1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Need Help Identifying Metal on Drain Plug

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Crash Pilot, May 29, 2012.

1. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Hello

Need help identifying strange metal pieces found on the drain sump magnet of my 07 TE510. This is the second time I have found this in the last 2 oil changes.
    Found one last oil change and one this oil change. They appeared to be approx the same shape and length. No other metal or alloy found just these pieces. I notice these two pieces after I installed a rekluse clutch. Could this be from the clutch or from clutch less gear shifting or just a coincidence? Any help identifying these pieces or advise on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Other then this everything else is ok. Motor goes and sounds good.
    Attached is a link to the picture.
    What would people do in my case?
    http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii622/CrashPilot71/IMG_0178.jpg

Thanks

Jamie
  2. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    i dont know if im using the correct word!

but that piece is circular or is flat?
  3. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    The piece is flat with a slight curve.
  4. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Theoretically, any clutch garbage should not make it to the drain magnet. Pieces like that from the clutch side are prevented from flowing into the sump by the clutch screen. The clutch screen also prevents transmission garbage from traveling to the clutch area.
  5. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    i thing the same, but thinkin is not possible if that piece is from the conecting rod bearing on the border or some like that

sorry my english just wanna try to help
  6. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Guys thanks for your replies. Does this justify splitting the cases.
    Just trying to determine were I go from here.

I rode the bike last weekend and done a 100km ride. I will drop the oil and inspect for more metal this weekend.

If I find more metal then I guess I will be splitting the cases to inspect.

If there is no more metal then what should I do? Pull the clutch out and covers off without splitting and inspect what I can see or just split the cases.
    Does finding 2 pieces of metal the size of the one in the picture on the magnetic plug justify splitting the cases. Filter and screens have been spottless.

I know everyone has a different view on this however it would be nice to know what people would do in my situation.

Thanks
  7. I would not worry about that tiny piece unless it continued every oil change. Before I split the cases I would remove the clutch side case (the part the clutch cover bolts to), you can inspect quite a bit without pulling the motor. On my '05 TE510 there was a nut that backed out and spun into my case and caused some similar shavings and also ruined that side case.
  8. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Thanks sharpie1

I inspected the clutch without taking it out and everything looked ok.
    The metal was magnetic so it must be from the transmission somewhere.
  9. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

I spent about 45 minutes last night examining my 2 torn down motors. Nothing resembles what you got there. From tge pic it looks like a piece of cotter pin. Anyway I can only assume it's part of your rekluse. Lay the bike over on it's left side and pull the clutch cover. I would pull tge clutch out and check it.
    But like Stated by oldhuslyrider in theory if it did come from the clutch side it should have gotten caught in the screens.

How many miles are on that hotrod?
  10. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Here is the big-end connecting rod bearing cage ... I doubt that is it .. but that's the only thing I can see in the engine that is shaped like that ...

100_6094.JPG 100_6095.JPG
    HuskyGT likes this.
  11. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Please post more pics and length
  12. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
  13. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Guys

Thanks heaps for your help. You have put in alot of time trying to help me identify this piece of metal and I really appreciate it. Above is a better picture. It is about 6mm long and 1mm wide (.5mm thick). The first piece I found which I don't have anymore was about the same size by memory. I have about 4000 km on the bike.

Jamie
  14. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    yeah is not identical for anyways you have reason, so this is a mystery please post more pictures and exact dimensions
  15. Crash Pilot Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE510
    Guys

I drained the oil today through a strainer. There was no metal on the sump plug magnet or in the strainers. No metal particals found in the oil either. The bike had only done a 100km ride since the last oil change. I will pull the clutch out next weekend and inspect. Also I am due to check my valves so i will inspect the top of the motor while I have the cover off. I will change the oil frequently for the next few changes to see if I find anymore metal. If I find more metal I will split the case. If I don't then I will just keep monitoring it during oil changes.

Thanks for your help guys
  16. nige Husqvarna
    AA Class

hi there, following this post with interest as i have the same bike but less miles. the bits you show look to have a curve on them, indicating they come from somthing with a larger circumference than the bearing cage pictured. is it soft steel metal, or hard cast iron type metal, have a look through a lens, at least x15, this may give you more clues. keep us updated, nige
  17. rivet0r Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 SMR
    Hate to revive an old thread, but I have had shavings identical to this a couple oil changes now. Starting to concern me a bit..

Anyone ever figure this out? Anyone have any idea at all?
  18. Huskymad Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE 450
    Had a few of these on my 07 450 for a few oil changes a while back, took it to the husky shop and we matched it up with the transmission gear dogs which he had sitting on the bench. Looked to be what it was. They stopped coming out of the oil and I never worried about it.
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Dog ears? I'd never guessed that but when I was dabbling in the 70s models bikes at the turn of this century, dog-ears wear was a known issue across many bikes from that era and the fix was a new\different gear to keep the bike from popping outta gear. I'm hoping the bikes we own now do not have this issue 30 yrs from now ...
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Well said Ray. I remember tearing my Maico down (splitting cases) during the week and buying what
    I could afford that week to race on Sunday.