
    Eventually I did put on the aluminum one that Motosportz sells; it does give quite a bit better coverage.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/449-511-skid-plates.27316/
    Heavier of course, but I didn't weigh it.

Motosportz underbar damper adds some bar height but not an inch. about 5/8" if I recall correctly.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Correct.
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good stuff BUT, I like Scotts a TON more than GPR. I like how they work better and GPR has done some business practices many of us did not care for. I will not go into it but will never recommend one. Lots more to this but I will not get into it. Lets just say I think ours is very good and I send Scotts all the customers I can't cover applications for. Get whatever you like obviously these are just my feelings.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I can't comment on the drama that GPR has gotten into. As far as the mechanical device goes, I have ridden with the GPR's and they work. Their high speed setting is preset. If I had to choose between GPR and nothing, I would run GPR. No idea who makes the Husky damper, but I hear it has a high failure rate, shrug. I like ol'golden bulky (Scotts).
  19. TE511NATOR Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husky TE511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dyna Wide Glide 90th Anniversary
    I support Kelly. They work perfectly and adjust on the fly. When your doing 60 through rock trails, I seriously doubt your wondering about your high speed setting. Use this one and you won't have to! Besides it looks stock! Really want some Gold thing on HI Ho Black Red and Silver? TE 511 006.jpg
    Tinken likes this.
  20. fasteer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 701 Enduro
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco SEF300 (for sale)
    Several of my buddies have asked if my Husky came stock with the dampner.
    It's Motosportz, naturally.
    TE511NATOR likes this.