New 2008 TE610 - Any Issues?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Grump, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and have purchased a new 2008 TE610 but its not here yet (being shipped). Are there any "must do" mods or areas that need to be checked once I get the bike? Any problem areas? Or just the usual check the nuts and bolts and fluid levels and break it in?
    Thanks,
    Grump
  2. tlking6 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I took mine apart and checked everything and actually it was setup pretty well from the dealer. I did the usual locktite and retorque of everything. I re routed several of the wires, clutch cable, etc. added some zip ties here and there before I put the tank back on. Removed the smog canister and re routed the vent down the frame tube next to the other one. It has a check valve type gizmo on it and I just left it. Seems to work fine.
    I added a skid plate from Uptite (highly recommended) and Cryca handguards. I added a Leo Vince pipe which seem to wake it up mid to open but need to get the off idle to mid range richened up. Thats got to be done by a computer and my dealer is lagging trying to figure out how to do that.
  3. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    Power up kit, skid plate, hand guards, rad guards, just the normal stuff you would do to any dirt bike.

The only real problem I had was plastic melting on the exhaust can. The power up kit with a smaller can with no cat fixed that.:thumbsup:
  4. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the info. I found you can add a power commander and then have it set at the local dyno shop, at least from my research. I don't have the bike yet, but I can research while I am waiting.
    Grump
  5. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the info. Could you explain the "power Up Kit"? Do you have a pic of the new exhaust that you have? Where did you get it?
    Grump
  6. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
  7. Grump Husqvarna
    A Class

8. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    Check out this guy's page: http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm
    Lots of useful tips there (he no longer owns the bike though)

Some things in there that I did:
    1. move the rear brake hose as it was rubbing the swingarm
    2. remove the oily breather in the airbox
    3. check the clutch cable routing as it could cause fraying

Let's see, what else:
    1. Make sure the electrical system is charging the battery when running - if not, look for loose blue wire
    2. Be careful with the "nutserts", especially when working w/ airbox as they can spin in the plastic. Avoid threadlock on these
    3. My bike was delivered with over 30 psi in both tires
    4. Get some other tires on order as the Karoos ain't all that in the dirt IMO and the rear will be gone in 800-1000 miles, depending on street/dirt ratio.
    5. You might want to get a second TwinAir filter so you can keep one clean, oiled and ready for a quick swap
    6. If you spend more than 1 hour seated, you'll be wishing for a better seat. I chose Renazco, but there are others.
    7. Stock headlight is fairly poor for even riding on a well-lit street or mall.
    8. Change out the bolts holding the pegs to the frame with grade 10.9 (and you may need to clean up the peg mounts so they fit flush)
    9. OK, one more. How could I forget the delicate FI plumbing? I still haven't taken my tank all the way off in 3K miles
    10. Take a grinder to that nub or tit or whatever you call it on the sidestand bolt so that the sidestand auto-retract feature is disabled.

My '08 610 was my first Husky. Yeah, it has some quirks and maybe you'll have to work a little harder to track down parts, but there is good support from Uptite and MotoSportz, along with several dealers (Hall's, MotoXotica, and more) that support more than just their locals. I like mine enough that I'm actually considering buying a WR300 (Actually took delivery on that WR300 on July 16).
  9. husky666 Mini-Sponsor

When you change the pipe go with a Leo Vince or Uptite,they work best!
  10. 28marcb Husqvarna
    AA Class

610 or 650 BMW??

I'm finding that I can't get alot of testimonials for the Husky, concerning reliability of the 610. I am contemplating either the 610 or the x-challenge. Everything I've heard or read of the Bmw is very positive concerning the motor's dependability and its on road prowess. I've only been able to get that the Husky is a better bike in the dirt, but is it bulletproof like an xr or a Bmw. The fi supposedly works great, but do the valves stay in spec, or have to constantly be adjusted. I am looking for a work commuter that can be driven day in and day out without constant mainanence. What about the bottom end, is it built to go 25-50 thousand miles without having to replace mains or anything else that requires splitting the cases?? I've ruled out the Ktm because of the bikes Fi issues and lofty pricetag. Well, thanks for any input. Marc B
  11. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    Hmm, I'd take a look over here.......... ADV-Thumpers-TE610 and here TE/SM 610 index thread.

Personally every impression I've gotten is that the motor is solid. The only known issues that come to mind are the clutch cable wear which is easily fixable and the cam chain replacement interval which bothers some people and is being worked on.....
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Other than a few people having issues with stretchy cam chains and an issues with some of the 06's blowing head gaskets the 610 is reliable as a rock.
  13. Rattletrap Husqvarna
    AA Class

Checked my cam chain tensioner today, only 4 clicks out at 2000 miles.
    Taking the tank off wasn't too bad I'll be quicker next time, whats the deal with two tank vent lines? Lost a muffler spring, shot off into the wild blue yonder, oh well one's better than none. Air box give me a fit, didn't want to go back right, when I made sure the clamp was right, the bolt holes didn't want to line up.
    Bought some cool-aide and next time I tear it down I'll check the valves and replace the coolant. Valves making a little racket, sounds like a sewing machine.
    Learned alot, but the sun was so freaking hot today (97deg with 94% humidity) I had to wear gloves putting muffler back on, or picking up any metal parts, I was soaking wet long before I got through. Wish I had some shade.