New Husky Owner...2008 610te Restoration!!!

Discussion in '610/630' started by bunyips, Sep 13, 2021.

1. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Hello people... New on here. CH keeps coming up when searching for information on my new purchase so i know I am in the right place. My last bike was a BMW R1150GS which i sold recently for a very cheap price to a happy camper. Yesterday I finally purchased the TE 610 for $3100 Australian dollars. Bike has 9500 km. Original owner did most of those km bought from new in 2008. Guy I bought it off is a friend of the original owner. I have a budget for a registered motorcycle and have some $$$ to spend on this bike to get it back into as good condition as possible without going stupid. I believe that it is in pretty good condition but have found upon a closer inspection that there is many zipties holding the [COLOR=rgb( var(--theme-link) )]plastics together. Some wiring modifications for indicators etc. [/COLOR]
    I have the bike in my lounge room on some black plastic and plan on stripping the bike down to the bare bones and cleaning and fixing as many of the little problems as possible before I reregister it and take it out riding. My plans for this particular bike is 50/50 road trail. I will be riding it to work about 20km return journey on nice days. And possibly trailering it further afield for some of the amazing rides in the countryside of the place that I live.
    I will be photographing the entire process of stripping down, cleaning and fixing and hope that some people on this forum will be able to help me with any modifications, fixes that need to be done. Am in no mad rush as I would like to do it correctly and enjoy the journey. Am just over 50 years old now and look forward to a long relationship with the bike. Will be searching through the forums for information on this model and what others have done. Feel free to post comments and links. Will try to keep updating regularly. Right now I honestly do not know what I am going to find. The motor and gearbox worked well on the test ride. Horrid clicking sound from the new chain and sprockets. Mild tapping sounds coming from the motor (possibly husqvarna type sounds) ... Wiring is all intact. Just needs a clean up...heat shrink? Anyway will post more photos in the coming days as i pull it to pieces. Everything will be bagged, tagged and photographed as I do it. Not a great mechanic but have tools, patience and the want to learn new things.
    Cheers,
    Todd

Attached Files:

2. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Right. This is where i am at. I have stripped the bike. All looks pretty clean. The fuel in the tank was rancid. Amazed it ran at all. Cleaned the petcock filters and decided to have a look in the tank itself! One of the bolts holding the fuel pump base is threaded and will not come out. Upon replacing all the other bolts I found that one was turning the actual hole that is in the base of the tank. Will no longer loosen or tighten. The good news is after reading forums is that it already has the aluminium billet elbows installed. One was actually not sealing correctly and fuel was leaking out. After looking for aftermarket or OEM plastics and new tank I have decided upon getting a 25l Safari tank. I live in Australia so will not be too much for delivery. Cuts out the strangely useless front fairing plastics and will give me a better range as well. Bam... Half my budget blown. Does any one know of a fuel pump that will fit in the assembly without spending too much on OEM stuff? May as well change that out whilst I am at it. Also where can I find all the bolts I will need to replace on the tank pump and any others i may need.
    Needs new tyres. Am after something that can handle 50/50 dirt and road. Will not be racing the thing on the road. As long as it does not try to kill me on the road. Preferably a longer lasting tyre. Not going stadium cross ;) ... Any opinion appreciated!
    One of the things i do know about the bike was that it had a 1500km service from a dealer and then just oil, filters etc changed by the owner after that.It now has 9505 km on it. Would it be for the best to take it to a shop and get a 10000km service whilst getting tyres and Road worthy certificate. All added expenses I know. I is it a relatively simple service?
    It still has the original cam chain in it as well. What aftermarket cam chain is the best to buy for this ageing beast? Is this a job that a sort of handy person with the tools should tackle?
    That headlight!!! One zip tie and one original rubber holding it on!!! Best way to attach it securely or replace with a relatively cheap aftermarket?
    Just in case anyone reads this and wants to help a guy out. Any help greatly appreciated. Will keep reading through forums about what I may be able to get to help with my project.

Attached Files:

