1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Need a few parts...

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by SnoDrtRider, Apr 21, 2017.

1. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 BMW F 800 GS,1974 Yamaha TY 250
    Question on WR front number plates...
    I see in pictures that the front plates that are notched around the headlamps appear to have the raised bead around the cut out.
    Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I have an e-mail in to Phil in Arizona but haven't received a reply.

I am also in need of a new petcock for my 1980 WR 390 anyone have a low cost supplier?
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    The front plates with a pre-formed cut-out are available on ebay. Not sure if the radius is right as I have not tried one. I just use a standard oval front plate and cut the radius.

Petcocks .... you get what you pay for. New O.E. petcocks are available from Bing Power in Germany (Karcoma agents), or a stockist near you. The WR's had a reserve feature.
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    You can get the 82 WR headlight case from DC Plastics. You just have to open the holes and slots
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    new petcocks are on Ebay too
  5. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    The sellers on E-bay are bonkers!
    I can get a new one from HVA Factory for 38 Pounds but the shipping kills you for just one part and I don't want to wait to put a larger order together to make it worth the shipping.
  6. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thank you for that info grouty!
    Just got off the phone with Bing Agency International here in USA. They are in Kansas and I ordered two rebuild kits from a VERY knowledgeable guy named Charlie.
    The kits are available with either original cork seal or with a rubber seal. It also includes the screen and the seal for the petcock to tank connection as well as an O-ring that Charlie said my petcock probably doesn't use.
    I ordered two kits one of each just in case and the total was $34 and change including shipping!
    I did not price a new petcock but they are available.

Great lead!

http://www.bingcarburetor.com/petcocks.html
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    You solved your problem but it's good to have back up parts too.

There's a Suzuki '72 ts185 rubber grommet that fits the husky peacock. You can squeeze it in there then burnish the valve into it. The rubber is dull in color but it's burnished in when it's all shiney. Bring the valve with you to the Suzuki dealer I'm sure it's the ts185. A small screw driver or pic will pry it in.

In the bing list it's the same as #10-0469
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  8. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    They can be a pain to take apart !!! I would have got an order together and ordered from HVA. A new one complete is so much easier.
  9. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:

I've had this one apart and back together making my own seal out of cork sheet gasket material. I made my own gasket punches out of steel brake line tubing to punch the holes. Lasted a few months but I think the ethanol in our fuel got to it.
    Pretty simple to rebuild actually.
    I could have ordered a new one from Bing but I'm a cheap and stubborn bastard!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the supplier!
  10. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    no ethanol free pumps near you? keep it away from the small engines!
  11. SnoDrtRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 WR 390
    Other Motorcycles:

I have been fine for years using Seafoam to ward off the effects of ethanol in my small engine equipment and it has actually cured carb problems in a junk hedge trimmer. I fill my 5 gallon container and dose it with Seafoam so all equipment is on a steady diet of it.

The bike I fill a separate gallon container for my HP2 premix. Haven't seen any non-ethanol pumps in the area but this is New Jersey after all we are not even allowed to pump our own.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    seafoam is a decent cleaner and a great preservative. good idea to keep a bit running thru your stuff..startron will likely do a better job of straight up protecting against ethanol...you can always check out this place
    http://pure-gas.org/

might be a place near you