1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Need Another Fuel Pump

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by craigincali, Feb 5, 2018.

1. craigincali Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE450
    I have my stock fuel pump in my desert tank. Of course now I want to run the stock tank. What fuel pump are you guys having good luck with? What sealant are you using? Any guidance would be appreciated.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Aren't you gonna need another mounting plate, filter, pressure regulator, (low fuel sensor maybe... nah), plastic or metal outlet, immersible fuel lines, seals, hardware and electrical connections too?

...or do you already have that stuff? Lotsa of people like CA Cycleworks fuel pump ($120+). OTOH, 99% of all fuel pumps are made in china so your options are wide open ($12-$200).

I'm under the impression that people just transfer the pump assembly to the tank they're using. I'd use Yamabond or something similar if you're worried about leaks.

Use anti-seize on the nutserts in the tanks- but if it screws straight into the plastic, I'd be careful about too many install/removal cycles. low torque.

good luck.
  3. craigincali Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE450
    I am thinking about buying an entire assembly from AF1racing that way I can just switch tanks without having to remove the pump every time. For now I am just going to put the pump back on my stock tank.

Will I need to use some type of sealant or is the o-ring sufficient? Reason I am asking is that the desert tank needed sealant due to leaking around the plate. If you do recommend sealant what type would you use?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I am new to the bike.
  4. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I just ordered pump and regulator from highflowfuel.com ,I will do a follow up on it once I have it installed. The pump was listed specific for the Husky models, but are crossovers to ktm...I am taking a chance using the ktm pressure regulator because I have no idea what flow rate the Husky would generate. Since it was the 450Husky, I went for the regulator listed for the ktm 250-450 models that used the same pump. Paid just under 100.00. I never knew about the AF1Racing site... they have a great selection of replacement parts that are hard to find, like the u shaped bendable plastic hose, the smaller, more efficient efi style clamps, filters, etc.
    Most sealants won't work for fuel leakage but I've the sometime stringy, messy Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant with good results...some Jap carb companies use it to hold fuel bowl o'ring gaskets. You do not need a lot.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    no stupid questions at all.

Some aftermarket tanks were noted for having warpage around the fuel pump mounting plate; the stock tank, which is made by Acerbis usually, has a pretty good reputation.

The cost of the whole fuel pump/plate assembly (new) might be a $urpri$e to you. check out ebay and leave a search going there for a used assembly (2008-2010 TE, TXC 250-510s... and up to 2014 TC250Rs: same fuel pump w/ & w/o low fuel level sensor. maybe 610-630s too which might have a return inlet??). I would expect to pay $75 for a complete used one, guessing.
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I may have a spare mounting plate that only needs the pump replaced and maybe a new filter to play it safe.
  7. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    I received and installed my new Quantum Fuel pump (#HFP-389-HQ1)$69.98 and Quantum fuel regulator (#HFP-PR11)$29.98 from Quantum Fuel Systems, 4835 Colt Street, Unit E, Ventura, Ca. 93003. AND free shipping from site at highflowfuel.com. The pump comes with the upper fuel line (looks corrugated),2 clamps, new fuel filter and various mesh filters that are placed between pump intake and the main fuel pump tank mount assembly. You should consider replacing the shorter hose and clamps ( unless they are in good shape). The pressure regulator was listed for several KTM models so I went with that because some of them have identical set ups as Husky. The only thing I had any problem with is trying to save the internal star locking washers that keep regulator body secure. I was able to save mine, but ran to Ace hardware and found a bag of 6 for 89cents. I have ridden about 12 hours since install and no problems. I reused the large o'ring that secures the mount plate to tank, cleaned it thoroughly with alcohol and put a light skimming of Permatex High Tack Sealant and carefully tightened bolts. I let it cure for 24 hours before putting in fuel.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    there are two basic fuel regulators used- and they're both pretty much the same. (Also, 43psi seems to be a common pressure) The biggest difference is that one regulator has an outlet that you can attach a hose to, and redirect the bypassed fuel to someplace else (I think your TXC uses this kind. 4-bolt plastic fuel pump flange?). The other just dumps excess pressure out a hole. If you're wondering about the 43psi figure... that's 3bar; 50psi is 3.5bar. I'd guess that our huskys would run fine at either pressure (again, though- guessing)

But actually, either regulator should work just fine. If you don't need the outlet fitting and it's in the way, it looks like the pipe is just pressed in. On 6-bolt aluminum plate fuel pumps, there's a slot that is made for the outlet fitting, it looks like- so it may be designed to take either one.

regulator ca cycleworks.jpg pump assm with regulator slot 20180227_143333.jpg