1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

New forum member TE449 newbie

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by NC Rick, Aug 2, 2015.

1. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Dr 650, KLX, Ducati track bikes
    Hi folks,

I am new to this forum and recently purchased a new to me 2011 TE449 with 1100 miles on it. I own a motorcycle suspension business and had lowered this bike for a friend when the bike was new. It was pretty well "slammed " ,lowered by close to 3". First order of business was to return some ride height and clearance but I decided to make it a bit lower than stock for the kind of riding I do. I lowered the rear by about an inch or so and the front just a little less than that. Other changes/ work was to install a tubliss system in the rear along with an mt43 trials type tire and a Pirelli mh knobby in front. Changed the oil and filter, cleaned screens and filled with Motul 5w40 synthesis ( before reading all the M1 recommendations on here). I removed the turn signals.

I really like the bike and this forum has been very helpful. Thank you all for your efforts!

I will have a bunch more questions as time goes by but for now, I really want to modify this bike to best be able to carry my old, fragile, out of shape, butt through the woods as safely as possible. Power shouldn't be an issue but the power wheelies are rather addictive! I have stock everything but with the power-up jumper installed and "race map II" on the display. The bike runs pretty good but will do the flame out occasionally, off idle. I really want that crap gone, it could easy land me in the hospital. I counted my T body bypass screw setting and it was 2.5 from full closed. Why leave it alone, right? I tried an extra quarter turn in and the bike literally spit my into the bushes in my yard! Went with just a bit less than the 2.5 and a short put around the house made it feel ok. In the 200 miles I have ridden it, I felt the dead throttle thing about 3-4 times, also undesired.

If I understand correctly, there is no possibility of having the map3 installed in my 2011?

I like the quiet of the stock pipe but it gets dangerously hot! Will an FMF power core be cooler running? I like the idea of shedding additional weight from the bike, that way I can pick it up better!

I do not like the idea of add on electronics, basically I want to take stuff off this bike, not add to it. If the PC5 is my answer, I will do it though. As power as is is adequate, is an add on EFI tuner kind of a must on the 2011?

Removing the FBW throttle plate is readily doable but it sounds like that is the wrong thing to do without at least map shifting. I really want a turn key upgrade and while I have some experience with tpi setting on my Ducati, I would be more inclined to put in a PC5 with a proven map with an exhaust as needed/ recommended.

Sorry my questions are not so concise, I will appreciate any thoughts and recommendations for my circumstances. I read posts for two weeks before asking ;-)

Thanks in advance for your insights.
  2. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Welcome. I rode mine for about 1100 miles basically stock and it ran OK. I added a little idle speed and it helped. Picked up a JD and fiddled with that and it helped a little more. Added a Akro slip on (stock TXC can) and it dropped pounds without being too loud to pass sound tests. I resisted doing much more because it was good enough. Since my ECU is locked, there wasn't much else.

Then I tried a factory ECU provided by Tinken at a local hare scramble and realized what it really should run like. Nut necessarily just top speed, but overall smoother, better power from idle on up.

So I finally bit the bullet and got a PCV. I have a wild map and a more mellow map loaded and really like it.
  3. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you Huskynoobee! That is just the sort of input I am hoping to hear. Did the pipe you got feel like it ran cooler? I know that the cats need to run hot. That borrowed ECU, is there a way to purchase one of those? I like that idea.
  4. tonskiguy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    1986 Yam XT350
    De-catting the stock muffler is a reasonable option, will remove a pound or so, and should run cooler.
  5. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Yes it runs noticeably cooler. I resisted cutting apart the stock can because living in California, there's always a possibility of future smog regs. I just saw the same slip on I have the other day on EBay for like $100-$150.

The ECU, well that was a special one time deal. To be honest, the PCV is a step up anyway. Plus that other one I tried didn't allow the lights to work. Fun for race, but not ideal for a permanent install.

I also still have the secondary butterfly. I've been tempted to remove it, plus have the option of installing a TC throttle body, but I've been pretty lucky with mine. But the more advanced maps for the PCV are designed to run without it, even though I still do.

I resisted for a long time, but for guys like us with our locked ECU, it really is the only way to realize the true potential of this motor.
  6. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the input guys! I think I will get out on a few more rides before doing anything. I am only partly satisfied with the trials tire, the bike lost a lot of the stable slideways feeling in travel to me. I hate it on pavement and know how to improve it ( by taking away some of the dirt worthiness) but won't do that, I have my DR650 for that stuff. I am thinking of leaving the stock exhaust alone so I could just bolt it back on if I want it quiet again and I have limited time to work on this thing. A friend put me on a couple modern dirt bikes ( all husky's except for a 250 2 smoke MX bike) and it really gave me an itch. There was a 450 ex race bike that I almost purchased but it was not street legal and this TE was a great buy for me.
    Even lowered a little, this bike is tall for my 33" inseam, close to 60 yo diminished skill set ability for the truly tight stuff. In a little more open terrain, it is likely perfect as is. More power, better running isn't needed but would be oh so fun ;-)

The previous owner geared this bike down by one tooth on the cs sprocket and on anything but tight woods, I feel like the stock gearing could be better as each gear would stick around longer for the motor to torque through ( opinions?).

After a few rides, I may just pop for the FMF pipe, just to see what happens when that particular slippery slope;-)
  7. Robster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 -11
    I have a euro Akra muffler in great shape if you are interested. Very light (Ti) and helps a lot to open up for more power. With insert it is still pretty quiet also. pm if interested.
  8. Andle Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 cb175, 1995 z50
    I just purchased a new to me 2013 te449. I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine. Qwerky fun bikes!
  9. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi, I am interested. Not sure of shipping but have shipped your direction with out problems. What condition and price? Sorry I was so slow to respond, I'm new to the site and learning to use it. The posting delay is difficult.
  10. Robster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 -11

Send me an email to rliljekvist@telia.com and tell me where you live and I will send you pictures and a suggested price incl shipping. Great condition and just need a bit of cleaning to look almost brand new.
  11. NC Rick Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Done! Thanks!
    Robster likes this.
  12. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2011-te449-running-well-with-factory-efi-system-finally.41069/

Removing the second butterfly is the first step in curing a 2011 bike.
    If you have dead throttle, an interceptor fuel unit won't stop them and you may still have flameouts also as they do not control the second butterfly.
    I would remove the butterfly and see how it goes.
    Of it requires more fuel at that point you can make the decision to either reset the TPS idle voltage up correctly (factory setting os 0.7v, most are set lower) or mask it with a tuner box.
    Raising the idle a little will assist with stalls also.
    The 2011s can have issues with not returning to idle correctly and that can be corrected by removing the idle stud from the primary throttle arm.
    Idle speed is then totally off the brass screw.
    I now have 200hrs on my engine and performed these mods at something like 80hrs from memory.
    Still going strong.
    Robster likes this.
  13. Robster Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449 -11
    Agree with Dangermouse449. Makes a world of difference when removing second butterfly.