1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Need Help Understanding Different Model Names 1975-76

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Binx, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    Gents - I've seen a variety of names used to describe bikes from 1975 - 1976. I've seen the following model names:

CR
    WR
    Cross-Country
    Moto Cross
    GP

Do I understand correctly that the CR means "Close Range" transmission and the WR means "Wide Range" transmission? And that CR is synonymous with Moto Cross? And that WR is the same as the Cross Country model?

Then what is a GP?

I'm looking at a part on ebay that says it came off a 1975 Moto Cross GP.

Am totally confused and need some help.

Thanks in advance for any clarification.
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    First off accuracy in ebay listings is the responsibility of the seller but that it is generally reliable is a stretch.

If you have a 75-76 bike I suggest you get a parts sheet with part numbers from that year. That will have which part goes on which bike. Way better than going off ebay listing. I suspect they are downloadable off the net. I have a stack of discs with them but do not need that year so can not easily bring it up from what I have on the computer here.

gp would be grand prix probably more European type of event. It is road race first at this point in time seems anyway.

Often the displacement in question needs specified as well as the year to list out the exact differences.
    CR tighter ratio longer travel no lighting coil
    cross country or xc longer travel wider ratio minimal lighting coil
    wr shorter travel wider or widest ratio most lighting coil maybe a bit more frame under the engine and at the rear for fender

Once you get to the aluminum swingarm it will have a model letter code and a word on the swingarm, like the motocross (supposed to be one word isn't it?) on the cr or cross country on the xc and enduro on the wr.

Hope this helps.
  3. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    What follows is for 75-76:

"GP" in terms of a 1975-76 Husky refers to the new lightweight "GP" frame with laydown shocks that came out in 1975 on the CR models.

WR and CR both had the GP frame in 1976.

Both WR and CR might have lighting coil. (My original 1976 250CR's have Motoplats with lighting coils... I don't think the 360CR had the lighting coil?) CR is generally Motoplat CDI, WR is generally Femsa points. It varies depending on the exact model/year. There are at least 2 different crank stubs fro the different Motoplat and Femsa ignitions.

CR is "close ratio" trans

WR is "wide ratio" trans

"CC" was a term only used on the 175 model and stood for "Cross Country"
    electronplanet likes this.
  4. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    One more thing...

The GP frame CR models had "motocross" on the air filter cover

The GP frame WR models had "Cross Country" on the air filter cover

The GP frame CC (175) model had "Cross Country" on the air filter cover
    electronplanet likes this.
  5. Binx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 175 GP
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 BMW GS, 2004 Honda Ruckus
    fran k and markt2 - Thanks for your responses. Excellent clarification on the model names. I see the "GP" reference used frequently but I've never seen "GP" in the official Husky parts pdf or the workshop manual.

You can tell I'm a relative newbie to the world of vintage Huskys so your information extremely helpful. Thanks again. Binx