1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New auto clutch Springs?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ktmal, Nov 23, 2016.

1. ktmal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 390 auto, 84wr250, 82 250ae
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 150xc/200, ktm 300xcw, rokon rt
    I have read a few post of people having new 1st gear clutch springs made for the 360/390's anyone know of any one having any for sale? Getting stocked up for what I hope to see, a vintage enduro series with ahmra
  2. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    You might contact Dave Pratt. He has Auto springs (and sells Husky Auto parts) and has a source making springs.
    He's very knowledgable on Autos and good to work with. Dpratt@tritrophy.com
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I think this guy visiteur1948 He seems rather active on here. I have thought about getting some it seemed from his postings he had some made. I would rather get some new ones as opposed to old stock, just my personal feeling. He is in France.

Nothing against That tri trophy guy, I have got a few little pieces from him off ebay. Not sure how he is pricing his stuff lately.

If you want an opinion about using one of these bikes for a whole series just ask.
  4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
  5. ktmal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

Well so far there has only been one event but what do you think about them as far as reliability? I have been riding them a good bit so far no problems ,I do have some springs and have replaced all of the freewheel bearings
  6. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Here's touching wood .... I have not broken any springs yet ! I do change my oil after every ride. When I do, I tend to pull the mainshaft for a check and re-cut the oil grooves in the shoes. I also do the same with 1st gear. I did a 2 day enduro a month or two back. I changed the gearbox oil at the end of the first day. They are a maintenance headache but so worth it.
    If you are running one day events I reckon it will be 100% if you keep on top of it all.
    Lets have some pictures and video.
    everfree and oldbikedude like this.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I entered events with the 430 mostly because the type of event I like needs registration. Those the first gear clutch is more problematic about breaking springs and wearing out the shoes/drum. Maybe 3 or 4 c class shortened entries on a kit. The 420 did not have those problems but I never got it registered so It's use was generally different. The starting system was and will be if I ever put another front end on it somewhat vague. The taper on the drive can go bad on me and on some stuff I have come across. Make sure to re torque. I believe it is in some manual, perhaps after 5 minutes, then after 2 hours or something like that.

It is not the reliability mainly it is the amount of crashes I had on the automatic bikes. Generally I tip over and do not crash. The go and coast gets into the mind. My Passengers in the pick up truck became uncomfortable riding with me. I suggest they are for snow conditions like an automatic snowmobile. They do push over rock walls and the like much better than a normal bike. You won't get trophies that way though.

I notice you are a contributing member and have the same birth year as myself. If you do enter enough to burn up the first gear bob weights send me a note. I have some of them, the knife/fork is backwards from the 420 kind of surplus.
  8. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

9. ktmal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

I will post picture and video for sure ,I really enjoy riding these bikes they just make you smile . Fran thanks for the offer I hope I don't need them but its the only thing I have no spares of. I race ama enduro regularly and even take a trophy once in a while lol.
    Other than the brakes on the autos being not so good compared to my race bike I find the auto very capable bikes , been playing with the suspension and have them more than usable. I just hope ahrma gets a good series going ,we are planning at least one here in Michigan at the event our club puts on.