1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Need Headlight Upgrade for 1987 430WR - H4 LED Bulb Or ?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by HuskyGreg, Apr 17, 2023.

1. HuskyGreg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are there any inexpensive options to improve the dismal H4 halogen bulb's light output? I tried an LED H4 replacement for $10 and it won't turn on after trying several different wiring clip attempts. Any reasonable options out there?
  2. HuskyGreg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any ideas?
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    have you tested the output voltage of you mag generator?
  4. HuskyGreg Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have NOT tested the output and it is the original 1987 unit. Can you recommend a test method? I certainly can jump on the light output terminals with my voltage tester (the bulb has 3 connections at the 9, 12 and 3 clock positions as viewed from above gas tank and wires only on 2 of the connections (the 12 and 3 clock connections). I never understood how these connections operated other than the light worked, but not very bright, and the lumens increase a lot as I increase RPMS. At idle it is barely visible.

Perhaps my electrical stupidity is showing since I tried to run the new LED bulb on this old mag generator but the bulb claims a 10v low range.
  5. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    at idle it has pretty much no voltage
    at RPM it has a decent amount of light
    if you want it to be a consistent light you will need a battery
    the battery will carry the light at idle and the mag will recharge the battery at rpm
  6. HuskyGreg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your above narrative on voltage output describes my OEM 1987 mag system's behavior which is rated at 45W per the manual.

Does anyone have a simple schematic for settting up a sealed 12V battery system with a voltage regulator plus parts sites? I assume I can run the mag output to the new regulator (now goes straight to the lights) and the regulator's output to the front and rear lights. Then I will have stable light power output and can use the LED headlight requiring 10V minimum.
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    they actually do come with a regulator, it is a yellow wire and has a finned back
    battery design? don't know of a simple one for that
    but if you do something clever, please share