3. davethegoat Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 610
    Congrats on your purchase. They seem to be good bikes capable of many miles. Some things to check that you will see often in forums is to check your throttle body to engine boot for cracking. Check your chain guide they wear through. Find out if the clutch has had the updated washers installed. Check all coolant hoses for rubbing damage.
  4. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Hi Dave,
    T
    Thanks for the reply!! Checked the throttle body to engine boot and Yes it is cracking. Will try to source one. I wrote to a fellow on this forum regarding a bulk buy he did years ago for the updated washers. he does not have any left. Will try to find the thread with the specs for them. Coolant hoses seem fine. As is the chain guard. Just the type of info I needed to hear . Appreciated. Todd
  5. davethegoat Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 610
    Yeah mine was cracking too. I was lucky to score a new old stock one from ebay and put that one on. The one I took off , wasn't cracked all the way through and could probably be preserved by smearing rtv around it. For the clutch washers, you can try Bertie bertie@rietveldknives.com
  6. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Yeah mate I contacted Bertie. He has sold all the washers he had. Am currently searching for an alternative but am unlikely to find anything without people doing another bulk order. Unless someone else pipes up and comes to the rescue. Will be checking for the metal regularly and hope for the best. Cheers !
  7. davethegoat Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 610
    Mine were shot and the bike had only 3500 miles on it. If you can find the post on the dimensions of the washers, you may be able to have a local fabrication shop/machine shop make you some. I remember seeing it posted I just can't remember if it was here or on advrider. Bertie may be able to provide you with the dimensions as well. He was very nice to deal with. I would ask him. Get the specs and the proper steel and process to harden them. As for the rivets, I was able to by new from husqvarna still. So that would save you from needing to have those made as well.
  8. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

[IMG]

From MJSKIER cir. 2015
  9. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Have read through a few other threads on the subject and may actually start a new thread regarding a New bulk buy if people are interested. not sure how many active 610/630 owners would want another set or need there first ones. Will post thread if all other options are exhausted. Will be contacting Bertie to find out who he got to do the job here in Australia (am Australian) and get it done. Would like to get quite a bit of Kms out of this bike so would like to get it done properly from the beginning
  10. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Hello People... I recently started a thread on my project 2008 te 610 ... It seems I need to get a hold of a set of these washers. I have also contacted Bertie and he is not making any more and has none. So I guess I will put it out there that if enough people are interested in doing a bulk order I will set it into motion. Surely there are enough of us that would want this essential mod and or spares for later down the track. Will post on my thread as well and hopefully hear from people in the near future regarding the logistics of this endeavour!!! Cheers, Todd
  11. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Also check with a CH member Stujam (also Australian) who made some in 2015 or 16 (I bought 2 sets). I know Australia is a small country and he might be local to you and able to provide some intel on companies he used.
  12. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Thanks for tha
    Thanks for that Kirky!! Just contacted him. hasn't been on the forum for a few years but any help is appreciated. Cheers
  13. somesuch Husqvarna
    AA Class

