1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC New 2017 FE501 time for modifications!

Discussion in '4st' started by RideLI631, Oct 28, 2017.

1. RideLI631 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501, 09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard, Honda Shadow ,DR650
    Soo I've been an italian te510 husky owner for about 10 years now and a member on this forum for quite a while now. As much as I love the TE it was time for an upgrade! (Not selling the TE) But I picked up a new leftover 2017 FE501 on friday! Before I even take the thing out, there are some obvious loose ends that need to be tied before I feel comfortable ripping her in the woods. Obvious things will be skid plates, hand guards, new tires/balance the wheels, swing arm guards, get rid of the hideous license plate holder in the rear and stock blinkers in the front, install a scotts steering stabilizer +new bars and grips.

Some things I am a little curious about though is how to get more power out of her and what is the best way to do it. Going to open up the intake by removing the reed valve and get a new exhaust. From what I've read so far the two best options for getting more fuel delivered is either the Vortex ECU or a Power Commander. Considering the Power commander is a decent amount cheaper than the Vortex does anyone know the pros and Cons of having either or. Also going to remove all the emissions BS and send the suspension out to be sprung and valved for my style and weight.

Any other recommendations for good additions would be much appreciated! Also if anyone has some of the parts I talked about above and have a prefered brand of specific part please do tell!

Here's a pic of the night I got it. I will post updated shots as the parts start to arrive and I have time to instal them!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Attached Files:

2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    First off congratulations on the new sweet ride!
    Yes, uncork the bike on the intake and exhaust including the ecu programming. This engine is plenty spunky especially when you gear them right. I like 14 50 and swap to a 13 for tighter single track.
    RideLI631 likes this.
  3. usedtobefast Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'd suggest looking at what JD has ... https://www.jdjetting.com/xcart5/ He is a big contributor over on KTMtalk.

To me, it seems the Power Commander market is really street bikes. Vortex seems like an awesome solution, replace the entire ECU. And they modify the ignition as well as fueling (JD only mods fueling).

But for me, money and benefits, the JD Tuner seems to hit a very nice sweet spot. Plus, you can call the guy up on the phone and talk to him (if you have questions like "why don't you modify the ignition timing?").
    RideLI631 likes this.
  4. usedtobefast Husqvarna
    AA Class

Also, if you are watching $$$, many KTM guys are modifying the stock silencer (punching/drilling out the most restrictive baffle plate) and dyno wise there is hardly any difference between that modified silencer vs. a $450 FMF silencer.

So low cost, bang for your buck, remove the reeds in the intake track, mod the stock silencer, add on a JD tuner.
    Huskynoobee, RideLI631 and reveille like this.
  5. my_urban_chaos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwak Z1000
    What reed valve in the intake? Can you post photos?