Neutral light intermittent flash

Discussion in '610/630' started by motopreserve, Nov 11, 2012.

1. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Versys, Honda: CB550, CL360, HawkGT
    Hey folks. I've read several threads about the neutral light flashing, but it seems they all address a constant flashing. I'm experiencing intermittent flashing on my 2009 TE610, maybe 1 blip, then nothing for several minutes. At one point it flashed a few times, then stopped. Doesn't seem to be at regular intervals in any way.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Mine´s not all that regular either. Roughly: . - - -
  3. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I forgot to mention that the fan doesn't come on at startup. So I was thinking it wasn't the temp sensor. I found an old post about the wires at the bars possibly being loose - and just monkey's with the clutch lever sensor. That seems to be what the problem was. I will keep an eye on it. Hoping that's it though.
  4. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    OK, so I just took a ride, and it is still doing it. Seems to flash once, maybe twice, when I first put it in Neutral at a stop-light. Need help deciding whether I should try 1 of 2 options, or both. I could:

1. replace the temp sensor - although all posts I've read say the light would be acting differently if that was the issue, or
    2. remove the clutch safety switch - but I need to know how to do this. Can I just tie the 2 female spade connectors together to test it out?

Thanks
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    I'm curious as well. My 630 does this too- no pattern to the blink. Sometimes doesn't do it at all, but more often than not it does, but with no pattern whatsoever.
  6. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'd love confirmation of how to diable the clutch safety switch wires. I've seen some say its behind headlight, and others say its elsewhere. I guess I just need to follow the wires. Do I simply tie the two wires together?

If that solved it, would encourage me to grab a shorty clutch lever - since i will have already lost the safety switch, no need to worry about not having a lever that can trigger it!
  7. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    There is no constant flashing light and the type of flashing does not determine the fault code. Only way to know the reason for fault code stored in ECU (and to reset light) is to hook up to iBeat. Difference in flashing mode is only due to whether bike is in gear or in neutral. This is done to still give you an initially functioning neutral light.

Cut and paste from manual:
    Functions of the GREEN warning light “NEUTRAL” in case of FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM malfunction.
    a) With the GEARBOX NOT in NEUTRAL position: the warning light FLASHES INTERMITTENTLY.
    b) With the GEARBOX in NEUTRAL position: the warning light is initially constantly ON then it FLASHES TWICE IN RAPID SUCCESSION then returns to being constantly ON. This cycle repeats itself.
    After eliminating the malfunction,the warning light returns to its normal operation.

_
  8. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks SilverBullet. I think the manual statements are what have me thinking it may be something different. I have no intermittent flashing while the bike is in gear - only when it's in neutral. And when in Neutral, it doesn't always react as described either.

Either way, looks like I need an iBeat to really tell what's up. I was hoping for a loose wire. But iBeat would be more definitive for sure.

Appreciate the help.
  9. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    Just an FYI... as the PO of that bike, I will say that the Neutral light was flawless. It always came on, and only came on, while in Neutral. (Just letting you know that it's not a known issue on that particular bike.)
  10. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Ron. I can say for certain that it was not happening when I first got it from you. It started a bit ago, and has now remained an annoying pest :) I got the iBeat to help suss it out - but it turns out the iBeat is not really seeing things correctly (details in another thread). I'm sure I will figure it out. When I ordered something from hall's, I grabbed another temp sensor just in case. Seems like now is that time!

The Lambda sensor was installed already when you got it, correct?
  11. broadwayron Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 520RR
    I didn't touch the sensor. It's current state is how I bought it.
  12. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ron, this whole neutral light issue has had me round and round. It was definitely perfect when I got it from you, and then started up later. I replaced the sensor - which I could have sworn still had the light flash once or twice (maybe I was still being paranoid???). But for the past bunch of rides, no flashing. So I'm calling it fixed and moving on! :)
  13. jrsms630 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 796
    This happens to mine depending on the angle of the bike when it's in neutral.. I honestly think it's just the Neutral position sensor that may be loose or something... try changing the angle of the bike before you get in to neutral.. if it doesn't blink.. then there's your answer.
  14. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Why do you mean by "angle?" The angle of the bars?
  15. jrsms630 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    sms 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster 796
    No, the angle of the bike.. Like if you set your left foot down the bike might be a little inclined to the left, changing its angle in respect to the ground.. I played around with mine yesterday and when ever it is inclined to the left, the neutral light blinks.. as soon as I set it at 90° it stops... and only happens when I do it towards the left.. this is why I think the neutral light might have a postition sensor on the gear lever.
  16. motopreserve Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gotcha. That's TOO weird. I am going to be cleaning the neutral sensor, see if that helps. For several days no blinking light, then yesterday - it was back. I am getting the impression that this light doesn't like me much... but then again, the feeling is mutual! :)
  17. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S

The SMS has a tip over sensor, could it have something to do with it?

It's located under the plastic cover by the fuses.

18. nickterc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610ie
    The same blink has my Te 610 08 but its from the Neutral sensor.If you jiggle around with your foot on neutral youl see it come on and off.I dont have any other symptoms nevertheless
  19. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Hi, excellent members of the forum.
    Just want to give credit to the forum and the benefits of the search function.
    I had a flashing neutral light today, done a search which pointed me to the PU resistor in the O2 plug.
    Turned out to be a poor connection, so sorted out my connectors from the resistor to the plug and problem solved.
    Hope someone else uses search and finds this info useful.