I certainly would be interested in at least two sets of the washers
  14. Bazzzza Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke2
    Hey mate I am also in Oz in Vic and just got a TE630 too they are great bikes I think and have been looking where to get parts best option at the moment is SWM powerhousemotorcycles.com.au for any parts you just have to look at diagrams on other sites and find part numbers then put into their system they have some in stock and can order in nearly any other from old husky factory, much cheaper too. If you or any one else needs plastics they are rare as rocking horse s#1t as but I found some on bike bandit. Hoping to get mine fixed up for summer and get out in the bush trails. I'm also interested in a set of these washers would be good to have when the time comes, my bike has 36,000 km on it and still goes and sounds strong, has Barret pipes and most mods look done but have to look and see if I need them washers and new springs.
  15. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Hey Baz..
  16. Sykes Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2019 Honda Africa Twin
    Hi bunyips.. I'd be up for a couple of sets of upgraded washers for my te 630 too if you an find the info....
  17. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Been a while. Update on my dodgy TE 610 resto!!
    So I ordered and had new tires fitted. Front Dunlop 605, Rear Mitas E 07. I also put new bearings in while I was at it. That was fun in itself. Had to angle grind myself up a new tool from a car part to use as a jig for my hammer to get the rear bearings in. The front took a 32mm socket perfectly.
    New Chain and Sprockets. DID X chain. 47 tooth rear and a 44 tooth front. Both are steel.
    Probably a good 10 hours of cleaning everything I could get to without dismantling everything off the bike. I now have a much better understanding of what is on this thing. Found some professionally finished parts of the wiring harness and I assume it is from the shop it was bought from by the original owner. He spent $14000 Aus back in the day so would this mean he got the power up upgrade with the Barrett Exhaust?
    New Throttle Cables as I found the return cable had snapped and only found this out after I removed the Throttle Body to give it a bit of a clean up and to access the rubber boot to fix with Permatex!
    The only real problem I have encountered is with the tank. When I took it to pieces to have a look at the condition of the fuel system I found that the Fuel itself was rancid. Worst I have ever seen. There was no inline fuel filter going from the pump to the outlet to Fuel Injection system. Just a dirty old filter at the base of the Fuel pump itself. Also I found that there was no Fuel Pressure Regulator.I have asked this question on a few fb sites regarding whether or not this model actually had a regulator. The space for the regulator is on the inlet which I assume is the fuel return from the fuel injection unit.??? Tank was filthy, the pump, low fuel sensor and the whole unit was pretty average. Will post photos at the end of this rant. So I bought a new filter kit from Kemso. Came with a bunch of different filters, hoses and clamps and wiring. Fits perfectly! Luckily the original owner had the billet alloy fuel elbows installed. Another win. One is fixed in the hole using a small grub screw in a hole drilled into the side of the opening to the base plate. The intake was simply pushed in using two very perished o-rings which have been replaced. Am thinking of simply using Gasket maker to help seal it and hold it in the base plate without drilling and grub screwing. Any ideas? Assuming anyone is reading this ... lol ... Sooo I purchased a Safari Tank as I was finding it very difficult to come across any sites that actually had what they were saying they had. ie.. OEM fuel tank as the brass inserts that the base plate attaches to I found three of the insert were spinning in there XLPE plastic holes of the tank. Lots of fuel has leaked from this part of the bike over the years. You can see it all over the motor on the that side. Hence I was looking for a new or secondhand tank to buy. Got the Safari tank and had to wait for a bunch of parts so did not play around with it until last saturday when ready to put the whole fuel system back together and start the bastard up!! The safari tank was much tighter around the fuel pump etc so the standard fuel filter I had in line was pushing hard against the fuel pump. So the base plate did not want to sit flush on the fastening area. Uses an O-ring basically to seal the tank up with the pump assembly. No problems. Just go find a smaller filter. I live in the bush so have long periods of waiting for shit in the post!!! No rush for this project though. Thought I will just get everything ready to go on now the rest of the bike has all the bits I needed for it to get registered again. So I tried putting the bolts for the safari tanks brass inserts. Two of them were crossthreaded before I even tried to put any pressure on them. Spoke the good people at Safari Tanks and he told me that it was in fact the last 2008/9 TE 610 Safari tank they have. All the moulds used now are for the 630 ie.. SWM ... So I guess I could go to a machine shop and get them to recut the thread for me. Would not trust myself to do it. Being the last big tank in the world and all. So after chatting on the phone it was decided I could get a full refund for the tank. And in the meantime I could look for another tank second hand ect. If i send the tank back it will be destroyed!! :( ... SO today I got some Loctite super glue that apparently will stick to XLPE fuel tank and glued the two original brass inserts back into the tank and pressed with a g clamp and socket on the in tank side pressing against the knob of plastic on the inside of the tank mounting lip for the base plate. Worked a treat. Will see how strong it is but it seems to be 100% better than it was. Petcock filters and petcocks are in good nick. Everything cleaned up now. Will let the tank dry properly in the sunshine tomorrow and reassemble the whole show. Put some fuel in the system and fire it up!!! If the tank doesn't leak and seems solid i will sadly send the big tank back and use the dollars for other parts of the bike.
    Will update this again when I have put the fuel together again... 6 weeks later than I thought but all good. Been plenty busy with work and other things that interest me.
    Haven't even thought about the Cup Washers for the clutch basket until I get the bike running and can go for a ride and then hit all the mechanicals like the washers, valve clearances. Need to ride it to a buddies place to use some of his tools for that job. Need to buy a rattle gun!! :) And I don't think my feeler gauges are aircraft tool quality !! Appreciate any ideas or criticisms Cheers People :)
    Todd

Attached Files:

Bazzzza likes this.
  18. bunyips Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE 610 IE
    Few more photos! Last photo is the Fuel Pressure Regulator that I bought from a good site where it was advertised for a TE 610 2008!! I cannot find anything about the 2008 actually having this device in the fuel pump assembly. Hoping someone can enlighten me on the use of these with this fuel injected model!! Cheers

Attached Files:

19. Bazzzza Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    duke2
    Hey Bunyips looking good mate Bike Bandit is a bit back ordered up so had to look for other sites for parts. I think you may like to know these as well.
    https://emphu.eu/676-husqvarna-te-sm-610?id_category=676&n=175
    https://shop.italhusky.com/en/products/2008/sm-te-610-1/fuel-tank-body-73
    https://evolutionbike.it/swmstore/oem-parts/superdual.html
    https://www.firstclassmotorcycles.c.../husqvarna-husaberg/2008/te-sm-ie-610#content
    https://www.bike-parts-husqvarna.com & https://www.motocrosscenter.com/shop/en/24728-08#
    Not sure but don't see that fuel reg in the parts list for your bike mate hope those site help you find what you need.
  20. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I have an '07 610. Also looking for tires. Why did you choose those particular tires? Looked both up and they seem good choices. Wondering why you mixed brands. Incidentally, my bike has 20,000+ miles on it, runs great. Nice thread!