Need help with riser on Strada, please

Discussion in 'TR650' started by infinitipearl, May 2, 2013.

1. infinitipearl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 track bike "supermono"
    Howdy y'all,

So I am 6'2" and am the proud owner of the TR650 Strada. Unfortunately, when I took the bike to the Rawhyde BMW Offroad Riding Academy recently, I quickly discovered I need quite a rise in the handlebars to make the bike fit.

I purchased a Powermadd 3" handlebar riser to get the optimum amount of rise needed to be comfortable off road standing. I bought the Strada just for the ABS on the street, but I have ended up riding 85% off road, and am farkling (verb?) accordingly. That said, I would still like to preserve the ABS functionality. Which brings me to my question.

I brought my bike to a local shop in San Diego which specializes in custom cables, as I presume I will need a longer clutch and throttle cable. They told me this would be no problem. However, upon further review, they said the limiting factor is actually the brake cable, which apparently routes from the caliper to the ABS module located "somewhere on the back end of the bike," and then routes to the brake lever. They stated that they do custom longer brake cables all the time, but don't think that they can make a longer brake cable because of the ABS system, and are unwilling to take on the task. So, my question...

Has anyone extended the brake cable on the ABS equipped Strada? Is this possible, and perhaps I should bring it to another shop? I found a longer brake cable for the ABS equipped BMW G650GS, but I am guessing that will not be compatible with this situation. Still, it gives me hope that perhaps this brake cable mod is possible, as I am under the impression the ABS modules are the same on the Husky and the G650GS.

If I'm unable to figure out a cable fix, I'm afraid they told me I am limited to about 1-1.25" of rise. I don't think that's going to be enough. I knew if I'd have any chance of figuring it out, it would be the Cafe Husky community; you guys rock.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    -Desperate in sunny socal...
  2. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey infinitipearl, sorry to hear about your issue. Before you go too crazy on cables and such have you considered a slightly lower rise? I have the Rox Risers with 2 1/4" rise and it's pretty great. It only required a re-reoute of a few cables and cutting some cable ties. I am 6' and it's perfect.

I can stand up straight and reach the bars no problem now, they are PERFECT for me. With any new bar setup it will likely feel odd for a day or two. I was convinced the rise was good but it had too much pull back the first ride. A week later it seemed natural. Just my $.02.

The other option is to just splice more cable into the ABS line. If you solder it and use shrink wrap it would likely hold up well. You can always make a check of splices part of your pre-ride ritual.

Also, on a side note, I am in the same boat as you. Bought the Strada for ABS, but ride it in gravel and dirt more than 50%. Great bike for any terrain IMHO.

All the best with the new bike! Please let us know how you decide to address this.
    Lekolite likes this.
  3. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Could investigate lowering the footpegs too.
  4. infinitipearl Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 track bike "supermono"
    Thanks for the responses guys. So when I stood up and measured how far my palms are from the handlebars, I measured about 5" short. I bought the 3" riser sort of as a compromise. I do worry 1" isn't going to be enough, and it sounds that 2" won't fit. I did just get adjustable footpegs installed, so I'll see if that helps some too. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated as well.
  5. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    Husky John likes this.
  6. socalrob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GSA
    Regarding post no. 5, I think lengthening the cable may be the better option. Always good to have several options though.
    nev.. and Boogie like this.
  7. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 Bonnie, 68 Tiger, 11 Ural........
    Head to a BMW dealer and inquire about the 650GS option. There are a lot of interchangeable parts between the 650GS and the TR650. You might find that the parts for ABS are the same.
  8. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Upon further review, tables 38 and 39 of the parts manual don't show the ABS connection or the parts. I really think you are going to have to do a side by side comparison. Or perhaps someone on here as a Strada and a 650GS with ABS?
  9. Rayzor61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Stada 650 - on its way
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Explorer Tiger 1200
    The front brake cable on the Strada goes right around the steering neck into a bracket and then goes down behind the engine compartment. It comes back out to the same bracket and routes to the front rotor. There is not 1/4/inch slack in that top line. I have to see a picture of someone who put risers in their Stada because I cant believe it can be done without tracing that first cable back into the engine area and figuring it out....
  10. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Lekolite is running the risers from Slingshot racing, seen here:
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/650-terra-farkles.28445/page-8#post-318218

