1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

New And Just Bought An Ae420: Some Questions.

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Marc B., Oct 4, 2020.

1. Marc B. Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    AE 420
    Other Motorcycles:
    DT400, H2 Mach IV, XT 350
    Hello fellow Husqvarna riders, I‘m new to the vintage Husqvarnas and also new to this forum. I‘ve recently bought an AE420 and I have some ‚rookie’ questions:

1. Which of the automatics models use the same parts? Would be good to know if I need any spare parts.

2. And since I come from Germany are there any dealers/shops you can recommend that are not overseas?

3. Are there any advices or recommendations for riding an automatic?

Sorry for that storm of questions.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Greetings
    Marc
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    1. The 420 gearbox is different in quite a few places from all the other autos except the 258 army bike,

2. Jef Bens in Belgium will have anything you ever need.

3 Autos are best when ridden flat out, slow riding has the clutches slipping which produces a lot of heat and wear.

4. Change the oil after every event or decent trail ride say 3 to 6 hours.

5, In mine and quite a few other peoples opinion you have the best Auto

6. There are lots of threads on here about riding and looking after Autos, many of which cover the oil to use!! An afternoons browse through this forum will give you a good insight to owning an Auto

Good Luck

Steve
    Marc B. likes this.
  3. Marc B. Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    AE 420
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hey Steve, thanks for your replies. :-)
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    You don't have to change the trans oil after every ride! I change mine after every 3 full tanks of gas is used. I have tried many different types of trans oil and the best I have found is Maxima HEAVY shock fluid. I have been riding the autos for the last twenty years.

On the 420, the shop manual says to torque the shaft nut on the 1st gear clutch (nut on the end of the crank) to 65 ft/lbs. I torque mine to 80-85 ft/lbs. I have never had a clutch hub work loose after I started using 80/85 ft/lbs torque. If you remove the clutch hub, torque it down then ride the bike for ten minute or so then check the torque again. Buy or make a clutch spring retainer plate to install on the first gear clutch to keep the clutch shoe spring in place just incase the spring breaks.

Marty
    Marc B. and fran...k. like this.
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The earlier ones have a different engagement mechanism and needle and thrust bearings. The 420 and later seem to have the same engagement mechanism and ball bearings. The 430 and 500 are only 3 speed and have a different starting mechanism. I don't know about the stuff in the big drum thing or the shaft with the freewheels on the 360 and 390 that might be same as 420 really just study the parts sheets.

Auto think snowmobile winter use.

More dangerous than a standard shift as one can store energy in a spinning rear tire more than used to.

The taper on the crank drive is a problem and can be found kind of spot welded to the crank stub. It is a rather thin nut for the called for torque.

It is probably best to spin the tire instead of let the clutches slip. It does not free wheel in high gear.

Fran
    Marc B. likes this.
  6. Marc B. Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    AE 420
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for your advices!

Greetings
    Marc
  7. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class