New 2012 Husqvarna Te650 Soon!

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Mootak, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Mootak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Word is - new 2012 650 based on TE / SM 630 platform with BMW single cyl. motor at a really great MSRP.
    This should give BMW/Husqvarna a piece of the KLR 650 (and 650cc bikes in that price point) market.

:thumbsup:

Later,
    Jeff Tasky
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Oh boy... the rumor mills will be full tilt on this one... I am sure there will be much speculation as to the details.
  3. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    Sigh... I heard this rumor a week or two ago. So much for the legendary TE610/630. I'm not wild about this news at all...
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I'd be on that like flies on $h!t! The BMW 650 motor is bulletproof and sweet... not to mention REAL EFI. I'd sell my Kawi ER6n 650 in a skinny minute to jump on this... <praying to the Husky Gods for this to be true>.:applause:
  5. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think the 900cc Nuda will tell us if BMusky can massage some greatness out of their old man bikes...
    If they can do that with the 800 to 900cc, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do something good with the G650GS platform

:thinking:
  6. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The nuda 900 is using the 800 twin engine, which is not an old man bike (ie: boxer).

The G650 is kinda heavy, which is my main concern. It is a rugged engine and service intervals would jump to 6000 miles. If they can find a way to keep the weight below 340 wet...
  7. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I'm glad I got my 630 when I did. I just hope parts stay available for a while.
  8. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

When they made the 610, all they needed to do was modernize & lighten it a bit, as that's what everyone was asking for. Instead, they came out with the 630 - which had a modernized engine, but gained a whole bunch of un-necessary weight and had take it or leave it styling. Result? they didn't sell well at all and got discontinued & they had to fire-sale the remaining ones.(who didn't see that coming?) Now they are planning on going even bigger and (likely)heavier? Didn't work for KTM or BMW & the only reason it works for the KLR is cause you can pick them up so cheap. There is no way they'll be able to compete with the KLR or DR 650 on price.
    Seriously, BMW/Husky - take the 2008 TE 610 package, put the BMW 650 engine in it, give it 50-60hp with a nice wide ratio 6 speed, good modern adjustable off-road suspension and make it weigh something like 260 ish dry. Basically a fast desert racer with a plate & lights & a reliable motor that will last for 40-50,000miles+. Done properly, it's the versatile bike that everyone is always asking for. Race it one day, go on a 2 week adventure ride the next, ride it to work every day when you get home from your trip. Price it around $8-$9000 and watch them sell like hotcakes.
    XR650R fans were asking Honda the same thing for years & Honda ignored them- result? sales dropped off & Honda discontinued the big red XR. Too bad, because the concept was and still is very popular.
    nickterc likes this.
  9. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Fire sale due to discontinuing the model? So far, those are just rumors. I'll believe it when it happens.
  10. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

where is rumor control when you need it?
    Coffee likes this.
  11. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's already happened. They cleaned them out of the warehouse already, at least here in Canada. I can't say for absolute certain that they won't make them anymore, but up here the ones that were sold were said to be the last ones.
    I haven't seen too many times when bikes fire sale'd half way thru the model year.
    Probably why rumours of this new 650 are starting to leak now.
  12. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Then you need to get a complete inventory of every Husqvarna model made in the North American warehouse to draw that conclusion. Do you know if the remaining inventory levels of the other models in the warehouse are any different than the 630's?
  13. Ex HVUK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    The 630s sell far better here in the UK than the 610s ever did. Yes we have promotions on them now but the economic climate is far different to 2006...

Dave
  14. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

What does the inventory of all the other models have to do with the 630?

If a Husky dealer starts a thread with some details about a new 650, that he's likely got some insight on, and if the TE 630 has been rumoured to be discontinued as of this year (I didn't start the rumour BTW, but it's been going around awhile) and if they started clearing stock on the 2011's in early July, it's not a big leap to conclude something might be up(see OP), as in a new model like the (possible) new 650.
    IIRC they announced the 630 around the same time of the year when it first came out........
  15. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

I can tell you for a fact that the TE/SM630 is not in the 2012 lineup. That doesnt mean that they arent a good bike.

I heard about the 650 a while ago. Sounds like we wont see it til spring 2012 at the earliest.
    raisrx251 likes this.
  16. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    :eek: Put down the crack pipe, dude. I don't see a TE650 every weighing LESS than the older TE610s which were 308lbs dry.

But, if they could match that, I'd be happy. Less maintenance, more power, still lighter than a DR650. Hell yeah! And the Husky frame/suspension will kick the snot out of the frame suspension on the old G650GS. Although it probably won't be able to take on full panniers and get loaded up for bear and a multi thousand mile ride. BMW has that market. I think they'll want the Husky to stay more towards a dirt bikey dual sport than to make the TE650 into a lightweight adventure bike.
  17. Slowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dude relax-

It's not a real stretch to make a 650 around 260 or 270 dry or so. The 511 is about 250ish, add a few pounds for a bigger cylinder etc. and a couple other things & you're right there. The Honda XR650R's were something like 270 or so dry & everyone knew they could stand to lose a few pounds. The old 610s were overweight and there were lots of places they could be trimmed down & modernized. They were a great package otherwise.

In reality, they'll probably make it 340-350ish or something.
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    OTOH if the bike is based on the 650 GS then it may be more of an Adventure touring rig in the KLR/GS market...and designed to handle full bags etc for long distance travel ... and that aint gonna weigh under 300lbs...

All idle speculation until we see some actual evidence....
  19. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Mikuni? Kyb? Sachs?

(you rumor mill people are disappointing :p)
    HVUK likes this.
  20. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Ohlins suspension? FI (certainly)... will it look like a baby Nuda? or a red and white GS? Or how about the 650 twin that is really a depowered 800?

My vote is for a G650GS single with Husky bodywork and the option to mount hard bags............. and tap into the BMW aftermarket.