I'm also pretty sure Next is running 2" Rox Risers.
  11. Trapperj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Tr 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200 GS RALLY..KLR 650..Zrx 1200
    All I did was turn my throttle tube upside down..(actually rotated 180 degrees) worked great...I have the Strada...2" riser.. All is well. Don't remember anything else being a issue. Unfortunately ...sometimes asking a shop to add a farkle they dont sell or know about is guaranteed to be a problem...sad but true.
  12. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I can get you pix with the 2" rox risers if that would help ya. I did a little cable routing, but did it all without removing and bodywork. Just twist the bars to full lock to get extra clearance and you can pull the throttle assembly out and around for more clearance.
  13. Rayzor61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Stada 650 - on its way
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nope, he has mirror risers, I'm telling ya, the cableing is stretched too much from stock form. I need to take a picture to show you.
  14. Rayzor61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Stada 650 - on its way
    Other Motorcycles:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

The cable comes from the fluid resivour into a connection bracket behind my finger. Then it comes out to the caliper. Those wires I am moving are from my GPS
    setup. Even a SS brake line extension would have to have a special adaptor to fit into this bracket.

On the top photo, you can see the ABS wire and connection block on the top front brake line. Moving that is not my problem. Look closely to see how tight the brake line is wrapped around the steering neck (leaving me zilch to work with)
  15. Rayzor61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Stada 650 - on its way
    Other Motorcycles:
    Taking out the rubber pads in my pegs helps a little but I'm still hunched over while standing at 6'2".......

I guess you cant win them all......
  16. RidingDonkeys Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    My bad. I was looking at his bars and thought he had a 1" set on there. I'm working from memory as to what the stockers look like since I'm not near my bike. Nevertheless, check the routing on that cable. I know mine has more play than that.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm not that tall, but do get leg cramps because the seat on my Terra is so close to the pegs. My plan is to get lower pegs, most probably Pivot Pegz, waiting for the time being until Pegz officially supports one of their products - or a couple of months, which ever happens first.
  18. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    FWIW I'm 6'2" 32" inseam. I've installed the 2" ROX risers-- just flipped the throttle 180 to get the necessary slack. Also, just recently got the Seat Concepts Tall seat foam + cover and with the removal of the rubber inserts on the pegs, I now have plenty of leg room and the riding position is nearly perfect.
    Dr_Rock likes this.
  19. Chopperbob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR-650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha XT660Z,Honda Africa Twin

I wanted to resurrect this thread, because looking at the photos posted, it seems the Strada's ABS lines preclude the use of any aftermarket bar risers. Is this the general consensus now? Any help would be much appreciated as I would like to add 2in. Rox risers to move the bars up and back toward the saddle a bit.
  20. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

I had seen a lot of people using the Protaper SE ATV High bend. At the bike shop, I compared the ATV Mid bend bars on a Terra they had on the floor and found them wider, and a bit taller, maybe 1/2" on each end, then the same difference in height. I installed these Saturday night on my Strada, and found I had to cut a half inch off each bar to get the MAXIMUM I could while still having full movement. And yes, I had to flip the throttle for cable routing underneath. The difference in the bars isn't that much but it makes a huge difference on that ABS module and the cable. I'm still a bit worried about it, and going to look at it some more, to try to find some way to give myself just a little slack. I may move everything in on the bars more to see if I can cut another 1/4" down on the bars from each side. I would not recommend anything beyond the stock bar bend. The ATV Low may be a match, and they still would need to be cut down.

All I was really looking for was a crossbar to mount my GPS and roll chart.
    Lekolite and Chopperbob like this.